Team Issue

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jan_BE, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Here's the situation:

I'm the captian of our team in the men's competition. At the start of the season we had to give 4 base-players, just for the record (we can play with anyone we want, since we only have one team in the competition).

So the competition starts in January, wich was exam-time for some of us. Personally, I think that's a valid reason not to play. So I would go and look for replacements. I find them, they've played 4 matches with the team so far.

So this month, no more exams, no more excuses. 3 of the 4 base-player have played all the matches so far (that includes me). The last one played his first time today. I put him up for the last doubles and the last single. By doing this, I change the way we normally play, a way that works very well.

So he (and off course his partner) lose the doubles, basiclly all his fault. Same for the single, he just gets trashed by his oppenent. I was very disappointed, and so was the rest of the team. Especially the so called 'replacements' (not that they really are that, they play every match with us, great guys). They felt that I shouldn't have put him up for the single.
    They said I should have put one of them up for it, since they have played more with the team, they deserved to play that match.
    On one hand, I totally agree with them. But on the other hand, I just wanted to give the guy a chance.

So should I give him another chance, or should I tell him I got better players, so that he can't play anymore?

2. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    this is a very tough decision as not to hurt his feelings. i assume that he had no time to practice due to studying?

if i were you i would tell him that there are better people and that his spot is not reserved just for him but not take him totally out of the picture just yet. maybe this would inspire him to work better and train harder in order to get his "spot" back on the team.

if not then i would replace him with one of the other guys since your goal on your team is to win.

you never really appreciate something until it is gone.

i hope your situation works out.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Indeed this is a tough one.

If possible, change the rotation a bit, which means let him take "easier" opponents in the next meet. This way, give him a bit time to re-gain his touch, and build his confidence. At the same time, your team still have a better chance to win. Don't forget to encourage him (both on and off court), as he's already hurt in the most recent defeat.

4. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

There is no such thing as giving someone a chance in a team event.
    If you are playing "Happy badminton", Yes, but NO when it is competitive.

It is all about decision making and risk taking.
    All you need is one wrong placement or pairing and the team could lost to a team which you could have at least draw or win.

Maybe you should test the replacement player against the base player who have yet to play.
    Try the pairing of double to see who is better in double too.
    From there, you get to see who is stonger in what.

I assumed the base player who have yet to play a match have not been playing much? You might have to consider whether due to lack of practice, his performance might be below par.

Lastly, sometimes player have an "off day" too.

5. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    I agreed to state the goal for the team in this competition up front...

...if it is for fun, then everyone should have a chance to play and vice versa ;)

Being captain means that you are the one to make tough calls :(

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Ah Captain of the team eh....... at least you get to feel what ppl like LYB, alex Ferguson and etc goes thru on a daily basis.

Interesting sharing, i agree more with what the rest say. If you are the decision maker, you have to do whats best for the team. And you will never be able to satisfy/please everyone.

Cheers matey.

The Borneon BaddyNut

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Not much of a tough choice. Should have gone with the veterans (which in this case turns out to be the replacement players). They have earned their places on the team afterall. Perhaps limit the guy to a doubles team and let him prove himself a few more games before you boot him out.

8. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Thanks for all the reply's.
    As said above, he hasn't had much time to play due to school. But now, after his exams, he isn't showing much initiative to improve or to train. I kinda knew that he wouldn't do to good, but since I has quite sure about the rest of the matches, I put him in anyway (We won btw, 6-2, lost the 2 matches he was in). And I just wanted to give him a chance, was that so wrong?

Next weekend we're playing again, in another club (don't know how to say away-game in english :p ). I'll see if he's willing to go with us, we're playing the last team in the ranking. But if he's not even willing to make the effort of comming with us, I'm dismissing him from the team, fair?

9. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Honestly, if you consider him as a base player, then he is a automatically the first choice.

Giving "a chance to play" is only for replacement player when you have no choice(in this case, that base player do not want to play that particular match) or the replacement player has become better than your base player.

It seem that everyone is blaming him for his lost. What you can do is test out what I written before. Find out whether he is still a better player than your replacement player in both single and double.

From there you decide whether you want to have a strong double or single for the your last player or who you consider will give you a higher chance of winning as a team.

Do remember that someone good in single might not be good in double. If he prove himself better than the replacement players in both single and double, then the lost is mainly due to the the fact is that the opponents are better or he had a bad day.

#9 hyun007, Feb 16, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2006