Please reply all LEFT/RIGHT-handed players

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by NL-player, Dec 16, 2002.

?

i am.....

1. RIGHT handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LEFT handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just like everything else, you'll eventually get used to it. I am more comfortable playing with a righty than a fellow lefty. Not too many left handers in my club either. As for avoiding racquets clashes, it's just a matter of communications and teamwork. Usually I would rather let my partner take it than swing for it if it's right between us. When I am certain that I could get it, I will call for it.

2. Squark

Squark New Member

Learning from lefties

In the only club in my town there is only one left hander. We play a lot so im quite used to it but when i went to my first open tourney i had never played a doubles pair where both players were left handed! As they were approx. fifty years older than us we underestimated them and didn't even notice they were both left handed until we had suffered one of the worst kickings we've ever received.

3. aL_vin

aL_vin Regular Member

Hahaaa, I'm a lefty hereee!

Also, I think, in general, 13% of people are left-handed... did search on Google.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

i know a guy who can do it..
    he's a beginner (recreation) and switch. he seems to be betetr with left..
    it's very freaky to watch..but he's very slow on teh change.

i recommend you don't practice it. waste of time, you'll mess up your grip, it'll be to slow..don't

5. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

80% / 20%

There's roughly a 80/20 split between people being right and left handed anyway, so all things being equal, we should see a similar split for badminton players.

There is a common trend that leftiesare more creative that righties and I would probably be agree that of the lefties I've played against, they generally are more inventive and have a higher degree of trickery than most righties.

6. SandeepD

SandeepD Regular Member

I thought it was more like a 90/10 split.

Are you sure that's not just to do with your shot placement? When you aim the shuttle to a right-handed opponent's backhand, this becomes the left-handed player's forehand. So maybe they seem to be trickier players because they are able to deal with your shots to their 'backhand' better than a right-handed player? Or are they just trickier all the time (i.e. even when you hit it to their true backhand, etc.)?

#126 SandeepD, Nov 8, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  7. gsi4ever

gsi4ever Regular Member

econimist
    I am a right hand player

8. Charles.E

Charles.E Regular Member

Im left handed, wow I'm so chillin'! :cool:

9. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    hey, it's possible.:) i'm left-handed but i do use both hands -not equally well but my right is good enough for clears, drops, and smashes. its very useful for when your in one side and your opponent hits far to the other side - your 'backhand side'. i just switch to my right and he gets a surprise - its my forehand now. also easier when running after shots, its a fact that lunging for a shot is easier with the forehand than backhand.:)

10. anarkia

anarkia Regular Member

Sit infront of the colourful box, that change colo
    I am right and left handed?

I am right and left handed player..tired can change hand.

hehe how?
    can vote 2 times?:)

11. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

i'm right handed, but apparently left handers get better angles as when they slice they are slicing 'against' the feathers rather than 'with' them so the angles are better

12. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    does anyone actually know why there are so many more right handers than left handers, it's every sport not just badminton:confused:

13. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    being a lefty, i knw some sites that have an explaination. hehehe:)
    here's one.

Clare Porac, a professor of psychology at Pennsylvania State University who studies handedness, explains. Researchers who study human hand preference agree that the side of the preferred hand (right versus left) is produced by biological and, most likely, genetic causes. The two most widely published genetic theories of human hand preference argue that evolutionary natural selection produced a majority of individuals with speech and language control in the left hemisphere of the brain. Because the left hemisphere also controls the movements of the right hand--and notably the movements needed to produce written language--millennia of evolutionary development resulted in a population of humans that is biased genetically toward individuals with left hemisphere speech/language and right-hand preference. Approximately 85 percent of people are right-handed. These theories also try to explain the persistent and continuing presence of a left-handed minority (about 15 percent of humans).

The genetic proposal to explain hand preference states that there are two alleles, or two manifestations of a gene at the same genetic location, that are associated with handedness. One of these alleles is a D gene (for dextral, meaning “right”) and the other allele is a C gene (for “chance”). The D gene is more frequent in the population and is more likely to occur as part of the genetic heritage of an individual. It is the D gene that promotes right-hand preference in the majority of humans. The C gene is less likely to occur within the gene pool, but when it is present, the hand preference of the individual with the C gene is determined randomly. Individuals with the C gene will have a 50 percent chance of being right-handed and a 50 percent chance of being left-handed.

These theories of hand preference causation are intriguing because they can account for the fact that the side of hand preference of individuals with the C gene (most left-handers and some right-handers) can be influenced by external cultural and societal pressures, a phenomenon that researchers have documented. These theories can also explain the presence of right-handed children in families with left-handed parents and the presence of left-handed children in families with right-handed parents. If the familial genetic pool contains C genes, then hand preference becomes amenable to chance influences, including the pressures of familial training and other environmental interventions that favor the use of one hand over the other. The proposed genetic locus that determines hand preference contains an allele from each parent, and the various possible genetic combinations are DD individuals who are strongly right-handed, DC individuals who are also mostly right-handed, and CC individuals who are either right-handed or left-handed. These genetic combinations leave us with an overwhelming majority of human right-handers and a small, but persistently occurring, minority of left-handers.

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I'm lefty. I used to pair up with my twins who is righty when playing doubles. At the beginning, we always crash together although we've good communication outside the court... but not inside. We do A LOT of practise to overcome it & no doubt.. she becomes my good partner now! :D

Actually, I had an experience being threaten by my school teacher (when I was 7), that I would not be allow to sit for the exam if I'm writing using my left hand :eek: :confused: Even that... it wouldn't change my mind :p :D :D .. she got no right too! :D

15. FrenziedEye

FrenziedEye Regular Member

Im a righty....but it would be worthwhile to be ambidextrous...:eek:...save all the trouble in doubs esp going for shots down the middle in those awkward lefty-righty situations (when the lefty's on the left and the righty on the right)

#135 FrenziedEye, Jan 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  16. Tecca

Tecca New Member

im left handed but i can use my right hand alright, i use it when playing agianst beginners or just to fool around with friends

17. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i'm not sure if this is true but i've heard people talking about it and i have also witnessed it in other sports i play, especially cricket.

people say that a left-handers right hand is stronger than a right-handers left hand. when i am playing cricket i find that lefties can throw much further with there right arm than i can with my left (i'm right handed). does anyone know if this is true? my guess is that they have built up strength in their non-hand by having to use everyday objects which are designed for right-handers, e.g. scizzors.

also when you watch lefties playing badminton they tend to normally have a good backhand.

18. FrenziedEye

FrenziedEye Regular Member

Hey that's quite true i guess...not many objects in this world are designed for left-handers like you said there lindanfan....so it would be much more convenient for a lefty to use their right hands for day-to-day stuff yeah?

Good point..good point... hmmm...maybe i should begin to worry about left-handers' backhands.....:eek: They could also be partly ambidextrous naturally... even without knowing!

19. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    it's really true. being a lefty, i use my right hand for pitching and my pitch goes farther than most. being left-handed means we control the right side of our brain - as opposed to right handers who control the left side. lefties have marked advantages in many skills but we do have one disadvantages, all lefties on average die early.:D no joke.:) it's also true about the backhand - my backhand is very strong that i sometimes find it easier to do a backhand smash.:)

20. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

a backhand smash as easy as a forehand:eek: now thats something i would like to be able to do! are you being serious that you die earlier? i've never heard that before, how much earlier is it?