Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yuegu wins Japan Open (table Tennis)

The Straits Times
    Jul 5, 2010

By Frankie Chee

SINGAPORE paddler Wang Yuegu ended her three-year singles title drought on the international circuit on Sunday.

She beat China's Zhu Yuling 11-7, 17-15, 11-6, 11-1 to win the women's singles crown at the US$172,000 (S$241,000) Japan Open.

The tournament is the joint- fifth-most prestigious stop on the 16-leg International Table Tennis Federation Pro Tour, which is the sport's professional circuit.

The 30-year-old Wang's last victory on the Tour came in November 2006, when she triumphed in Germany. She also won the Japan Open that year.

More importantly, Sunday's result will help the world No.9 gain precious ranking points ahead of November's Asian Games. Having a higher ranking ensures a relatively easier draw in the Guangzhou Games, as it would mean she has a better chance of avoiding China's top players in the earlier rounds.

The Japan Open, which concluded on Sunday, missed such big names as world No.1 Liu Shiwen and world No.4 Ding Ning because they had featured in the China versus World Team Challenge which ended only one day before the Japanese competition.

Wang Yuegu (above) beat China's Zhu Yuling 11-7, 17-15, 11-6, 11-1 to win the women's singles crown at the US$172,000 (S$241,000) Japan Open. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

Attached Files:

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore to send record number of athletes to Commonwealth, Asian Games

TODAY
    05:55 AM Jul 03, 2010

Sprint relay quartet back in the running

by Shamir Osman

SINGAPORE - Walking out of the meeting room at the Singapore Sports Council headquarters on Friday, Annabel Pennefather wore a broad grin to match the clenched fist she was holding up.

The Singapore Hockey Federation president was delighted that the Republic's hockey men were given the nod to compete in November's Asian Games, following their appeal to the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC).

Pennefather was not alone in her joy on a night of surprises for Singapore sport - the men's football team also received approval to compete at the Asiad, as did the men's bowling team and the men's 4x100m relay team.

And 22-year-old United Kingdom-based weightlifter Helena Wong (53kg class) will also make history when she flies the Republic's flag at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games, becoming the first woman weightlifter to represent the country at these Games.

"I didn't really believe it when I heard that I was going to the Commonwealth Games, I'm both relieved and happy," Wong told MediaCorp.

The relay quartet of Amirudin Jamal, Gary Yeo, Elfi Mustapa and Lee Cheng Wei, who became the first Singapore team to go under 40-sec with their time of 39.82sec at last December's SEA Games in Laos, qualifying for both the Asian and Commonwealth Games in the process, were broken up subsequently, forcing the new team to re-qualify.

But the new management committee, led by Tang Weng Fei, at the Singapore Athletic Association, had the foursome reinstated, thus automatically qualifying for both the Games.

In perhaps the biggest surprise of the night, 34-year-old UK Shyam, the national men's 100m record-holder (10.37sec), has been added to the squad of seven sprinters - the others being Calvin Kang and Poh Seng Song. The lot will have to race off at a later date to select the six to travel.

"I'm happy the team's effort has been recognised, and it's good that it's clear that the fastest six runners will compete. Now that it's settled, we can concentrate on training harder," said Yeo.

Shyam though, was surprised at his inclusion. "I love the sport and I still compete for fun, but I don't know if I'm good enough - you need to train seriously to be able to hit fast times.

"I clocked 10.90sec recently and although that was in the rain, I don't think it will be good enough for the big games," he said.

The last time Shyam was in serious training with a view to representing the country was five years ago.

Meanwhile, preparations have already begun for the men's football team: The Asian Games squad are in Myanmar for two friendly matches.

Said team manager Eugene Loo: "The Asian Games will provide our players with a wonderful opportunity to compete against some of the top teams in Asia in a competitive environment."

The Singapore contingents

Commonwealth Games (New Delhi, Oct 3-14): 71 athletes, up from the 63 in Melbourne in 2006

Asian Games (Guangzhou, Nov 12-27): 226 athletes, up from the 132 at the 2006 Doha Games

#2102 Loh, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    George Yeo calls for patience in Ionescu case

TODAY
    05:55 AM Jul 05, 2010

by Ong Dai Lin

SINGAPORE - Foreign Minister George Yeo has asked Singaporeans to be patient, reiterating the need for due process in resolving the two hit-and-run accidents involving former Romanian diplomat Silviu Ionescu.

