Stuck with bad partner :(

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by soggybread, Sep 18, 2006.

1. soggybread

soggybread Regular Member

Well, I'm stuck with a novice badminton player who returns short serves, clears at a height where opponents can easily smash, and hits birdies that are going out... there's no one else that I can find to be my partner because all the pairs are made... we're likely to end up in the back of the roster...

I would say that I'm an intermedeate player, and I need someone of that same level to play...

It's just so frustrating having a parter that doesn't sync with you.

What should I do?:confused:

2. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

find another partner. that easy. but if you can't find a new partner, then start teaching him/her how to play better.

3. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    You know I seem to habe the most fun playing mixed doubles with a new player against two men or a very strong man and woman. For some reason I always make myself work harder than even in singles sometimes. Sometimes I manage to win, and I normally get 15-16 points at the least. This is a weekly competition mind you, not a tourney.
    I have had similar experiences in a tourney and all you can do is work with your partner to produce the best result. DO NOT give up. People will respect you for that.

4. kellybrooke

kellybrooke New Member

student
    are you on a team? funny that a beginner should be on the roster to begin with.

same advice, work hard at improving your partner to a level where he at least isn't a total handicap. who knows, you might find you're a great coach! :p

5. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    I concur with kellybrooke. Try to see if you can help him/her with some consistency drills. A little encouragement might go a long way.

6. franxon

franxon Regular Member

I'd say you have a good talk with ur partner first, since you two are partners. to me attitude is everything.

if he or she, though a beginner, likes the sports and is willing to put in his/her effort to improve, then I think i'd be more than happy to train with him/her if i were you. he/she improves faster than you do apparently, but that doesn't mean you will improve nothing while train with your partner. it's good to perfect your skills.

there are in fact a lot of things you two need to work out together even your partner is as skillful as you.

if, he or she isn't keen to invest his/her time in badminton, then forget it, just change your partner asap.

7. jko9830

jko9830 Regular Member

Student
    ditch ur noobie partner and play singles or play 2 against 1....
    JUST JOKING =D

8. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    As soon as I read the topic header, I thought...I hope he isnt reading this LOL

Maybe you could try and coach him how to return a serve, make a attacking clear or half court push?

Try and help him/her to play better by giving them positive contrsuctive feedback before during and after a game.