MS: Who has the best head to head record of top players

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by freelast, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Lets say you play Lin Dan 3 times and lost 2 times, and i play Lin Dan 100 times and lost 98 times, who ranks higher you or me?

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Bro...if i first beat LD twice in a row, i will stop playing him again to keep my H2H record intact :D:D

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    then i will say you are smart :D

but on the other hand you also give up baddy:D :eek:

against lin dan ;)

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

OK in that case my percentage is lower, but won more times. Whereas you could have play for another 97 games and lost all, which will make your percentage lower and mine higher. Therefore unless we both played the same number of game againts LD, the percentage is not a fair figure.

5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    say, i lost to lin dan 1-3 in 2010

and you lost to him 2-98 in 2000

here, also doesn't look right - the date when play also have to be taken into consideration

so, number of games and when played do make a difference in h2h record:D

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thats correct bro..... beside that they have to play in equal numbers, they also have to play in the same time frame. You know like how football league is arranged. And if at least those criterias are met, then we can talk about the rank and say for eg. LD is the best MS player in 2010.

7. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    You put the words right into my mouth

And you earn yourself a free nasi lemak special

;)

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

wkwkwkw please put extra sambal and those salty fish :p YUMMMM

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

like i said, there is no perfectly perfect system.

being critical is easy. riding on your points, if an olympic winner only defeats lower ranked opponents due to luck in draw, how does it compared with a GP winner who defeats WR1,2,3,4 enroute to his championship?? which one is more meaningfull sports-wise?

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Our BadmintonCentral PAW Games system calculates our BCers' ranking in this same way

Usually most sports associations rank players for their performance over the last 12 months period. As points won in the new 1st month are added, the points won in the old 13th month are removed.

Even our BadmintonCentral PAW Games system calculates our BCers' rankings in this same way (in points format, not the H2H format).

#170 chris-ccc, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Credit to CHJ for defeating LD

Correct. That's why I gave credit to CHJ for defeating LD in earlier posts.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1/3 = 33.33%
    2/100 = 2%,
    The 33.33% is higher, but of course with your other criteria in post #166, then hard to quantify in badminton.

13. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

credit is due for that particular encounter.

yet it is for the same reasons, for a fair comparison of 2 players, the fewer number of encounter, the less reliable the outcome according to principles of statistics. you need a reasonable pool of such...

Let's do a test, Try to answer, out of your gut feeling, if each player play at least 10 times with each other players, who would you think shall have the best winning rate?

e.g. I may say, LD vs LCW = 65% vs 35%; LD vs ... and the like....

where would these gut feeling come from...

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This is just my gut feeling for current tournaments

In your posted test; I would have given LD with slightly higher % for current tournaments, namely;
    LD vs LCW = 67% vs 33%.

This is just my gut feeling (for current tournaments); 2 for LD: 1 for LCW. :):):)

15. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

well, i thought 65:35 was already a bit aggressive... :D

so now, where your gut feeling comes from???

16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    That's a joke! :D:D:D

according to the world ranking,
    LCW is the best MS, while LD's 5th, CJ's 4th. Realilty check: LD is the best!

according to the world ranking,
    Wang YiHang is the best WS, what a joke. Realilty check: Wang Lin, Wang Xin, the best, Wang YH not even close to top 10!

according to the world ranking, Cai Yun/FHF is the 15th in MD, but Realilty check: CY/FHF is the best by far!

according to the world ranking, we cannot find Yu Yang/Wang Xiaoli in the WD list, but Realilty check: YY/WXL is the best

according to the world ranking, Nova/LyN is the 1st in XD, and Hendra/Vita the 2nd, while ZhenBo/MJ 24th and TaoJM/TianQ the 70th, but Realilty check: Those 1st, 2nd ranked have been easily crushed by any Chinese pair, while ZB/MJ, TJM/TQ are the best.

It's a joke to understand players using the world ranking. If you said so because you were new, then you need to learn, if you said so and you followed the ranking for years, then you are NOT honest. :(

17. InvinKoh

InvinKoh Regular Member

I am not sure what's your intention of creating this thread. I smell intention of stirring things up.

However, if you are asking for an opinion, Chen Jin winning in WC does not carry the real weight in it if you look carefully into his path to champion.

Chen Jin - Ville Lang 21-14 21-14 (Should be easy meat for any top player)
    Chen Jin - Ashton Chen Yong Zhao 21-16 21-16 (Easy meat for any top player too)
    Chen Jin - Hsueh Yi Hsuan 22-24 21-5 21-11 (Not a very convincing win even Hsueh Yi Hsuan not considered as one of the top player)
    Chen Jin - Peter Hoeg Gade 19-21 21-8 21-11 (The only real challange in his draw and he took more than 1 hour to win the game)
    Chen Jin - Taufik Hidayat 21-13 21-15 (If you look back to the video Taufik is not even playing on his form. In addition, Taufik is really a past legend that only perform on ad-hoc basis)

Hence, in my humble opinion the current top 3 players goes by the following ranking according to their performance:-

1. Lin Dan (Unchallengeable unless he is off-form)
    2. LCW (Undoubtedly he's one of the most consistent players and unless other top players except Lin Dan on their super form else it is hard for them to beat LCW)
    3. Chen Jin (Able to beat most of the players but H2H records towards LD and LCW is bad. Forever no 2 in China until if Lin Dan retired 1st)

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- I, personally, don't think freelast's intention is to stir things up. It's a simple question he's asking (1st post): Is CJ no.2 or LCW no.2?
    - Yes, he's basing that question on this yr's WC (besides the H2H records). However, we can counter his thinking, like you did above, and/or give any answer to that question (even if it's subjective).
    If the thinking is CJ went through a smoother path (opponents) to win the WC title, then how about LCW who has a better H2H record vs. TH, and whom LCW has beaten the last 5 times prior to this WC & whom most people thought would beat Taufik, yet lost to him..???..

#178 ctjcad, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's not a joke when we measure/reward players who are participating frequently

To me, it's not a joke when we measure/reward players who are participating frequently.

I would say that the list of successful players that was provided in Post #176 (above) could be different if those players were to participate more often. Tiredness and injuries would affect their H2H records.

20. InvinKoh

InvinKoh Regular Member

There are many spaculation that LCW is using his back injury as an excuse to his defeat to Taufik during WC. However, I personally would give the benefit of doubt to LCW that he was really having an back injury during that time. If you analyze the game properly you would see that LCW was not playing like how he usually played during the rubber game. Couple with the fact that he has beaten Taufik the last 5 times.

As for the performance of the players, I would think that consistency definitely one of the important factor. For example, if based on the recent records and if you have to put all of your money on the table for the following bet, how would you bet?

LD vs LCW (Obviously LD, no?)
    LCW vs CJ (Obviously LCW a safer bet, no?)
    CJ vs LD (Obviously LD, no?)
    LCW vs Taufik (Obviously LCW, no?)
    CJ vs Taufik (Probably CJ)

If anyone could answer this in a objective manner and not being affected by biasness, you definately already know who is no 1, no 2 and no 3 currently in world of badminton.