Romanian prosecutors said last week that Ionescu will face trial for charges of homicide, causing physical injuries and making false statements.

Mr Yeo said this latest development is in accordance with Romanian law and the Eastern European country is keeping the Singapore authorities informed on the progress of the case.

He said the Republic "will extend all our assistance which is within our law and which is required by their law".

"So, observing due process is absolutely important, both in Singapore and in Romania. It means going through what is required step by step and, sometimes, holding back our desire to make comments or to do things which we may regret later," he said.

Mr Yeo was speaking to reporters at a People's Association event at Bedok Reservoir.

The date of Ionescu's trial has not been set and he will remain in custody until then.

Ionescu, 50, is alleged to have hit three pedestrians in two hit-and-run accidents in December while driving a car belonging to the Romanian Embassy in Singapore.

One of the victims, a Malaysian, died, while two others suffered injuries.

Ionescu has publicly denied he was the driver, claiming the car was stolen.

While Romanian prosecutors have stated that the claim "does not conform to reality", he will fight the charges against him, his lawyer Maria Vasi was quoted by the media as saying.

She has also been quoted as saying her client is keen to compensate the victims - only because he was supposed to oversee the use of the embassy car.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I prefer it your way, Loh, post the article and allow people to read or ignore it. the last thing is people reading articles,
    twisting or misquoting facts and posting it. Most educated people are able to judge what they see without having someone to spoonfeed them with a summary.Its not as if we are teaching schoolchildren.

Another way is to summarise but quote or make reference to the source and allow people to verify the source if they have doubts. Posting a link is not much use, most people look at a thread and dont bother to check out the link.Most people are busy, they scan thru an article and go on to the next, few people have time to check links unless their lives depend on it.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Wang Yi Gu is actually a proponent of the playing style of legend Deng Ya Ping , a lost art nowadays.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc

Well, each one has his own opinion. But I think Bbn's opinion is "coloured" by his support for Loh which is mainly driven by going against "my way"!
    Loh, how lucky for you to have such a faithful friend.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Empty vessels make most noise, I learned that in Elementary school.

As Loh said, if you dont like his style ,dont be kepo or busybody just ignore it, or get a life.

#2107 Bbn, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks.

Yes. Singapore does feel more "interesting" now:) It's been more than 20 years since my last visit. Even Sentosa that time was rather staid. Well this time it's for different reasons - friends, family and children - rather than for ones ownself.

Where is the good place to get Laksa and Cendol near the Clarke Quay? I heard good hawker stalls have been moved around by the government so it's hard to find a few good stalls in one centre nowadays.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I shall be reading more of this thread - about foods

Ah... We are now talking about foods.

I shall be reading more of this thread - about foods. :):):)

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A couple choices:
    - Lau Pa Sat (Raffles square) if one is looking for a pretty complete stalls in one centre; of course it's nowhere near Clarke Quay...note, the area is under heavy renovation/construction (at least as of May)..they have a dessert stall in the middle of the complex...
    - Near Clarke Quay, if you guys want to travel, there's a small food court in Bras Basah shopping complex, off to the side. I recall they have a stall selling desserts and have pretty good selection..don't recall if they have a stall selling Laksa or not..

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Most of the hawker stalls are relocated to the various food courts and coffee shops around the island and in the modern air-conditioned shopping centres in many housing estates. But some are left to congregate at places like Lau Pa Sat (as what Chris has recommended) and towards the end of the Orchard Road shopping belt. The two food items that you mentioned are usually available in most places. You may wish to google for some favourite places to get specific dishes, etc. If you walk further up along the Singapore River from Clarke Quay to Robertson Quay, there are more places to eat.

Maybe our food experts from BC Singapore can offer more options?

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    PAUM-NUSS 25TH SILVER JUBILEE GAMES, 2nd - 3rd JULY 2010 MELAKA

Bonds of Silver & Gold

25 years ago, the late Mrs Winnie Cheah of NUSS (my club, National University of Singapore Society) and Mr Lim Poh Ho, Hon. Secretary of GSUM (Gild Siswazah University Malaya) mooted the idea of the PAUM-NUSS Games to encourage further rapport in view of the close historical ties, although Singapore was already separated from Malaysia. Many perhaps would know that the University of Singapore had its beginnings as the Singapore campus of the then University of Malaya. Past Malaysian PM Mahathir studied medicine at the Singapore campus.

