Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Retailers in Lucky Plaza claim their basements experience flooding once and sometimes twice a year. Is this considered normal and acceptable for a shopping plaza in the heart of Singapore? Can these regular basement floodings be stopped?

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    To be fair, i must admit that the Sporeans authority did act fast in cleaning the mess after the flood. Except for the shop tenants which they have to renovate and fix the damages. If KL.. i think will take some time to clean the mess..

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Many environmental and engineering problems require a lot of research and expertise to solve .

The same applies to legal or management and business solutions, it takes more than reading newspapers and

internet articles to solve.if not every monkey could claim to be an expert and there will no longer be Engineers,

Lawyers,Management Gurus, etc etc everyone can be one.

The internet can be a very dangerous place to visit, it can be filled with many sources of misinformation

by irresponsible people who make statements without considering its impact on the wide spectrum of readers

exposed to the misinformation.

That is the reason why the internet is not recognised as a reliable or credible source of information by academic

researchers. That is why we see Loh quoting all the sources of his info to allow us to know whether his sources are

reliable.

#1984 Bbn, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Rational thinkers who are sincere in addressing and solving a problem usually do some of the things below :

1.Establish facts and figures (from reliable sources) 2. study the problem 3. Weigh the alternatives and solutions
    4. Arrive at a decision and conclusion.

Politicians particularly poorly educated ones will skip all these and jump to conclusions based on hearsay and what they read. of course there are issues where there will be no facts and figures to support, but many issues such as engineering issues have facts and figures to be weighed first.

When replying to discussions it is important to know the agenda of the poster, if say, they are biased and eg.anti-lin Dan , no matter what you say, no matter what logic is used, they have only 1 motive, to undermine and discredit Lin Dan.
    They want you to entertain them by spending your time explain issues to them,then go back to square one to affirm that Lin Dan is no good. These people claim to be able to solve problems but I think many people can do the same, especially the Kempetai and Gestapo with their interrogation tactics.I can solve many problems by being given the mandate to carry out a lot of investigations and arrive at solutions based on facts and recommendations given to me, then put my rubber stamp on it and then claim reward and credit on the service.Nowadays things don't work that way anymore you can save a lot of money by using qualified people with substance such as the Big Four.
    After some time, and reading the trends, it is time to press the ignore button.There is no necessity to answer
    many questions,when you know the background or intentions of the poster, who is likely yo use you for his personal entertainment instead of trying to help you to be a better person.Instead you should spend more time asking that poster to support his assertions and claims rather than answer him.In this respect Loh is doing all the right things.

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just imagine bumping into an insane or drunken person and he accuses you of your wife's infidelity

or the illegality of your business or the stupidity of your children,all your own private domestic affairs, would you want to bother to entertain him?

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Pls stop beating around the bush and just answer my question as to why those basements in the heart of Singapore's prime real estate experience floodings once or twice every year? Giving an engineering excuse is just like the BP in the Gulf of Mexico smoke screen.
    Come on, as I have said earlier we are talking about Singapore and not some backward third world country.
    Instead of taking charge and telling the PUB that what has been going on is not enough and your head is on the block should there be one more flooding of those basements, we have many excuses and clouds of fog.
    Instead we have something like a Don Quixote and Sancho Panza fighting imaginary windmills.
    Again, why are these semi-annual or annual basement floodings allowed to go on? Singapore engineers cannot solve this? Of course not. So something like the case of Mas Selamat, so easily overlooked yet so damaging, is allowed to fester here in basement floodings?

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

See what i mean, they never learn,they don't listen,they have only one motive.Chinese say "dui niu dan ching".

This specimen has behaved exactly as predicted in our laboratory.

Some people in Singapore actually complain that the weather is too hot and Chenghu is doing nothing about it.

Why can't Chenghu do something about the weather? Other people are doing something like promoting green technology

and sustainabilty.

By the way people what's your favorite poison, tequila, cognac or cheap wine or beer?

#1988 Bbn, Jun 19, 2010
  9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Our lab specimen seems to be demonstrating the behaviour of

ex-Kempetai supporters or Chin Peng guerilllas who were banished from Singapore and Malaysia .

they probably escaped to evade imprisonment or execution and are now firing salvos from afar.

