Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Shuttle speed at high altitude

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by rags2riches, May 10, 2009.

1. rags2riches

rags2riches Regular Member

Electronics Engineer
    I play at a place that is at an altitude of 3000 feet above sea level. I have never played at any place at a lower altitude. I have heard that the reduced air density does make a significant difference in the distance a shot (e.g. overhand clear) travels. Given my background in science, I tried to quantify the effects of altitude as well as temperature and humidity in a "scientific" analysis. I had posted this earlier in the equipments forum:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68153
    PDF file of analysis report
    [Ignore the technical part, and take a look at the graphs].

My analysis shows that the same shuttlecock could travel 10% longer in my place than at sea level - nearly 4 feet for an overhand clear shot (Figure 7). This seems very large to me.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has personally experience with the differences when playing at high altitude.
    If this makes sense, would it be a good idea to come up with a systematic way to choose shuttlecocks with the right speed given the environment parameters?

Regards