Thus in 1984, the inaugural GSUM-NUSS Games was held in Kuala Lumpur jointly organized by Mr Lim (GSUM) and Mr Chandra Mohan (NUSS). Subsequently, the games were held annually on a reciprocal basis, alternating between Singapore and Malaysia (KL).

When PAUM (Persatuan Alumni Universiti Malaya) was incorporated in 1996, the Games were co-hosted by GSUM and PAUM but in 2002, both bodies agreed to change the name to PAUM-NUSS Games.

This year marks the Silver Jubilee celebration of the Games in Melaka, a tradition now to hold the games at a neutral venue every 5 years - the first (the 20th Games) being held in 2005 at Genting Highlands Golf& Country Resort. The theme, "Bonds of Silver & Gold" eptomises the strength of our ties.

For the record, PAUM won 14 times (including this 25th Games), NUSS 9 times with 2 Games drawn.

This year our NUSS contingent was housed in the Renaissance Hotel and our PAUM counterparts stayed at Hotel Seri Malaysia. We did not miss the World Cup (soccer) as there were big screens in both hotels.

NUSS lost by a narrow margin of 3-4, winning in badminton (surprise!), bowling and tennis and losing out in golf, soccer, squash and table-tennis.

Naturally I was with our badminton team and our players played magnificently, beating PAUM 5-2. We won 3 MD, 1 XD and 1 VD (Veteran's Doubles, men 45 & above) and lost 1 WD and 1 MD.

On day 2, Saturday evening, we had a gala dinner at Renaissance hotel graced by Melaka's Chief Minister. Highlight of the evening was the tradition "Boat Race" between the two 'rivals'. This beer drinking relay contest started with 3 male representatives with a lady each as the last anchor. It was a friendly dead heat although NUSS' last lady had an early start. PAUM's anchor was their quick drinking badminton player!;)

Before the official dinner was finally over, some World Cup fans quietly excused themselves to rush downstairs to the lobby bar to watch the game on the big screen.
    Whatever free time we had, we walked most of the time to Melaka's tourists attractions, principally at Jonkers and had our chicken rice, cendol, pineapple tarts, etc there. :D

Attached Files:

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Loh,

I heard that Singapore is getting more and more Water Independent via technology and tghe 2062? deadline should be kacang putih.

Congrats to your country.

However, my imaginative mind can't help but think the high tech water treatment plant would be a prime target for terrorist attacks (Country Crippling Events, something like diehard 4 the movie) :D

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Jug8man

There are many prime targets for terrorists if they want to attack and many more other prominent countries than S'pore who may be prime victims. It is very difficult to stop them as in the case of 9/11. So countries have to cooperate to minimise these threats and meanwhile do whatever is possible to secure their own assets and their people's lives.

Singapore is exploring, and will continue to explore, ways and means to find solutions to the varied problems that it faces and water is but one of them, although it is one of the more important items on the agenda. The experiences of other countries and their willingness to share them is of vital importance to S'pore.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Food is one thing and I am sure there are plenty of places to find it buuut...the question to answer is where is the "really good" food to be found? :)

i.e. quality for the discerning palate.;);)

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Melaka Pictures

Although we had a short visit of two days in Melaka for the PAUM-NUSS Games, we managed to soak in the sights of some interesting places in this Heritage City that seem to revolve around the Melaka River. The older parts are reminiscent of Singapore in the 50s and 60s, especially in Chinatown and Little India.

Attached Files:

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S'pore, China in joint push

The Straits Times
    Jul 8, 2010

By Grace Ng, China Correspondent

BEIJING - IT'S show-time for Singapore and China, which have inked nine deals to jointly showcase their cultural and media content - a move that will boost the city-state's push as a media hub and help grow China's fast-growing global media empire.

Besides celebrating young Singaporean and Chinese pianists as well as old popular drama serial theme songs through two concerts this year, the two countries will jointly create documentaries and tele-movies for audiences at home - and beyond.

