Thick AND Thin Grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by mencalico, Aug 26, 2023.

1. mencalico

mencalico New Member

web designer
    Hi
    Does a thicker grip give an advantage/disadvantage to playing or is it just a comfortablilty preference Thank you

2. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hi

In my experience, I have seen people with large hands and / or poor technique use a thick grip.

A thin grip would give more feedback/control which would help a player hit his/her strokes with consistency.
    A player would be able to control the movement of the racquet head better.

A thin grip would also allow for more wrist movement increasing the range of racquet manoeuvres.

Example:- for doing fine work like drawing, threading a needle we would prefer to wear thin surgical gloves rather than mittens.

Hope it clears some concepts.

Cheers,
    A casual player.

#2 dnewguy, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

It depends on how long your fingers are / how big your hand is.

There is a rule of thumb you can to do see if your grip is too big or too small.

Hold the racquet in a forehand grip. See how much overlap there is between I think it's the thumb and middle finger (could be thumb and pointer finger, don't have my racquet with me right now).

As a player, you need to be able to change grips (forehand, panhandle, backhand, bevel) fast in your hand and that is why you see people with size grips and different material grips.