Modification to Racket Handles?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by NickifiedNg, Jun 11, 2023.

1. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

I really like thin grips, I usually put a thin layer of cushion wrap on the wooden handle, and then a thin Yonex overgrip over it. I find this setup being the best as it gives me good enough thickness to tighten because i have smaller hands. Yes wrapping more cushion wrap makes the edges softer, but it's too thick (;);))
    However I do find the sharp edges of the handle does give my thumb blisters after prolong playing sessions.

Im thinking of sanding down the edges to a more dull edge, has anyone on here tried it before?
    Also, If i were to drill some holes in the wooden grip, I could possibly make the racket lighter/more head heavier too.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    For sanding down handles @swsh should be your man. IIRC @DuckFeet could be that, too.

In 2023 you should already know that reducing weight at the handle it don't adds weight to the head. The balance point will change, that's it. I guess drilling extra holes can harm the stability of the handle.

Have you tried other combinations? E.g. 0.4mm overgrip and/or less overlapping, but increasing the thickness of the cushion wrap layer? Or changing to a different or thicker overgrip. Maybe a different overgrip can change your blister problem, because they mostly come from friction.

speCulatius likes this.
  3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've sanded a g4 down to g5 with a few passes of electric sander. I prefer g5, so when I use g4, the edges do feel sharper. Seems much better using a replacement grip rather than my usual overgrip, more cushioned. Remains to be seen how it handles the sweat in this heat though.

Edit. I've sanded handles and frames, tried a repair on a crack, definitely would not thi k drilling holes is a good idea. Of you're after more headweight then thicker string, or table tennis tape can easily add up to 2g in a single layer round the hoop.

Picture of replacement on g4, no overlap vs g5 with 3 layers of overgrip (none, then 50% overlap on top)[​IMG]

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Sand yes.
    Drill definitely no!

Disclosure: I usually sand my G5 handles down to G6.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

5. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

What's the girth for G5 or G6 handles.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    G5 is 20mm and 24mm
    G4 is 21mm and 25mm

if memory serves.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm measuring 82mm and 79mm circumference for G5 and and G6 handle with thin Yonex grip over cushion wrap over bare wood.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

8. SirWabbs

SirWabbs Regular Member

How many layers of cushion wrap do you use? Does adding another 1-2 layers help instead of sanding the wood handle. Or Put some electrical tape on the handle (to protect against sweat too), which would help to round the edges a little, together with the cushion wrap and grip, it might be ok?