This string of bilateral deals, signed here on Thursday, is part of Singapore's broader drive to help China to package and present entertaining content to the region and the world, said Media Development Authority (MDA) chairman Tan Chin Nam. He is in Beijing leading a four-day business mission of 14 Singapore media companies to help them penetrate the Chinese market.

MDA first came to Beijing in 2007 to sign an overarching framework for media cooperation with the State Admininistration of Radio, Film and TV. Thursday's signing of nine agreements marks 'a new wave of China-Singapore media collaboration that is broader and deeper in scope', said Dr Tan.

Audiences from both countries can look forward to a televised concert held in Beijing that will feature popular singers crooning the theme songs of best-loved television drama serials produced by both countries. It will be held in September - the same month that Singapore celebrates 20 years of diplomatic relations with China.

The performance will be created by the same Chinese producer who was the brainchild behind the Shanghai World Expo's spectacular opening ceremony in May. While the specific drama serials and theme songs for the concert have not been picked yet, some hot favourites include Dream of the Red Chamber and Singapore's Little Nyonya. In November, there will also be a 15-day piano recital festival in Beijing that will have a segment featuring specially selected young Singaporean talent.

Media Development Authority (MDA) chairman Tan Chin Nam (above) is in Beijing leading a four-day business mission of 14 Singapore media companies to help them penetrate the Chinese market. --PHOTO: MDA

Attached Files:

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fullerton heritage gallery launched to promote area's rich history

Channel NewsAsia
    08 July 2010 1310 hrs

SINGAPORE: There're plans to further improve and promote The Fullerton Heritage Precinct given its rich social and historical significance.

Heritage trails and markers will be introduced to allow the public to better understand and appreciate the history and heritage of the area.

The precinct is marked by The Fullerton Hotel Singapore, The Fullerton Waterboat House, One Fullerton, Clifford Pier, the recently-reopened Customs House, and the new The Fullerton Bay Hotel which opens Thursday.

The precinct's history is being showcased through The Fullerton Heritage Gallery launched Thursday.

Acting Minister for Information, Communication and the Arts, Lui Tuck Yew, who was at the event, said the Gallery will help bring to life the rich history and heritage of the precinct.

He says preserving and revitalising the precinct is all the more important given the rich social and historical significance of the Fullerton Building.

It was declared open in 1928, and became home to the General Post Office, along with other colonial governmental offices.

Over the years, it housed many important arms of the government, such as the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Trade and Industry.

The precinct, which is supported by the National Heritage Board's Heritage Industry Incentive Programme, saw contributions from individuals and organisations to preserve various aspects of Singapore's heritage.

Mr Lui praised the efforts of the Fullerton Heritage team, some of whom received training on the history of the Fullerton precinct to help them better understand the background of the area.

The precinct launch also saw the return of the Foundation Stone, which was relocated to the National Archives of Singapore in 2000 due to development works in the area, to its original position in 1970 outside the Fullerton Building.

Fullerton Hotel

The Straits Times

Jul 8, 2010

Post letters at The Fullerton

By Huang Huifen

YOU can post a letter at The Fullerton once again - 14 years after it ceased operations as the republic's General Post Office.

No, the luxurious hotel has not reverted to its original purpose, but a colonial-style red pillar post box located outside the newly-launched Fullerton Heritage Gallery will function as a regular mailbox.

The 500kg mailbox, flown specially from Britain, is the centre piece of the permanent exhibition at the gallery showcasing photographs and artifacts which traces the history of the Fullerton building from a fort to post office and its present-day use as a hotel.

Launched on Thursday by guest of honour Mr Lui Tuck Yew, Acting Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, the 800-sq m gallery located at the lobby of the hotel will also include the Foundation Stone which was erected outside the building in 1970 by Singapore's first president Yusof Ishak as a tribute to the early settlers. The stone was shifted to the National Archives in 2000 and has now returned to its original premises.

Philatelic items such as a 1906 picture-less postcard, a letter from Chicago which made its stop in Singapore enroute to Europe in 1935, and a weighing scale are also on display to celebrate the building's postal heritage.

The gallery is partially funded by the National Heritage Board's Heritage Industry Incentive Programme, which supports private players in developing heritage attractions.

