Upgrade from my old racquet MP100

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by on9desu, Apr 24, 2023.

1. on9desu

on9desu New Member

I recently got back into my favourite sport after I stopped playing for a long time. Just for a little reference, I used to train daily and played in school and local tournaments back in the days. I used a Carlton Kevlar Hi- R racquet when I first started playing and eventually upgraded to the Yonex MusclePower 100 when I started playing more competitively.

The reason I’m looking for a new racquet is because my racquet is 20+ years old. I’d imagine racquets nowadays are much better. I plan on using the MP100 as my backup racquet once I get a new one. The other thing is that because I stopped playing for a long time, my shoulder hurts after the first session. I’m starting to get better now that I’ve had a few more sessions, but it doesn’t help that my racquet is a 2U so it is not that lightweight. I am hoping someone could help me with recommendations of a racquet that is a proper upgrade to the MP100 but lighter in weight. I play mostly singles but also some doubles too sometimes.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

20yo racket vs today racket are much different.
    1. No Sledge hammer racket
    2. Let alone 2U, 3U are near extinction.
    3. So overall it will feel lighter.

I guest just go to the store offline, dry swing around all racket there & get anything that you feel like it.

3. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

As someone who also came back with a MP100 I would recommend either Victor Thruster F-enhanced or the Victor auraspeed 100x.

4. on9desu

on9desu New Member

I did a bit of research after the post. It is just as you said, there doesn't seem to be any 2U now and 3U is only offer in some models. It seems like 4U is a popular choice nowadays.
    You are right, it is probably best for me to try them in person so that's what I'm planning to do this weekend.
    I appreciate your help!

5. on9desu

on9desu New Member

Oh wow I didn't think I could find someone with an ancient racquet like me lol. Nice!

I have never tried Victor racquets before. Are they as good as Yonex? The Thruster F-Enhanced looks very cool. What do you like about these two racquets? Do they have similar characteristic as the MP100?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would not say 3U is near extinction.

There’s still a market for them.

If you’re going from 2U to 4U, that transition might be quite hard. 2U to 3U is a bit easier in that respect.

7. Mikkel Press-Stevn

I will admit to have been a bit of a Yonex fanboy in the past. But The Victor rackets have won me over. It is my impression that they are a bit more inbetween then yonex's offerings.
    I preferred the Thruster after playing with the Astrox 77, 88S and 88D pro as it in my opinion was the closest to the MP100 but with a bit more flex which i preferred.
    What I found that I loved with the all MP100 was that it was so stiff and even balance. The Thruster is based on my experience close to this (however! I have not tried the new Arcsabers which might be even closer).
    The Auraspeed 100x is a please to play with the times I have had the chance to try it out. It is a bit easier to play with then the MP100 but packs a quite a lot of power - and more then the MP100

8. on9desu

on9desu New Member

You are right. A 3U racquet would definitely be easier for me to transition to. Thanks for the advice!

9. on9desu

on9desu New Member

You got me interested in trying racquets from Victor. I hope my local store carries them so I can try them out in person. Wow you have experienced in quite a few racquets. I guess if I can't find any Victor racquets, the Arcsaber 11 pro would be the closest thing to what I'm looking for. I appreciate the help Mikkel!

10. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    I bought the Arcsaber 11 pro as a replacement to the MP100.

But I strung it up with the Yonex Aerobite at only 22lbs. Like the tension I would put on my MP100 .
    Its an even balance racket, that swings faster and a bigger sweet spot comparatively to the MP100.
    But it does not feel as "hard" and stiff as the MP100. As such some shots flat accurate pushes felt harder to achieve.
    I'll probably push it up to 24lbs at my next restring. To see what can I extract out the combination. The string frame seems to have some radial flex, unlike the MP100, as such, the 22lbs tension certain made it feel a lot softer compared to that on the MP100.

As for swing in hand at the shop , the Mizuno Fortius 29 Ultima felt the closest in feel to the MP100. So might be worth a look there too.

11. on9desu

on9desu New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience! It seems what you felt is in line with Yonex’s describing of the Arcsaber, more shuttle hold and control. I’d imagine a higher tension would help to compensate for the softness you felt. I wonder if the 100zz would be a better fit then since it’s stiffer than the Arcsaber. It would be an easier transition I reckon?

Unfortunately I don’t think my local shop carries the Mizuno racquet. I’ll probably have to stick to Yonex.

12. what07

what07 Regular Member

I just took my MP100 out of my storage bag and weigh it seeing its a 2U. Only 90.3g with original grip unstrung. So its just a heavy 3U, so my +1 to maybe trying a 3U racket first to ease the transition. Don't really have any recommendation for a racket as I don't remember much about my MP100 or MP99 beside that it was quite a nice solid feeling. Must be something to do with those grooves for the string. Makes it also kinda fully recessed as well.

Currently maining JS12ii 3U / JS10 3U/ 4U(off spec) but will switch over to 88S 3U to try for a bit.

13. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    The Astrox 100ZZ is supposed to be head heavy. So will play and behave a little differently when it comes to reflex shots.

But I have not tried it myself on the court but that's based off older head heavy rackets of the MP100 era that I have used before.

14. Mikkel Press-Stevn

I would argue that most of the newer rackets are better then the old MP100 and that the extra stiff handle today is hard (if not impossible to find) as the technology and player preferences have changed.
    The hard feel of the MP100 can be copied by other rackets with the right strings (Aerobite or BG80 as exsampels) and something like the AX88S, AX88Dp or the two Victor rackets would be very close to the MP100.
    Just remember to leave the memberberries at home :)

15. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    My personal feel is that the Aerobite is a soft string. The Exbolt63 feels way harder.

I have played with the AX88D Pro borrowed from a friend. Its quite a different racket in handling compared to the MP100. Its faster, about as powerful. But doesn't have quite the composure of the MP100 when returning super hard smashes. Maybe its because I'm so used to the MP100, but the AX88D is a different racket when the various aspects of playing a game are put together.

Personal preferences and hard wired reflexes will determine if you prefer it over the MP100. Not a direct substitute.

16. Mikkel Press-Stevn

To rephrase and hopefully make my point a bit more clear :) : I don't think you will find a replacement for the MP100 that feels just like it. They way the MP100 was build is no longer the way new rackets are constructed.
    So my point is you will have to find the racket that for you is the closest to the feeling you loved from the MP100. For me it was the even balance part that made the MP100 great.
    I must admit that after trying new rackets after the MP100 - the MP100 was simply too stiff. If I had to play with MP100 today I would get an injury, so I have chosen something with more flex (not much more flex), in the Victor Thruster.

17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I would still prefer offline tryout than just hunting in the dark night.

1. Today racket & MP age racket are different, even the playstyle are kinda different where now is more about fast pace on double.
    2. Stop playing for quite long time, your body & feeling definitely had forgot how its actually feel. You are growing stronger or might also be weakened due to age where all your prev preference might be change today & all those factor making old long ago perfect racket as standard could be invalid aswell.

Or if you have friend that play around, had some spare racket, & ok for you to borrow it, it would be better. Doesnt mean to be cheap, just get the general character of the racket & then get your own racket.

For example if ur friend own 88D Pro. Tell us what you feel like & dislike from it & maybe we all can give some feedback to which path you might want to go for.

Gladius likes this.