RKEP Grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by perfectgravity, Feb 24, 2010.

1. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

Yup lol but it's split 3 way, so I guess it's not really a lot :p

I recently demo'd a racquet which came with a fresh yonex supergrap on it, and it only lasted 4 sessions (3 hrs each) and it completely lost it's tackiness.

That's when I reaffirmed that the G10 was bomb diggity..

2. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Just tried a G10, removed it halfway through the game cos too slippery for sweaty palm.
    Totally affecting gameplay.

On the other hand, I kinda like G16 because of the threaded thingy. Personal preference though.

Maybe for my next order I would mix some G16 into it, but having to finish 40+ G08 probably gonna took a year lol :D

3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Yes the G10 Wet Tape is terrible for sweaty palms (or hot + humid environments).
    G08 Soft75 is much better for sweaty palms, does not slip and slide as much. The G16 Power Grab is also good but the "ribs" are very hard and can cause blisters for some people.
    But for SERIOUSLY sweaty palms (like me) I find that towel grips are the best. They soak up the most moisture and offer the best amount of friction to prevent loss of grip. The only downside is that these need to be changed more often than standard PU grips as they do tend to get hard and crusty over a short period of intense sweating.

4. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Ah yes, the 'rib' for some reason it sort of enhance my gripping power hence the personal preference.

Never tried a towel before, some say it stink too much for a sweaty palm user. IInstantly stray away from it lol :D

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Yeah it does stink much faster than other PU grips. And that's one of the reasons why it has to be changed frequently.

6. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I'm not sure where to post this, but this is probably the right thread to comment about this.

I've heard nothing but good things about Eric from RKEP. I had a good experience buying from him the first time. This time I wanted to get a racket from him and so I inquired about pricing. After I got the information, I made a payment to him. Less than 24 hours later after the payment was made, he told me that the 3UG5 Victor BS12 is sold out, but he'll get some more in a few days' time. So I was like alright, I'll just wait. He did offered me an 88g 4UG5 Victor BS12 that would technically qualify as a 3U under Yonex's weight system (exactly how he phrased it in the email). I declined as I wanted the 3UG5 since it was only a few more days of waiting.

A couple of hours ago, he sent me an email telling me that he now doesn't know when he'll get the 3UG5 BS12 anymore as Victor is sold out. Eric told me he's going to have to refund my money since I don't want the 88g 4UG5 BS12. I became a bit upset because I'm going to lose money in the process as he wanted payment to be made in US Dollars. I don't live in the US so my PayPal account isn't a US Dollar account. My Visa is also not a US Dollar Visa so inevitably the refund will involve going through the exchange rate. He responded by apologizing again, but said that he's actually going to lose money as well because of PayPal. Is this true? Regardless, as a seller, it is his responsibility to make sure he have stock. How am I suppose to know whether he have stock or not? I don't mind waiting a bit longer for Victor to start shipping out the 3UG5 BS12 again, but he's not even giving me that option. I asked him whether he can check with Victor when they'll have the 3UG5 BS12 again and he ignored that question in the two emails that I sent, but responded to my other questions.

What do guys think? I feel like I've been screwed here. Eric got defensive in the last email that he sent to me. Basically he's saying he's human and not a machine. He's not perfect. Yet by trying to insist that I accept a refund, then that will guarantee that I'll lose money when the payment that I made in USD will be converted back to local currency. I'm still waiting for a few comments about the 4UG5 BS12. This isn't the type of customer service that I expected from him after reading all of the good stuff in this thread. I feel pretty disappointed right now.

#1326 Sgt_Strider, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Whilst I am of the opinion that sellers should have a reasonable idea of their stock levels, I also fully appreciate that sometimes complications do happen.

What is your definition of 3U? Between 85-90g? That is my definition of 3U. So the 4UG5 is merely a label and in actual fact the racket is within the weight range of a typical 3U racket. What is stopping or deterring you from getting the 88g 4UG5?

8. Sgt_Strider

Considering that he's already made a mistake with stock levels, what kind of assurances will I get that the weight of the 88g 4UG5 Bs12 is indeed 88g? What happens if I weight it after it arrives and it's not 88g? Is Eric going to take care of me and pay for shipping to get an exchange?

You're right and the 3U is just a range and I would prefer a racket that would fall at the higher end of that range. Probably 89g or higher would have been suffice for me.

