Badminton manufacturers are to produce rackets for left-handed players

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chris-ccc, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I have always had the idea that left-handers wrap their grips opposite to righties (i.e. anti-clockwise if looking from the bottom of the handle). If not, you could always try some sort of CSI-style thermal analysis to detect the handprint... or a priest to detect the EVIL OF THE SINISTRIST!:D.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Why do manufacturers not wrap some of their handles for left-handed players?

Correct. :):):)

Left-handers are always complaining - "Why do manufacturers not wrap some of their handles for left-handed players?"

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Indeed, most of the grips I have seen/bought are cut at the bottom in such a way as to make right handed wrapping the far easier option. I guess one in nine lefties isn't enough to warrant special treatment:rolleyes:.

4. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I looked last night at my rackets and realised that most of them are gripped with the fingers aligning with the grip, but a few weren't and I couldn't feel much difference.

I use Karakal PU grips normally with no ribbing in the grip (so the grip is flat/smooth) and am right handed. I recently purchased a 2nd hand racket with a new grip and it the grip was ribbed (part of it are elevated higher than others) and it feels much better to play with. The grip is much thinner yet I can hold onto the racket more easily.

So I tried gripping another racket with some parts of the grip raised but running against where my fingers lie (ie gripped for left handers). It felt a bit odd.

So to conclude if you use a smooth grip I don't think there's that much difference in which way around you wrap the racket. As soon as you add lumps and bumps into it then wrapping it the right way around becomes more important.

Also using the Karakal grips to produce this effect was a bad idea as the grip ended up being absolutely huge and not stuck down well. Thin Yonex overgrips worked a lot better.

5. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Wow good job eh !
    How did you done it ?