But take heart, some 50 % of people in Msia are still in this genre, living in denial , obstinate people with poor learning abilities, you are not alone.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I have heard that the people of Hong Kong are so clever they have invented an anti-typhoon screen

that is capable of deflecting all storms to Japan. All one needs to do is to plant bamboo stakes along the coast

and they will bend with the typhoon, and the resultant spring effect will blow the storm back to the sea.

a very cheap and ingenius solution, who needs Engineers?

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

to Loh ;

Seriously there is a lot of mumbo jumbo on the internet that sea levels around Singapore are rising

and the island is slowly sinking.As usual just unsubstantiated internet thrash.

If true,in Engineering terms the effects may only be felt in decades maybe, but

the signs are there when floods become too common.it is behaving more like Kuching.

This problem has been happening in Sibu and there are plans to relocate Sibu. Orchard road problems

may be a sign of more things, and a longterm study and monitoring of the situation may be on the cards.

It could be a result of environmental and development problems.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

At least a Singapore minister has now taken charge but only after a few days of silence, www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_543073.html.
    Now, it may be of special interest to our readers about what the local Singaporeans think about this incident, www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_542441.html. Don't you think this gives a more balanced picture of what happened and what the local people think? It is the real maccoy from Singapore's own news media instead of the very different version, if you can call it an informed opinion and not an emotional outburst, we are being selectively fed.

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It is already common knowledge that a rise in global temperatures is causing the ice caps to melt in the poles

and himalayas, result being sea levels are rising.

The outflow of water to the sea will decrease and unable to cope with freak downpours.

it may be true/untrue that the cause is as simple as a blocked culvert but in view of changes in climate that past designs

have to be upgraded in the long term.

it is amazing that a blockage can only be detected after several years, but I think it is wise public relations on the part of

any government.Rising levels don't only affect one place, everyone is affected, there is no point causing panic among the

donkeys when they don't want to learn about long term solutions but start pressing the panic button.

One is reminded of uneducated Sakais who catch a cold and demand instant treatment, when the only remedy is

building up natural resistance and recovery over a period of days.I think the Singapore government as a whole knows

what it is doing and I think ,Loh, that we should say no more and trust them.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Singapore has flood problem and the government admits it doesn't know all the answers but will leave no stone unturned to get to the root of the problem. This is transparency and honesty and down to earth. So let us not go up sailing in the clouds, oftentimes on the "fringe", and generating more fog.
    It is interesting to see Loh now has a volunteer Sanch Panza and it will be interesting to hear from him if he welcomes your every word of support.
    I await some independence of thoughts.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Wow, i thought Msia only has Yo Yos, first they condemn some government, them they

turn around 360 degrees and praise them. Never mind it is typically Malaysian.

I base all my comments on objective comments and technical know-how , not what I read from the internet

and newspapers or tabloids. Loh has already made his comments on what he thinks of people, so have I.

I am addressing Loh or Ants not some noisy ignorant uneducated bigot banished from his country trying to fire salvos

using blanks with no ammunition.I might as well "dui niu dan ching".
    I will continue to rectify misinformation, bigoted views, expose hidden agendas etc because that is why I rejoined the forum.if you dont like my objective inputs and technical info which is intended to educate just"ignore".

#1995 Bbn, Jun 19, 2010
  16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

And in case people forget, this is a DISCUSSION forum, not a place to restrict people from giving their views

or giving further info.This is not a political blog to give one-sided views in order to "nail" people, that would be uncivilised and is more like the childish bickering on whether LD is better than LCW.

To other forum members, if you cannot keep an open mind and learn and listen to others, please press the ignore button,

I am not interested in you.

#1996 Bbn, Jun 19, 2010
  17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Note taken Bnb.. i like your objective. No worries.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Does this qualify as "Independent Thinking ?"

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Careful Ants, some nut may call you Pancho Sanchez . In case some of you are unaware Don Quixote and Pancho Sanchez

are characters from the novel"Man of La Manca". It is the story of a nut who thought he was a medieval knight and set out

on a journey with Pancho and donkey on adventures to revive past glories and days of chilvary and old values.

Anyway all my talk about global warming is part of the big picture of future problems caused by present symptoms in

isolated floods.It s like seeing the doctor and complaining about a headache, he has to study you to see the big picture

and see if there are related ailments and defects, he would be myopic by giving you aspirins and taking your money.It is

what holistic education is all about nowadays, it is very difficult for Don Quixotes to understand.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Good lord, so much written about so little. It must be full moon that produces such a flowering of all ado about nothing.