Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. abcdef200886

abcdef200886 Regular Member

old school style of badminton game

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hate to change shuttlecocks. Hope the natural ones will always have perfect feathers and flight everytime you smash.

3. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    There are many many many many many many many things that I hate , but I'll tell some of it :
    1.When I was young , I dont remember me or my friend challenge me to have a match in badminton . Who won , get the girl that we are crazying . Most ridicilous thing I ever did , I do play on him and I win but get nothing . Like I say , most ridicilous . That is old story , Im child that time .
    2.This year , my friend challenge me to have a match in badminton . He and me fight each other , it is a long story . I refuse it because of some problem . Then he say that Im coward . He also say to his friends that Im big talk , underess people , like teasing and all other negative thing(all thing that I comment on him , he tell that it is me)
    3.Use many money for all reqruiment in badminton
    4.etc.......

4. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    Seriously, do your opponents actually do that? :O Where do u play?

All the people I play with ar like really humble and if I lose they don't say anything. Hmm, maybe sometimes some people blame that they're tired or hungry or stuff when they lose... :)

Anyway, what I hate most about badminton must be people with really lousy technique beating you ( or even getting a point of you :p ).

Another thing is that shuttles ar so damn expensive here in Sweden... :(

And I hate people who say it's out when it's on the line (although I haven't met many of those...)

5. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    ok not really that way. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. When he wins he go to a player next to me and ASK how the score was because he "forgot" it so I have to tell them.

I play in malmoe :) Where do you play?

For me the shuttles aren't expensive for me because I don't buy them, the club gives us. :D

6. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    People who constantly tell you you're playing badly because of the racket/equipment you're using. This happened a lot when I was a beginner because I didn't use Yonex. They even refused to believe me saying I was playing badly and then came up with other excuses when I borrowed their racket (such as I needed to get used to it).

It was quite satisfying when I became better than them, beat them at singles and with a "rubbish" racket.

Not that I hate that, equipment snobbery is just mildly annoying. As I have gotten better it's disappeared though, now everyone asks what racket I'm using and asks to borrow them!

Also people who coach you when you're playing against them even if you're beating them comfortably. Especially if they are talking rubbish and won't be corrected.

Thankfully these people are few and far between in badminton compared to other popular sports in England.

7. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    Hahahahha, forgot :D :p

(actually my club payes for the shuttles I play with too :p)

I play in stockholm :) what club do u play for? sorry for OT

8. fitnessguy

fitnessguy Regular Member

Student
    I have to say that i LOVE the game (the sport-aspect of it) the only thing that i would ever say that i hate about badminton, is those players who don't play fair, or don't seem to have fun on court. when an oppenent starts the game without smiling or enjoying to play - he gets angry very easy. I'm a player who don't like that mental game (like useing a lot of time on every serve, or discussing every jugement made against them) i like to play in a friendly enviroment, where you can praise your opponent when he does something great and vice versa. ofcourse this should not be exagerated and you should only do so if you really think that he played a great rally. ;)
    every unfriendly act on a badminton court is (from my point of view) unneccesary and always uncalled for!!

9. Jim_80

Jim_80 Regular Member

Yep, guys with Badminton-rage are the only thing I would say I really hate.

Racket throwing, shuttle abuse, hitting the net in frustration, shouting... It's a game to be enjoyed! Why so angry?

10. surge

surge Regular Member

in a group that i play w regularly, the players openly criticise each other during game. if one wins, they shout across saying all kinds of insulting things to the loser team. yet, after the game, they are smiling and talking and joking about the games, both winner and losers. most of them in the group have played together for eons. seriously, we quite enjoy the drama when such commotions happen!

it makes the game more fun.

now: the part i hate about badminton...when there is only 2 courts and there are 20+ ppl playing during e 2 hour game.

11. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

yup. i hate the long wait for your turn to play. even worse is when its your turn to play, the opponents don't give you a chance to hit because they always give it to the weaker player. i just try to intercept the ball.:D

12. surge

surge Regular Member

that is the reason why i like to join stronger group so that i am the weakest player...plenty of shots to play:D

13. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

i hate badminton :(

1. when i dont perform well in the game .. :(
    2. when i am the cause of a loser game .. :(

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    No nice ladies playing in my court. lol. ;) It gets boring. ;)

15. Amin Khalili

Student
    I hate when I need to change to real grip handle why I already get use to panhandle in all aspect(smash,defence,bachand,trick and etc)

16. Amin Khalili

Student
    Remind me to 2 chineese(bro and sis) that always play mixed and play with me , everytime they want to serve at me they do like scare and sometime they dont want to serve at me . Know why?Because my smash and backhand smash is superb!WAAKKAKAKA I love it! Not only that 2 chineese , other students scare too . And I think only a kid that didnt because he is a blur kid ....

17. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Badminton is such an expensive sport.

Lemme see,

In decending priority and usage:

1) shuttlecocks - checked
    2) booking of courts -checked
    3) hydration liquid - checked
    4) strings/grip -checked
    5) racquets/bag/accessories/shirts/shoes- checked

But it is sure one heck of a game. :D

18. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

Fluorescent strip lights running at 90 degrees to the court. It's like a strobe light going off in your eyes...

My racquets. I have many, but none of them will hit the shuttle consistently over the net and in the court. You'd think Yonex would have had the problem solved by now.

People who blame their equipment :D

19. Munch

Munch Regular Member

1. Racquet clashers. No matter how obvious its an advantage that it is for you to get it your partner still goes for it.

2. A lot of punishment to the body. The earlier years of my training were indeed hard. I have had many ankle twists, cramps, and fatigue that left me bedridden. I don't hold a grudge against the intensive training but that was a lot of pain that I went through to get better.

3. People who believe in fact that money buys skill. There is no easy way to the top. Skill is reflective of your ambitions. Equipment probably accounts for 3% of skill level. I have seen kids who wonder why their $1000+ membership, most expensive equipment, and training with coaches that the pros train with can't win all the time. Its just sad.

4. Cost of badminton and club instability. Once you have hit a plateau with your club you have to move on/most of the club's members have moved on. If you don't pay up extra to go up to the next level then you're stuck at the same level with the danger of losing skill. I've been hit by this and it set me back a great deal.

20. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

I hate some people’s attitude towards the game.

In our club most of the players are above 40 and play doubles mostly. All loved to play badminton. We encouraged young and old alike to play badminton. We gave them all the help they needed to fall in love with Badminton. One of our friend who have never played badminton got interested and joined us. Like all others he was provided all the help. He was a volleyball player and an athlete who participated at university level when he was young. Once he had picked up the game to an average level his attitude in the court changed. He started to shout at his partners when they make a failure or doesn’t smash irrespective of how badly he plays. We all tried to reason with him and failed. He says it’s the same like Volleyball and his shouting is sports man spirit. Three of us have stopped playing badminton because of him. For him he has to win every game any way possible. Whenever he plays he quarrels with someone.

We play twice weekly 2-3 hours per day. Whenever the opposing team is gaining points he makes up some reason to quarrel or cheats on the point or call an “OUT”
    an “IN” or vice versa. He says its sportsman spirit and everyone does it in tournaments!! We had tried to explain to him sportsman spirit and that we are not playing tournaments. We couldn’t convince him!!!

If this guy loses few games he stops playing and fools around and no one else could play. He would then say he couldn’t sleep well or he had too much food or some lame reason. At first we all would let him win a game if he has lost few in a row to encourage him to play but now no one does that and no one wants to be his partner.

If he wins, he will be boasting around how fit he is and will start to advice anyone at sight how he should play etc.

Once he asked me to play singles with him. He rented a court for 2 hours. During the first few game he said I will loose because he is in a better shape and I am not. I would have let him win few games if he didn’t say it. After few games I wanted to go to the WC and this guy wouldn’t let me!!! He wants me to play another set!!! He says I am wasting 5 minutes of the court time!!! (Its not that he who is paying, we share the costs.) I told him to shut up. (He is a very good man and a good friend outside the court)

Nowadays he have started a new method of cheating points. He stops telling the points during game or just tells his points. Later when the opposing team have a good lead he asks their score loudly and then turns and tell his partner quietly the opposing teams score and his score incremented by 2. He lets the play continue for a few more points and then points out that the opposing team is cheating by reducing his points and he verifies his points with his partner and let his partner argue for the points. All of us where clueless at first, after we where fooled for sometime we got the pattern and caught him on it. Now we all want him to say loudly the points while he serve.

No one wants to play with him. We all feel sorry for him and hate his attitude in the court. We have talked to him regarding all these and he doesn’t sees anything wrong in it. He then starts talking about how to play to win as if it’s the only thing in badminton. We are clueless how to handle this issue.

#300 Jestin, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009