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

That would be between you and Eric. You'll need to communicate with him and ask him if he can assure that the racket is 88g.

Having said that, you can't be certain that a different 3UG5 BS12 would be >89g. Rackets will always have that notable variation in weights.

10. Sgt_Strider

I can't be certain, but I will have confidence that the weight of the racket is indeed in the 3U range.

11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

In my opinion, the best way to proceed is to first, decide if you want the 88g BS12 and if yes, communicate directly with Eric to ensure it is indeed 88g; or get your refund and absorb the changes in FOREX.

12. Squash Eric

Squash Eric Regular Member

trading company
    YES
    VICTOR 4U sometimes is heavy than 3U
    very interested thing for such a big company

when I stated 88g that it is real weight by us when the racket arrived

For most of the buyers that the real frame weight is much more acceptable than just stated
    3U or 4U

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    The weight category often overlaps in weight. It is best to request a weight. I've purchased a few rackets from Eric, one being the very hard to find Meteor MX60, as well as numerous grips.

If the 88g is you are looking for, it doesn't matter if its a 4U or 3U designation. Also over time, once any changes are made to the grip, there will be a swing from the initial "perfect" weight anyways.

Eric does pretty much all his business with us as far as I know through emails, he responds quickly and answers the best he can. I know of no one else that does that. I know it can't be easy to do that, because not every email inquiry ends up as a sale.

#1333 mater, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  14. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Check how your credit card is charged. Paypal charges your credit card in your native currency and does its own conversion to USD. If you had it set-up to just draw funds straight form credit card via paypal, then you should get the full amount back in your native currency. e.g. I send a payment in USD to Eric, Paypal charges my credit card in NZD based on its own USD-NZD conversion. I've purchased thousands of dollars of gear from Eric over the years and have had no issues. Have had multiple refunds done and always received the full amount back.

#1334 kingzzz, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Does anyone else find that g08 stretches very easily and gets thinner when reapplied / after some use? I think I'll have to prestretch it! At least it should end up interchangeable with g10 rather than being thicker. I like the cushiony feel when new though.

16. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    yup...G08 stretches easily.. Way too easily.. If I ever re-wrapped my grips definitely the cushion feeling will be lost...sigh...

17. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Used RKEP for close to half a year I think.

Tried G08, G16 and G10. Eric gave me different grips each time I bought from him, LOL.

I prefer G08. G08 doesn't grip as well as G16 but it doesn't give me blisters. It does have a tendency to become fairly sticky after the sweat is left to dry on its own.

G16 gives me blisters, but the grip is great. It also doesn't get sticky like G08. G10 is slippery, especially once you start sweating. I have to keep wiping the grip when I start sweating. It's a great grip in aircon courts, probably because I don't sweat as much or the air is drier, so it's not slippery.

I haven't encountered the lost cushion feeling in this period. Probably I changed regularly enough to not encounter it.

18. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    My 2cents review of various RKEP overgrips...

Background:
    Dry hands here. Sweat only seems to go to head n upper body.
    ( ^.^)
    For gripping, I do stretch the overgrip so as to make a snug fit n cover up to the cone.

G08 : Soft-75
    . Too dry for my dry hands, hence making it powdery, seriously lacking of grip
    . Cushion feel
    . Most likely suitable for sweaty hands

G09 : Elite
    . Feels rubbery, tacky n hard
    . For moderate to sweaty hands
    . A tad thinner than G10
    . If G10 doesn't exist, this would b my goto

G10 : Wet Tape*
    . My preferred overgrip at present
    . Suits dry hands
    . Soft cushioned grip, comfy
    . Tacky feeling
    . Sufficient thickness for my g5 gripping
    . Perhaps the heaviest overgrip among these four

G11 : Wet Tape perforated
    . Thin n insufficient cushioning
    . Hence, little grip
    . The material doesn't stretch well
    . Holes r unsightly when stretched

Two things to note:
    . For all overgrips, find that they r a tad too short. If only they r a few cm longer, they would've been swell !!
    (Hope Eric is reading this n doing something bout it).
    ( ^.^)
    . Durability: won't know how long they will last, don't really bother me coz don't have sweaty palms. At most, will change when the cushioning gone flat...

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Ultimate grip feels like elite in terms of slippery for sweaty hands. Is Eric planning a grip with ultimate thickness but soft75 feel/sweat absorption?

20. Squash Eric

Squash Eric Regular Member

trading company