View it:

What: The Fullerton Heritage Gallery
    Where: The Fullerton Hotel Singapore
    1 Fullerton Square
    Singapore 049178
    Opening hours: 10am to 10pm
    Information: 6557 2590
    Admission is free.

Attached Files:

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Temasek's assets hit $186b

The Straits Times
    Jul 9, 2010

By Gabriel Chen

TEMASEK Holdings' net portfolio climbed 43 per cent to a new record high of $186 billion in the 12 months to March this year, reflecting its dramatic recovery from the impact of the global financial crisis.

The portfolio beat the previous high of $185 billion set in 2008 and far exceeds the $130 billion last March, according to its annual report, which was released on Thursday.

Temasek's executive director Simon Israel told a media briefing on Thursday that the record portfolio valuation was a 'number obviously that we are pleased with'.

'Through the roller coaster of a massive correction, from the market peak of 2007, to a near meltdown in 2008 and early 2009, and a mixed recovery in the second half of 2009, we kept our cool, and focused on what we needed to do as a long-term investor,' Mr Israel said.

'We maintained a liquid posture, kept our powder dry, made sure the home base was secure, and invested and divested steadily, taking advantage of opportunities which came along. Some investments had not turned out as expected, while most other investments did well. Where we thought the risks were not acceptable, or when we had other better opportunities, we were ready to do what we thought was best for the long term, despite any short-term pain.'

Ms Ho Ching, Temasek's chief executive, was not at the briefing as she is travelling with her husband Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in the United States.

Net profit fell 26 per cent to $4.6 billion from $6.2 billion a year earlier due to lower profit contributions from its portfolio companies which were impacted by the financial crisis.

Temasek Chairman S. Dhanabalan said in the report that the company's portfolio has 'delivered consistently through market cycles,' giving a shareholder return of 17 per cent compounded annually since the fund began.

Looking ahead, the report said the European sovereign debt crisis points to the 'underlying structural imbalances and the bumpy re-adjustments ahead. Downside risks include inflation in the medium term, as well as political, policy and regulatory risks in the near term, as well as potential cracks in the global credit system.

Said Mr Dhanabalan in the report: 'Protectionism may rear its head as developed markets struggle to cope with high unemployment, weak fiscal positions and mounting debt burdens. On the other hand, developing markets risk asset bubbles, and loose lending may haunt their banking system down the road.'

Ms Ho expects global growth to slow in the medium term with Asia maintaining its secular long-term growth. 'Our focus on Asia will continue,' she said.

Going forward, Temasek will continue to focus on Asia, where it has been stepping up its exposure, said the annual report. -- ST PHOTO: TAN SUAN ANN

Attached Files:

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Global 'master developer'

The Straits Times
    Jul 9, 2010

By Jessica Cheam

TEMASEK Holdings unit Singbridge International Singapore on Thursday unveiled its vision to be a global 'master developer' of cities that are not only sustainable but also economically viable.

This will create a new growth platform for Singapore firms who can export their urban solutions to other cities around the world, even while providing a return of investment to the Republic's state investment company.

Speaking at Singbridge's first press briefing at Raffles City, chairman Lim Chee Onn said the strategic direction of the new unit was borne out of the observation of two major global trends: Urbanisation and the 'tremendous interest in the environment'.

Singapore can draw on its development experience of the past four decades and 'aggregate the experience... to help strengthen capabities and capacity in order to generate business opportunities', said Mr Lim, who was a former Cabinet minister and the former Keppel chairman.

The firm has taken on the mission of investing and developing sustainable and economic cities internationally, although its initial focus will be on China. The firm recently signed an agreement with the Guangzhou Municipality to jointly develop the123 sq km Sino-Singapore Guangzhou Knowledge City in Guangzhou, China, which will require an estimated RMB2 billion (S$411 million) investment for its 50 per cent stake.

In May, Singbridge agreed to a feasibility study with the Jilin Municipal Government to assess the commercial feasibility of jointly developing a 1,450 sq km modern agricultural and food zone in Jilin City in China. It has also acquired a 10 per cent stake in the Singapore consortium which holds a 50 per cent stake in the Tianjin Eco-city project.

Chairman Lim Chee Onn (left) said the strategic direction of the new unit was borne out of the observation of two major global trends: Urbanisation and the 'tremendous interest in the environment'. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

Attached Files: