BWF Reviews Scoring System

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, May 20, 2014.

1. event

event Regular Member

2. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

3 consecutive points to win a game.
    3 games to win a set.
    3 sets to win a match.

3. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

its NOT my idea. read it off somewhere. with this system, it overcomes a big gripe of mine - losing a match on my serve wth the present rally 3x21. i presume its 3/5 games for a set; a 3/5 sets for a match.

4. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Watching numerous matches in the CW Games has only convinced me more that 5 x 11 will be way better than 3 x 21. Table tennis went this way and I can only see it being good for badminton. But I wonder what local league clubs will do in non-match club nights. Will these single games be to 11 points also, meaning a quicker turnaround of court time?

5. kruntil

kruntil Regular Member

why 11? why not 10? it's more fair. you play 5 here and 5 there.

6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Why? Personally I really like the 3x21 system. It gets more exciting when the match/game reaches a deuce.

7. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I'm in the minority as I would like to see the 5x11 format. Excited to see it introduced soon and how the games play out. No doubt, the deuce factor does make it very exciting but is not common. I don't forget that it is balanced by many 21-12, 21-14 large gap games.

8. lumeng

lumeng Regular Member

Official BWF news release about the testing of the new 5x11 scoring system: http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=85879

The first event using the system will be the Astec Indonesia Int'l Challenge 2014 (12 -16 Aug.).

There will be online poll for fans to vote and to chime in on the new scoring system.

9. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The list of tournaments testing the new scoring system:

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=570497&dl=1

No tournaments will be broadcasted on YouTube though. The highest ranking tournament that will be testing it will be the 2014 Dutch Open Grand Prix.

There was already an online poll from BWF asking about what we thought about the system.

10. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Event,
    Did the Korean team try out the 5x11 system? How many of us had try it? I did several weeks ago and it was challenging.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    http://www.badzine.net/news/new-scoring-system-gets-first-try-out-in-brazil-open/31830/

New scoring system gets first try out in Brazil Open
    BY RAPHAEL SACHETAT – – AUGUST 6, 2014

The first day of the Brazil Open Grand Prix featured the potential new scoring system. 15 matches were played for the qualification round with the best of 5 games to 11 points. The shortest match was 13 minutes and the longest 31 minutes – a clear change from a regular tournament with the current scoring system. The average length of matches was about 20 minutes.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    http://www.badzine.net/news/no-global-coverage-for-scoring-system-trial/31267/

No global coverage for scoring system trial?
    BY DON HEARN – – JULY 2, 2014POSTED IN: NEWS

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) released a list of tournaments that will be testing the 5×11-point scoring system and one thing that stands out is that only one Grand Prix event, the 2014 Dutch Open is included. As only events up to Grand Prix Gold level are eligible to participate in the trial, only two events expected to feature on the BWF’s Youtube channel – the Indonesia Grand Prix Gold and the Bitburger Open – fall within the August 1st – November 1st trial period and neither is on the list of tournaments trying out the proposed system. This means that apart from players and officials, only fans who can attend one of the affected tournaments in person or who are lucky enough to enjoy local or regional television coverage will get the chance to make their own assessments of the proposed system as it plays out with world class players.

The good news is that the 31 participating tournaments span 6 continents; furthermore, streamed coverage for two of the highest-profile events in the trial should be available for all viewers with access to Badminton Europe’s online streaming service.

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

This is ridiculous...

14. event

event Regular Member

Just as a reminder, there is actually no need to cut and paste the text of Badzine articles. All content is available free of charge and restriction to all visitors to the website so linking keeps everyone happy.

15. event

event Regular Member

I don't know if the Korean team has tried it. The recent national school championships used the existing 3x21 system. The new Korean League has been more experimental. They have team ties consisting of two doubles and one singles match. In the first part of the round robin, in the spring, they had matches of 21, 21, and 15 but for the 2nd part in the last week, they went to 3x15 with extra points.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  17. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Thanks. I tried it (11 x 5) several weeks back and it was challenging. Tactics and strategy are different. The pace is quick and slow starters are punish. Hesitate and you're dead. In all, what you are good at will now have to be better. Your ability to adapt and change pace as the game go on is to your advantage and likewise your opponent would do the same.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks for link, would be interesting to see a vid of this game to see how exciting the new system is
    score.jpg

Does look like a few matches that went all the way to the last end lasted about 40minutes so I suppose it has hit it's intended target there.

Sabrina Jaquet in a 7 minute 4 ender today:eek:

#158 craigandy, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #159 pcll99, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member