Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Anyone recommend a Thumb Spica ?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by p2user, Apr 6, 2013.

  1. p2user

    p2user Regular Member

    Mar 29, 2013
    Likes Received:
    I had De Quervain on my right hand and a steroid injection to settle the inflammation of my tendons and now been told that i need to build my strength up on my wrist and thumb. The consultant suggest I get a thumb spica to help while i strengthen my wrist/thumb especially if i want to start playing badminton again. Does anyone have a recommendation for a thumb spica?
  2. Fidget

    Fidget Regular Member

    Mar 4, 2008
    Likes Received:
    If you are going to use a thumb spica for your deQuervain's (or any other splinting for any area where you are hoping to to start using it quickly) then I would highly suggest that you consider speaking with an occupational therapist (OT).

    The equipment required is cheap and simple. But the therapist shapes it for you and your purposes exactly. Much better than trying to find something off the shelf.

    I speak from experience, having had bilateral deQuervain's tenosynovitis from carrying twins around (and being married to an OT). :rolleyes: Good luck.
    #2 Fidget, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. raceto21

    raceto21 Regular Member

    Aug 21, 2009
    Likes Received:
    i would recommend it....

    the thumb spica is used to assure that your thumb is immobilized and does not do any grasping or wringing actions, it is usually placed after steroid injection for your condition and specially so if the injection is a second treatment if the initial injection treatment failed to help.
    proper placement or should i say "positioning" of the thumb spica is needed which i believe your doctor or specialist is well trained with. another alternative to the spica is a "simpler" dorsal hood splint which can be placed by an occupational therapist. if i remember right there should be some radial deviation and wrist extension of the affected hand/wrist.
    pray this treatment helps, otherwise you might need to get surgery if symptoms persist or worsens.
    lastly- make sure you ask questions to your doctor on what to do and expect for the next few weeks while on the spica ( therapy, icing vs heat etc etc ) .
    heal well !

Share This Page