Definition of Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mongoose, May 17, 2006.

1. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

chris@ccc - 50 kids :eek: I guess I can't complain but it's not ideal is it. I guess it's because coaches are hard to come by in Australia for sports like badminton.

After watching 2 Indonesian coaches with 8 kids in Jakarta I was surprised. We don't do such a bad job considering we aren't that great at the sport here. We cover most of the important stuff and have to work much harder with all those kids.

I see badminton Australia is trying to put in place a certain standard of badminton coaching in each state by appointing head coaches to follow a curriculum. That will hopefully mean players with potential will be discovered all around the country and it will finally be less Melbourne centered. I wonder how they grade players?

We'd love to beat you Victorian's one day even though I'm a Victorian at heart.

Tim H

2. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Does the number of years really count in playing badminton? I know some people who sound like they are around intermediate level and they have only been playing for about a year...

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton is a sport requiring good eye-hand coordinations

TNBRE ... Because Badminton is a sport requiring good eye-hand coordinations, it is not a surprise that many players coming from other sports such as Tennis, Table Tennis, Squash, etc... are picking up our Badminton rather quickly and with some ease. Perhaps, those people you have mentioned come from those sports.

Another thing that I have noticed is that new players to Badminton coming from running sports such as Soccer, Field Hokey, Athletics, etc... fit into our Singles games like a duck being thrown into a pond (in the court coverage, I mean). :):):)

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Now that Xmas and the New Year are out of the way I'll start looking into a Merit system. I understand your predicament also! I started coaching juniors 8 years ago, then began a Junior Club 2 years after due to the popularity and the need to attract grants for development. Some weeks there are 28 juniors competing for space on 5 courts. Thankfully one of the parents showed interest in coaching last year and now one or two of the older juniors are also assistant coaches. It takes time I know. Try not to beat yourself up about your effectiveness with such a large group, every little bit you do IS vitally important. There are times when I get home when I reflect on the session and I feel guilty that I didn't help everyone. The important thing is that the players are there trying and enjoying the session.

5. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

How would you guys rate high school varsity players female and male?

Like moderate or adequate schools in badminton, not really crappy schools.

6. tenggk

tenggk Regular Member

Year 2009 will be gone and we welcome 2010. I like to bring up this old thread, not only to judge but also to bring a few of us back to earth.

Today, I was chatting with a close friend and the topic was "Level of Play". In a way or another, he finds it amusing that many players (in the forum) are rating themselves as "Intermediate" when they are not and it appears that there isn't many "beginners" at all. "Are they really that good?". "Is there a universal standard for us to follow?".

Just for the thought and discussion. No punt intended. I really like the way Mongoose had laid out his own way of system. :)

A low beginner I am. Love it. :D

#126 tenggk, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

THUD, ouch!?!?!.....good one jim...:p:D

8. wassup

wassup Regular Member

I'm a beginner! wohoo beginner for the win! =) :D

9. Benny Fan

Benny Fan Regular Member

ranking dragon tiger chart

Me too.... may the underdogs win one day!!:D

we can also have like government got come out with schoool ranking har, we do a ranking for diferent groups in Badminton Ctr so that ang mo tourists or locals can use as a guide to pick badminton group (which one value added) or .... Locals wont join wrong group and kana left right centre....

Or we can do special commendation to below groups:

1. By Skill- Starting with advance group, I think on the west side, should be Twister (JE) and Iwan's Group (Bishan), etc....

2. By economy - Alex saturaday Unity Sec school - most economical - 5pm to 9pm only <SGD7... shuttles also not bad, environment also satisfactory for badminton game.....

3. By friendliness - all groups are friendly but JBLLP's saturaday group at Bukit View Sec school 6pm to 9pm is most friendly, everyweek also sms players to join, always smile smile, etc..

etc..;)

10. ottan

ottan Regular Member

Optical Engineering

Easy , clear for player look for suitable group

11. Jughead Jones

Jughead Jones Regular Member

Accountant
    #3!!! 101% agree!! also you can add Ron's (Cannotliao) Group @ BGombak every wednesday and sunday...:D

12. Benny Fan

Benny Fan Regular Member

friendliness

Cannotliao Wed gp Gombak also friendly, but don't have sms service every week to ask members to join leh... Cannotliao maybe can consider sms services. To give himself an added edge, whatabout free drinks and food during the game? :rolleyes::rolleyes: (I think cheese cake and coke zero are nice, but cost must not change!!)

As players, we should demand more to increase the service level of hosts. :D:D

#132 Benny Fan, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  13. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Ha ha, good thread.

One question how long does it take a beginner to graduate to intermediate? and intermediate to a more advaced level?

I reckon around 2 years of weekly (2-3 times) to improve one level.

I'm sure many beginners have improved playing over the years. Same as intermediates. On the other hand, some people can stagnate, etc studies/marriage/work etc.

Even all advanced or Pro players start off as noobs.
    But pros starts off at a very young age (as children). They probably have 10 years experience by the time they are 21 years old.

14. Benny Fan

Benny Fan Regular Member

stages

It does not subtract fun from my game even when I am a Beginner. :D:cool:

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Another way to see it is.

1) Beginners - cant rally much. 1-2 shots on average during a game.
    2) Intermediate - 1-2 rounder in competition at most.
    3) Advance - won some open tournaments. Non age group.
    4) Pro - hohoho... national players. Agreed. Paid to play. ;)

Just suggestions to keep it simple. ;)

16. Coldly315

Coldly315 Regular Member

schoolboy
    There newbie no? Mens me cannot 1 shot during game. I've always miss :mad:.

17. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

this looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fUN!!!!!!!!!!!

18. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Alright. So, I'm about to organize a tournament in our office. Levelling will start this April. In our previous tournaments, we hire organizers to hold the event. But since we're cost-cutting, they gave the responsibility to me, being the consistent champ in our office (my officemates are not strong players and not as addict as I am in badminton). I pretty much have an idea of how to level the players. I usually go with my gut feeling. The question is, what do you think is the best way to grade them in the technical aspect?

19. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

*It`s rather difficult to tell a man`s level who is both physically and psychologically stronger and tougher than you.It`s easier for someone in your level or better perfomers to tell you what level you`re in.When you travel to some other countries and play some local tournaments,you`ll realiz what level you are in too if there was a grading system.If there was one I would say this for both mentally and physically:
    1:Very beginner
    2:Beginner
    3:Upper beginner
    4:Lower intermediate
    5:Intermediate
    6:Higher intermediate
    7:Lower advanced
    8:Advanced
    9:Higher advanced
    10:Semi-professional(s)
    11:The Professional(s)

*I believe there`s a time table for every individual because for me badminton is a life not just a game.It`s easy for everyone to reach advanced level.Although not everyone has the chance.

*I`d make up a chart and a plan for ones who needed it for educational purpose.

20. Redhawk

Redhawk Regular Member

I think this is the most accurate breakdown. I read this and was able to place everybody in my gym into a category. Thanks Dan