How to change G6 grip to G5

Discussion in 'Grip' started by frostcone, Dec 17, 2023.

1. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

What's your experience with G6 grip? I'm wondering how many grips would it take to make a G6 similar to G5? Some rackets only have G6 unfortunately.

A few methods I have not tried:
    Original + several layers of cushion wrap + Overgrip
    Original + 2 Overgrip
    3 Overgrips (original removed)
    or 2 Replacement grips...

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

How big is your palm?
    You overcomplicated thing brother.
    G4, G5, or whatever G is just standard measurement for grip size. But the main issue, is that nobody palm size is equal or standarize.
    Many of us would feel like G5 is to small yet G4 still ackwardly oversize but damn .... No G4.5.
    Well, its really a huge issue if manufacturer had to provide racket for all size like 4,4.1, 4.2, 4.3, ...
    The best thing is that we all can customize it with anything which works for us & fit our non standard palm.
    Use cushion wrap. If you dont like soft feel, use electrical tape before applying overgrip. Or you would want double or triple overgrip. Anything that works for you.

Cheung likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have several N7II in S1 and S2 and I'm quite sensitive (OCD) to grip size and running two different sizes was no option.

My standard setup on S2 is with some cushion wrap and one 0.6mm overgrip with a bit less than 50% overlap on an wooden handle with electric tape.

I personally had the same dilemma how I can get a consistent handle size without changing my gripping routine. I tried a heat shrink tube over the wooden handle. I tturned out for me that I still need to adjust my wrapping routine to have an equal feel because it added too much. A few layers of cushion wrap made the grip feel spongy. Especially the feel in bevel grip was weird.

My solution is a thin overgrip (0.6mm) with 0 overlap (edge to edge) around the wooden handle wrapped under tension and fixing it with a layer of electric tape. That's for me close to perfect and the edges don't get round or softend.

#3 ucantseeme, Dec 26, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023