Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Movement of non-racket arm

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bodminton, May 26, 2012.

1. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Assistant Language Teacher - English
    I help coach at my school badminton club a few times a week and I am concerned about many of the students non-racket arm. Many (of the girls) seem to bring their non-racket arm into their abdominal area/stomach when they hit a smash.

As you know, when you stretch for a lunge, your non-racket arm goes behind you to help you balance etc. What should the non-racket arm be doing when smashing?

Personally when I smash, my non-racket arms elbow goes backwards naturally with my shoulders as I twist my body... this is right I assume? Was watching a Tago vs Gade game, and during smashes they seem to bend their non-racket arm, but in general, the elbow goes backwards as they twist their shoulders...

What is a good way to help remove these bad habits? Maybe make them play with their non-racket hand held to their waist? or practice throwing shuttlecocks, or even the shuttlecock tubes...

2. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

I have seen some of our young player trained with their non-racket hand behind their back, when they are training for forecourt lift.

I guess girls like to do that simply because they can't control their racket swing and was afraid to hit themselves?

3. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    My non-racket arm tends to pull in a bit towards my abs/chest area when I smash, it kind of has to if my elbow goes back. Unless I threw my entire arm behind me and that feels very wrong and feels unbalanced. Like in this video of Fu Haifeng smashing, only my technique is less refined!

[video=youtube;eH6qFJoySf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6qFJoySf8[/video]

I don't recommend getting them to have their non-racket arm by their waist as a training drill, this is a very wrong technique and one that took me months of training to stop doing. It just seems somewhat backwards to me to use a wrong technique to correct a slightly unrefined technique.