question about the fixed height service rule

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ralphz, Jul 3, 2023.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I have heard that the fixed height service rule while applicable in tournaments, isn't applicable in clubs

I'm looking here

https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/statutes/?id=14915

I see "Laws of Badminton" that has about the fixed height service rule

And "Alternative laws of badminton" that has the rule with the rib.

But as I understand it, it should say somewhere that at clubs that "alternative rules" are followed for service,(i.e. the waist / lowest rib rule). And that at tournaments , the 1.15m service rule is followed. But I can't see that / where that is.

In 2016 the "fixed height" service rule was 1.10m and was listed as "experimental". And the rib rule was listed too in the rules page. 2016 https://system.bwfbadminton.com/doc...- Laws of Badminton - June 2016 Revised 2.pdf

Now, from some point between then and now 2023 it became 1.15m , and no longer listed as experimental. And the rib rule has moved to the "alternative laws" page.

I suppose that reclassification has more impact on tournaments than on clubs. But where does it say that the alternative rule applies to clubs?

I know that technically it's probably not practical to implement the fixed height rule without a measuring device and somebody looking through it. But i'd have thought it'd say somewhere that clubs follow the "rib rule".

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

In the Netherlands the national association has not (yet) adopted the new fixed height. This means for all national stuff the old rules still apply. From my understanding it is only the international tournaments that now use the rule?
    Perhaps some other countries have already adopted it.

3. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Clubs can 'say' that. They can use language, on their notice boards, or in membership agreement(s), to clarify what is applicable when playing at that club. Clubs are private organisations, so they are not bound by rules made by anyone else.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

well by that reasoning they could say badminton rules involve playing with a tennis racket , calling all tramlines in, banning a backhand low serve on the basis that it's boring.