Please help me with my badminton survey (for research purposes)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by leaderofrouge, Jun 15, 2023.

1. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Hi BC Community,

I hope everyone has been having a great day.

I have a favour to ask of the most active online badminton community (that gives a supportive and positive vibe) that I am aware of on the Internet.

I have been doing academic research on badminton for a few years and am hoping to support my effort with a community survey in the hopes of gaining a better understanding of people's general expenses and their sentiments about shuttlecocks.

https://forms.gle/3WKki7zWBsKMPHeK9

The Google Forms survey will take about 12 minutes to complete and comprises 3 parts: 1) General demographics, 2) General expenses regarding your participation in badminton, and 3) Specific questions on your experience/impression of the badminton shuttlecock.

At the moment, only English is available but I will be translating it to Chinese and Japanese in the hopes of reaching more communities.

Responses you provide are completely anonymous so you can rest assured nothing you put in the survey can be traced back to you, although I hope participants would answer honestly. I have tested the survey myself numerous times and should work, but if you experience any issues please let me know.

I cannot offer you any monetary incentives for doing this survey except for lots of thanks (bucket loads of them) and, with some luck, I could produce some tangible results in the near future and hopefully share them with those who are interested :)

Cheers!

Cheung, shaz007 and nizze like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have made this thread a sticky.

Hope you can get a good response rate.

3. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Thanks Cheung for stickying (it's probably not a word, but it is now!) the thread.

Given the 10-min rule with post editing, I will provide all the links to my survey when I add an additional translation.
    One point of clarification with regards to the survey. Since the "Other" multiple choice option that you will see in the survey is automatically generated by Google (i.e. I didn't type it in), I suspect that specific text may appear in the language according to your email (gmail, hotmail or yahoo etc.) account's language setting. So, just a heads up to those who may be filling the form in a language other than what I will be translating them into.

Finally, I would also like to thank all of the fellow members who have showed their support by filling out the survey!

4. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Not a bad survey, hope you get around to publishing your findings :)

One thing I couldn't clarify was the how often shuttles are changed question.

With feathers, I find they last either half a game or up to 2 games (to 21 points). Can vary depending on brand of shuttle or just pure luck.

leaderofrouge likes this.
  5. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Thanks Dave and fingers crossed!

This is obviously very subjective. Like, some people can get away not changing a single one at all, while others may need to change once or twice. At the elite level, depending on the play style of the players, it could half a dozen or more --- we've all seen players requesting changes in quick successions when they wreck a shuttle after a single smash.

6. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

7. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to update us that the last translation of the survey is done.
    I am conscious of my triple posting here, so unless there are any major issues needed to be addressed you probably will not be hearing from me again on this topic.

That said, I will still be around to monitor the thread and my PM. So please get in touch if you experienced any problems with the survey.

Once again, thank you to all those who took the time to support my research.

Cheers!

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Has data collection finished?

9. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

@Cheung Sorry for the inactivity and, no, I am still collecting data.

Unfortunately, due to insufficient responses, I have to extend the data collection period. I tried promoting through friends on Facebook (etc.) over my inactive period as well, but tend to get a lot more prank/dud responses from social media =(

If you have to close the thread due to a lack of activity, I will respect your decision.

Regardless, I am very grateful to those who responded to my request earlier.

10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I filled it out but I couldn't find GBP (Pound) so had to convert to dollars

I'd consider that a lot of us pay for shuttles in a secondary way through clubs, coaching etc. and not directly, and can't really quantify it easily as an expense

leaderofrouge likes this.
  11. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Hi @UkPlayer, appreciate your help.

GBP is listed as Pound Sterling so maybe that threw you off? Correct me if I'm wrong, I was thinking Pound Sterling is the official name of what we usually refers to as [British] pound.

I do agree that this survey may be more difficult for casuals/individuals to fill out because they play irregularly or don't have to pay for shuttles, which the survey options should be able to reflect this adequately. Otherwise, for all structured/institutionalised level of participation (clubs/private coaching/academies etc.), it should be relatively easy because I'd imagine they are (or should be) tracking their expenses.