RKEP Grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by perfectgravity, Feb 24, 2010.

1. what07

what07 Regular Member

The RKEP Ultimate is probably most similar.

2. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Yes, having used the Karakal PU Super and the entire line of RKEP grips, I would have to agree with what07.

The Ultimate is most similar, and in my opinion, actually outperforms the Karakal Super PU

3. monticore

monticore Regular Member

tried the nano/ultimate/elite this week and i found the ultimate was the best with the elite second . the nano was ok i don't sweat much and found it turned in my hand and was a bit firm /didn't seem as tacky , seems like it would be durable though.
    i am going to try their new one but most likely will settle tih ultimates/elite.

cory

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    after A/B comparing the G09 and G10, i have concluded that the G09 is better. the G10 while feel soft and comfy on the hand, it lacks stiffness.

the G09 is perfect, tacky, stiff, lasts long and very cheap at $1 each in bulk quantities.

is there any difference in feel between colors? i know that that happens with some grips, like the Wilson Xtra Tack, the feel varies a lot with color. i haven't tried the G09 with different colors yet.

164769_10150163669884196_503414195_8350340_4168725_n.jpg

5. Squash Eric

Squash Eric Regular Member

trading company
    It indeed got some difference between colors but not so much different as the other model did. Tell me what you find after you had tried all the colors.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

it'll be good to know which colour is the most tacky for the G09 Elite.

7. tdang07

tdang07 New Member

hey Singnflip4life is it too be a part elite grips group buy?

8. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

ordered a trial for g05, g06, g09
    Ultimate, Elite, and Power Master
    Will give review and comparison with karakal super once I get to try them out
    I find my batch of Karakals are wearing out too quickly (they may be old stock/canada's too dry for the pu)

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I tried applying like that but it kept creasing on the lower edge. How do I avoid that? In the end I had to use a much smaller overlap

10. what07

what07 Regular Member

I always get smaller creases on the lower area near the cap as well. Never knew how to fix it with my wrapping :( So I just lived with it.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Start off with a smaller angle and under less tension. That will reduce the creases near the cap due to the bulge at the end.

12. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I received a batch of the G-09 Elite overgrip and I am comparing it to some of the older models (one is discontinued?). My previous favourite grip was the G-12 High Tape overgrip. I like that one so much I bought about 100 of them. So far, the G-09 Elite seems to be a good alternative. When wrapping, it is slightly less stretchy so contouring takes a bit more effort. I like to wrap the cone up to the first bit of exposed shaft.

Something not yet mentioned is the finishing tape that comes with this. I like to finish a grip by winding finishing tape tight, almost shrinkwrap-like. The other RKEP overgrips' finishing tapes are mediocre like almost any on the market (Yonex, Wilson, Prince, etc). I typically threw them away. Even 3M or Duck brand electrical tape doesn't hold. With those, especially in warmer temperatures, the tape will unravel or "back-off" loosening the finish, sometimes exposing goopy adhesive. To fix this, I buy Nitto tape from MBS to make a nice clean finish. With this recent batch of RKEP Elite grip, I was very surprised at the quality of the finishing tape. I can do my usual tight wrap and pull until it thins to breaking off. It sticks and hasn't backed off for a few days. Usually the average tape will loosen within a day.

If this holds up, I may not need to buy Nitto tape.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think you will be disappointed. the tape do peel back and leaves a sticky residue behind.

there are only 2 things the RKEP G09 grip can improve.

- better finishing tape
    - 5cm longer

14. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Just got my RKEP G05, feels great, very slightly less tacky than the Karakal super Pu but its still plenty. Durability was much better with no sighs of wearing what so ever after 1 session, which from my last batch of karakal super pus there was rubbing at the thumb. Length could be a bit longer, I just made it to the top of my racket handle (after a couple of unwinds). Overall great grip for the price, will definitely get more when my stock runs out.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, a bit longer would be nice.

My workaround for that is to start wrapping the butt end first with a 2-3 inches of used thin grip like g9. This builds up the butt end for better grip in smashes and also allow me to wrap the new grip closer to the cone.

16. Alpinerock

Alpinerock Regular Member

I agree with visor and kwun a longer G-09 would be great as I like to wrap up the cone and at the moment I have to make to overlaps narrower, which makes the grip slightly narrow for me. Might give visor's idea a try.

I now have a few reduntant Kakarakal supergrips - anyone want to make me an offer?

Eric, any chance of a longer G-09?

Looking forward to wrapping the grip of my T-pro with G-09.

17. Squash Eric

Squash Eric Regular Member

trading company
    Thanks. I will try to neotigate with the factory to offer it a little longer.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thumbs up for listening to customers! :)

19. Alpinerock

Alpinerock Regular Member

Eric that would be great plus you would get another order from me!!

20. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i just order 50 ultimates and 40 elites worth getting in bulk even if you don't use them all your friends will end up buying a bunch anyways.

great grips and service from eric so far.

cory