Custom-Made Stringing Machine Parts

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Standing Ovation!

Let's have photos of the setup please :D!

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Just for Pete...:p

The height above the bed is more of an issue than I thought, so I'm having my support arms skimmed by a good 5 mm as soon as I can. The result will be a frame that's as close to the puller head's level as possible, once I remove the 12/6 rubber mats, and then all will be well. (If any of you BCers out there have access to milling machine with an endmill and can help me out with this, do let me know - I'm looking at you, Nick W.:D).

The brackets are extremely long and so may interfere with an awl's handle (unless your awl has a spike more than eight inches long), so I've put mine as close as possible to, but outside, the last shared holes at each corner. They look thin in the pictures, but they are a good 3 mm thicker than the PS badminton mounts. The padding is perfect, and keeps frame rotation within the brackets to a minimum.

Attached Files:

3. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Same setup.
    And the height is same as Mark.

PC260118.jpg

PC260119.jpg

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Valentinas - have you strung rackets at this height? If so, did you notice any frame "twist"/torque? I know that a lot of the top-end machines don't have any horizontal support at 12/6; the puller angle is what bothers me, i.e. I would have to pull from further away to get the same shallow angle.

You happen to have exactly the same machine with exactly the same clamps as I have, I noticed:D O/T, may I ask where you got your Yonex H-piece (can be seen at 12 o'clock)?

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Frame Holding Ability

So, in terms of holding the frame, are the new supports capable of less distortion than the previous ones? Do you still need to add 6.45% (about 2 lbs) on the cross?

6. Valentinas

consultant
    I haven't noticed any twisting - may be because I tightened the nuts on shoulder supports (they were moving up/down freely).

Since I am using Stringway tensioner - I have adjusted the height of the turntable so the string pulled is almost horisontal. Just changed standard 25 mm long bolts with 40 mm long bolts and used some metal washers to fine-tune the height.

Yes - I have tried a 3-tooth badminton clamps - it is crap. 5 tooth clamps are just perfect - after you use some fine sand-paper on them :).

The H-piece is from shuttle-house. Veeeeeery expensive.

Regards,

Valentinas

#126 Valentinas, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

An idea for anybody who wants to lower the height of the racket (Valentinas, especially):

*remove the support arms completely from the machine, leaving the splined/threaded shafts in place;
    *add washers to the shafts (each set of washers has to be identical);
    *replace the arms

This will have the effect of forcing the entire arms downwards - no need for skimming the metal. The springs should still engage the arms on the back side, they'll just sit lower. I'll be trying this myself later in the week, and if it works I'll do a pictured guide in case any other Eagnas owners fancy doing it.

8. Valentinas

consultant
    Hi Mark.

What problem exactly are you trying to solve?

In my setup racket with a small head (say arcsaber z-slash) will not reach the posts at all. Bigger headed rackets overlaps with the posts. But difference in height between my old setup and new one is only 1-2 mm. It was always some clearance between racket and ruber padding. Simple contact with a post will not prevent twisting by itself - you need some kind of counter force (like placing a wide plastic pad under and a brick on the top - just kidding) like shuttle express has.

If for some reasons you do need a contact between frame and a post - then remove the rubber pads and make a set of plastic ones with slightly different thickness to be able to string slim/narrow and thick frames.

If you try to lower the arms by adding the washers then the end of a bolt pressing the shoulder arm inwards will not fit into the groove on the arm.

Regards,

Valentinas

9. Valentinas

consultant
    Hi Pete.

I do not have enough statistics yet. Stringing obviously becomes more comfortable :). Not even small marks left in contact points on the frame.
    Stringed 3 AT700 at 13 kg with a new setup - seems that the frame distortion is the same. I think that the next step for eagnas users is to replace the shoulder arms to reduce the up/down movement and outward twisting.

Regards,
    Valentinas

10. Michal

Michal Regular Member

Hello all,
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that the supports work correctly.

About right supports angle. This issue is easy to solve. In the next version I can weld a upper part on a base aslant (two from left to right, two right to left). The angle beetween supports and the frame racquet will be around tangential.

About suppors height. In my opinion there is no need to lie a racquet frame on the 6/12 rubber padding. Some manufactures have the same view on this issue. If anyone thinks otherwise Mark method solves this problem perfectly- I've seen a construcion of machine arm.

In January I can make the other ordered supports (Maa2003 and DinkAlot- Pro's Pro/Eagnas machine; Signflip4life and Fidget- Silent Partner machine).

If there were some comments, suggestion about supports, please write.

Best wishes,
    Michal

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With regard to the string angle issue, Valentinas is 100% correct in that he washer/spacer solution won't work - the control knobs are designed to work with the arms at the standard height.

However, as an alternative to removing metal from the arms it would probably be easier to remove some metal from the bottoms of the support towers themelves (where they contact the turntable). This would still bring the racket downward w.r.t the puller, but would only need two machinings instead of four.

This may all be my OCD asserting itself - when I string a racket with them I'll also do one identically with the standard supports and comapre the pitch after 24 hrs. If they're the same (or as close as makes no difference - I can only hear 1/2 a pound anyway) I'll consider the matter closed and leave everything as it is:D.

12. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Mark's solution is an interesting one. Shortening the actual support towers would achieve it in a much easier manner than replacing supports. The only problem with that solution is the fact that most towers I've seen aren't solid metal. They're actually hollow for the most part, which can limit how much it can be shortened.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Valentinas,

Outward twisting is a tough one to solve. The shoulder arms get to be exceptionally stiff. Just look at the Yonex ES5 Pro Tech. Those are beefy shoulder arms. We are talking major metal works here.

-Pete

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I noticed that after a few month's use my supports arms' nuts became loose - it's very subtle and builds very slowly over time, and it's something you may want to check for. Trying holding the ends of the arms and moving them up and down to check for looseness, and if there is any, do as follows:

Get the arms into their normal position (i.e. where they would be if they were holding a racket) and use a 19 mm spanner to tighten the nuts from underneath. Tighten each one a little at a time and try to wiggle the arms in the up-down direction - if there is no play the nut is tight enough, but tighten them to the absolute minimum necessary and check for smooth in/out movement once this is done.

The nuts in question are Nylok, but the Nylon wears out after a while so you might want to use Loctite or epoxy to keep the nut in place.

15. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Some features of the base and clamp look a lot like a babolat machine ; )

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Review

I just took the Michal supports for an impromptu spin, so I thought I'd share my findings for any potential buyers. Racket done at 25 lbs (a low tension, yes, but I'll try a 32 lb job once my new racket gets here).

My main worry, the racket frame height, didn't pan out. Even though the racket floats a good 4-5 mm above standard, I've seen larger angles on other machines - the ES5Pro is comparable, for example. I checked the frame at numerous points during stringing, looking for torque and/or twisting, and there was none; the racket came out as symmetrical and as flat as it went in.

In use these supports put the standard K brackets to shame. The K brackets have to be placed very carefully to avoid covering any holes whatsoever, as there isn't enough room around the back to push a string through even a single-pass hole (especially if a main loop is involved); the Ms have a vast gulf in which to play, so as long as you don't plonk them right on top of a shared hole, and account for awl clearance, you can pretty much put them anywhere. In addition, there is no protrusion into the string area whatsoever, so they will not interfere with clamping.

The padding is perfect - no other word for it - as it has more give than the K bracket and, thereby, better "grip" on the frame, preventing twist. The edges where the string could foul during pulling were in now way sharp or rough.

Improvements? Aside from the excessive height (which is no more than a niggle to my OCD), the only change I would make is to either make thinner or completely remove the rear thread, as it is possible that users would be unable to turn the Ms far enough to get a perfect 90 degree contact with the frame

I would heartily recommend these to any stringer with an appropriate Eagnas-style fitment:D. I wonder if Michal is planning any for tennis and squash...

17. Valentinas

consultant
    Hi to all

I must agree with Mark second time.
    Michal's supports are way better compared to standart K-type supports from eagnas/pro's pro. Yea, I must say that to avoid the up/down movement of the side supports you must place them to the "working" position and adjust the nylon nuts with a 19 mm wrench. It can possible cause the non-returning of the shoulder supports to the starring position, but will definitely eliminate up/down movement of the side supports.
    Michal's support will definitely make stringing very comfortable because there is no protruding parts. No marks on the frame - there are more contact points :)
    My advice will be not to try move any of the small parts of the system - if racket is too low - then move up the stringing table (use washers and longer bolts - tested :)), if racket is too low - then move the puller up.
    When using Machal's suppors you must forget about the racket frame height - because there is no such thing anymore. You must realise that so called "floor" changes everytime depending of the racket frame's width everytime.

So order the brand new supports from Michal, use them and enjoy. Before enjoying - make sure you are prepared :).

Regards and Happy New Year,

Valentinas

#137 Valentinas, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  18. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Hi all, I've been following this thread and found it quite interesting. I string tennis rackets and occationally a badminton racket once in a while. I'd like to know if someone thought of using a plastic like Delrin (polyoxymethylene) to make the side support mounts? Delrin can be CNC'd or moulded into the shape required.

19. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hi everyone, I recently strung a racquet using a 6-point machine that was given to me and I found problems with getting the clamps close enough. This machine "Klip Pro G" only had tennis supports. You people gave me the idea to add badminton supports to the existing posts. Since I did not have the right materials on hand, I used some 3mm thick aluminium, two pieces bolted together and milled out a shape to suit the radius of the newer racquets with some clearance. This was just a conceptual test to see if it would be ok - I only made two because I had to fight my milling machine, the mills were coming loose. Here are some pics. DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00139.jpg
    Basically, from conception and measurement to make a prototype - less than a day. Design #2 was to refine the contact shape to add a smaller radius for the older racquets. Design #3 would be to make a replacement support, so I can swap out the tennis and put in the badminton and make this out of either aluminium, polycarbonate (lexan = clear bulletproof) or acetal/delrin - except that I don't have the material. If I continue and make later prototypes out of aluminium, I would dip the tips into a rubber compound to make them softer. Anyway, I wanted to thank you people for doing a lot of the thinking and for giving me this idea.

20. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    That machine looks like an older Gamma/Toalson. I think these shoulder adapters might work.
    MBMSP_large.jpg
    It may not be custom made, but might be less expensive.