Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

I would love to see the world best two singles vs the best men's doubles!!! Hope it'll be exciting!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... Fu/Cai better take it easy on them... ;)

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I am surprised that LCW says he has never played doubles before. Maybe he meant that he never competed in doubles at a high level ? Or he never competed in men's doubles ?

He won the Selangor badminton open 2012 mixed doubles partnering Vivian Hoo.

He has also partnered Tine Baun in Indian Badminton League last year.

For men's doubles, he did partnered Taufik before and also against Peter Gade in Manila though both are exhibition matches.

Probably misquoted by the papers or he meant to say that doubles isn't what he focus on.

Regardless, this is a match I definitely want to see ! Anyone know if there's live streaming ?

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Really want to watch this exhibition match... two of the best MD players ever vs two of the best MS players ever. What more can you want?

If anyone knows where we can watch this match online please post a link!!! :)

5. liiil

liiil Regular Member

LCW actually played doubles on the international level in 1999-2001, those were Malaysia Satellite 1999 (where he partnered Tan Tong Hai), Malaysia Open 2000 and Singapore International 2001 (where he partnered another singles player Kuan Beng Hong). Perhaps, what he meant by "before" was "for a very long time up to now" :)

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chong Wei donates racquet to good cause

http://www.bt.com.bn/sports-national/2014/02/22/chong-wei-donates-racquet-good-cause

Excerpts:

...Chong Wei gave away the racquet that was used to win his 10th Malaysian Open title to kick-start the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) Equipment Donation Project yesterday.

“I can picture a child from a poorer nation holding my racquet. It is a good way to encourage the children to play the game and promote the sport,” said Chong Wei, who handed over the racquet with his initials to BWF’s representatives on Friday. Several other Malaysian players also contributed.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    his racquet cloud has been sold for more $$$ and help these children life & get them cheaper racquets for begineer

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lee chong wei say he injured his leg~~~lol~~~
    he said lindan do most of the smash.<===he must have wrong memory or i watch wrong match!

9. liiil

liiil Regular Member

Yes, strange statements from him lately. First he lied about having never played doubles in the past, and now this...

10. SibugiChai

YAB
    I guess it must be wrong interpretation, no reason for him to lie, anyhow datuklee has limited vocab... No disrespect

11. zamrioo2

zamrioo2 Regular Member

technician
    i think he want to keep it low of himself...

12. liiil

liiil Regular Member

He seems to be very nervous everytime he gives an interview as if he has to explain or justify himself. He has no reason to lie, of course, but these statements only confuse his fans and supporters.

13. SibugiChai

YAB
    i am not sure its because of Asian culture which are more conservative, i found that Asian athlete generally are more reserve / nervous during interview...

on the contrary i find that american athlete even at high school age seems to enjoy the limelight

14. liiil

liiil Regular Member

It's probably true in general, however most Chinese, Korean and some Indonesian players don't look that shy and nervous when passing an interview. Take LD, CL, THW, LYD - sometimes they give an in-depth analysis of the match similar to European players, whereas modest guys like LCW or NTM just say they were happy to win and thank the crowd for support. Was LCW interviewed in Chinese when he said about LD covering for him?

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Meanwhile..... :eek: :crying: :mad: :p

From the official Olympics youtube channel...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytjD4f_I0sc
    Lin Dan (CHN) v Lee Chong Wei (KOR) - Men's Badminton Singles

And you thought only BWF could do epic blunders???

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if this clears any doubt that LCW will or will not participate in RIO.

It is in Chinese, the question was how the reduction to 2 qualification spots per country in Rio affect him, LCW replies that it probably won't affect him (and Malaysia) that much, but he also diplomatically says he needs to takes things year by year (or step by step?). which pretty much means that Rio has not be shut from his mind and he is going to go for it.

and honestly given the current state of the other MS players in Malaysia, unlikely there will be anyone that will catch up with LCW in the next 2 years, and the qualification period starts next year.

[video=youtube;-Ysg-y1NYVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ysg-y1NYVg[/video]

17. SibugiChai

YAB
    [h=2]Chong Wei may skip All-England[/h]BY KNG ZHENG GUAN

[​IMG]Lee Chong Wei in a file photo. He will decide on Saturday if he is going to the All-England. – FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

PETALING JAYA: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei may yet skip the All-England after all.
    The 31-year-old Chong Wei, who won the All-England twice in 2010 and 2011, has been troubled by an ankle injury the past week.
    Chong Wei was due to depart for Birmingham on Saturday. On Friday, he confirmed that he is still not fully recovered from the ankle (left) injury he picked up whilst playing in a doubles exhibition match with Lin Dan two weeks ago.
    “I have not made up my mind on whether I will make the trip to Birmingham. The injury is still bothering me and I will only make my decision tomorrow,” said Chong Wei, who is supposed to meet Thailand’s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk in the first round.
    If the Penangite decides to pull out, China’s world No. 2 Chen Long will be almost certain to retain his title.
    Another player who is set to benefit is national No. 2 Chong Wei Feng.
    The scrawny Wei Feng who has yet to win a single match this year, losing in the first round of the Korean and Malaysian Opens, starts his All-England campaign against Germany’s Marc Zwiebler.
    The Kedahan however is unfortunately drawn to meet Chong Wei in the second round should he make it that far.
    Malaysia will also have Liew Daren and professional shuttlers Misbun Ramdan Misbun and Zulfadli Zulkiffli in the fray although the trio will start from the qualifiers and will struggle to make the main draw.

18. SibugiChai

YAB
    Chong Wei may skip All-England

BY KNG ZHENG GUAN

[​IMG]Lee Chong Wei in a file photo. He will decide on Saturday if he is going to the All-England. – FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

PETALING JAYA: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei may yet skip the All-England after all.

The 31-year-old Chong Wei, who won the All-England twice in 2010 and 2011, has been troubled by an ankle injury the past week.

Chong Wei was due to depart for Birmingham on Saturday. On Friday, he confirmed that he is still not fully recovered from the ankle (left) injury he picked up whilst playing in a doubles exhibition match with Lin Dan two weeks ago.

“I have not made up my mind on whether I will make the trip to Birmingham. The injury is still bothering me and I will only make my decision tomorrow,” said Chong Wei, who is supposed to meet Thailand’s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk in the first round.

If the Penangite decides to pull out, China’s world No. 2 Chen Long will be almost certain to retain his title.

Another player who is set to benefit is national No. 2 Chong Wei Feng.

The scrawny Wei Feng who has yet to win a single match this year, losing in the first round of the Korean and Malaysian Opens, starts his All-England campaign against Germany’s Marc Zwiebler.

The Kedahan however is unfortunately drawn to meet Chong Wei in the second round should he make it that far.

Malaysia will also have Liew Daren and professional shuttlers Misbun Ramdan Misbun and Zulfadli Zulkiffli in the fray although the trio will start from the qualifiers and will struggle to make the main draw.

19. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

it's better for him to skip All England in order to recover his ankle injury, some more let chong wei feng make path at least QF...

20. SibugiChai

YAB
    datuklee already 32++ not easy to recover from injuries like younger days, better be careful lol

anyhow, will he get fine, for skipping premeir super series ???