Injury prone ?? (Singles / Doubles)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by dnewguy, Aug 20, 2023.

1. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello all,

I might've sprained my right ankle yesterday playing multiple singles with a much better player.

I was moving fast towards net from the back court anticipating a drop when he flicked the shuttle back to my deep forehand, I jumped up trying to catch it with my right hand (racquet) stretched towards ceiling. I landed with my body straight at an angle of 45° and my right foot caught all the weight with my foot parallel to the net pointing right.
    Now I have soreness & mild swelling below the medial malleolus (bony part of ankle towards midline).
    I continued to play afterwards because the pain was minimal/absent. Now I can see some swelling with tenderness.

I have decided to give it a rest for a few days & observe before stepping back on court.

I couldn't help but wonder if playing Singles is inherently more injury prone as compared to a Doubles format o_O

#1 dnewguy, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

The answer is... yes.

Make sure you ice it lots.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

dnewguy likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Keep the foot raised up when you’re at rest. Might help lessen the swelling.

dnewguy likes this.
  4. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

Sorry to hear about your ankle sprain, get well soon!

My thoughts on ice are to use it only if you feel it is necessary for managing soreness or excessive swelling.

There has been some discussion already about it being counter-productive to recovery.

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/“rice-method”-is-out-dated.166609/

Re Singles vs Doubles for injuries, I'm very aware of my own abilities so I haven't had any major injuries and I mostly play singles. In doubles the worst thing is to get hit by your partner's racquet. In that situation, either get out of the way or hope your partner shows mercy.

5. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Thanks.

I have gone through the link earlier too.
    Personally I'm not very fond of icing either but that's purely cz it's more messy :p
    When I saw some bluish discoloration under the ankle I did some icing yesterday. Also took some painkillers.
    The swelling or pain isn't much for now. Atleast walking/weight bearing is as usual.

Let's see how we do without pills for a day:)