Tips for Wrapping Towel Grips with Cushion Wrap – Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Ludwik, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I've been making some changes to my badminton racket grips. I used to go with towel grips, but I was looking for something thinner. That's when I decided to try Wilson Pro Sensation rubber grips, which are incredibly thin. To add some extra cushioning, I layered a couple of cushion wraps. I believe I've found the right balance of thinness and comfort.

However, I've been missing the feel of towel grips. So, I did some research on this forum to find the thinnest towel grips that could replicate my current setup. The options I came across were Yonex 402DX, Victor GR334, and Li-Ning GC200.

Yonex 402DX seemed like a great choice, but it was a bit too expensive for my budget. Regarding Victor GR334, I read some feedback suggesting that they've made changes, and it might not be as good as before. That's why I decided to give Li-Ning GC200R a shot. I've ordered a reel to try it out.

Now, I could use some advice on wrapping a towel grip with cushion wrap. I watched a tutorial on YouTube, and it mentioned leaving a small overlap when wrapping the towel grip over the cushion wrap to prevent tearing and keep the grip secure. Is this true? I used to wrap towel grips directly on a bare wood handle without any overlap. I'd appreciate some clarifications or pro tips before my order arrives, and I start wrapping. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my RMX3363 using Tapatalk

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Cushion wrap and towel grip is a strange combination. Have you though about to wrap the cushion wrap on the bare wood and add a layer of electric tape and than wrapping the towel grip on it? This would also prevent you that the cushion wrap came off with the towel grip when you wrap it in the different direction. How good the cushion effect is I can't tell you, but should be better than just on bare wood. I guess that it will be a bit less cushion (depends how much you stretch the cushion wrap and how tight you apply the electric tape) but I would try it.

Ludwik likes this.
  3. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

I didn't expect that combining a towel grip with cushion wrap would be a bit unconventional. I got the idea from watching Kento and Viktor using this setup, so I thought, why not give it a shot?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I decided to try it out using Li-Ning GC200R. Here's what I did: I applied a single layer of cushion wrap and then wrapped it in scotch tape before putting on the towel grip.

The result? I can definitely feel a bit of extra cushioning compared to the bare wood handle. I'm thinking of experimenting further by adding a few more layers of cushion wrap and adjusting how tightly I wrap the scotch tape.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Thanks again!

Sent from my RMX3363 using Tapatalk

Woesi and ucantseeme like this.