Victor Brave Sword 12 (review)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ucantseeme, Jan 14, 2011.

1. kvn4000

kvn4000 Regular Member

sales manager
    Hi bro, try it 1st seriously and decide :) it will not disappoint u. I really feel strange some says the sw37 is demanding as I don't have a powerful hand but yet I feel so comfortable with it. Bs12 is good, very fast! But I personally feel very less powerful. Played 3 hours yesterday with no prob at all :) maybe u should try for few hours to get a good judgement on it. Again, i sold off arc10 and v70 as I couldn't handle them. Reliased Korean female uses bs12 as well, few of them. Probably it's really a user friendly racket.

2. Swiftlegend

Swiftlegend Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, at the moment I use an ARC10 which i've been using now for around 2 years now. It's nice but I feel its a bit stiff for me. Some nights I struggle to smash hard and others my smash is quite good. After reading through this whole thread I am very close to ordering a BS12 now. I want a racquet that is a bit more flexible than my ARC10, but still with a lot of power. I play mostly doubles and don't like head heavy racquets. Likewise I've tried my friends NS9900 and that is too stiff for me and slightly head light. I know the only way is to try racquets but in the UK that is difficult so I will have to order and try (then return if I don't like it). Does it sound like the BS12 is my sort of racquet? Also I see it is 94g on the brochure, is it heavier than most racquets or is it not noticeable?

3. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    thank to y'all for worshipping BS 12

Hey I just wonder how u guys overcome to time hitting point.... (specially on smash) It is so light or too less air resistence. I usually like to hit it down with my beloved Wilson BLX Recon.

Before my review has began, I have BS 12 from Eu(code says DEF?) strung with Ashaway Micro Flex 21 @ abt 21lbs.

Both of Recon and BS 12 are medium flex and head light (or even balance). When I smash, I have a habbit of squzeeing grip really hard (I heard it is Fu Heifeng Swing or Bao Chun Lai Swing)- anyways, it was effective for me to smash down. But this BS12 has nothing to squzee. I know Lee Yong Dae makes good speed with BS09 and Jung Jae Sung can bend BS12 very well. I keep hitting a shuttle with the top of the head.

I also notice the shuttle tends to flatten in defense. Retrieving shots are not easy with this one. I could not generate enough power regarding the timing issue or my gripping method.

In defense and net area, I was very comfortable. I was able to direct with no problem.

Can someone please teach me how to time on smash with BS12?
    I am thinking to change a string to thinner one with higher tension in order to increase the repulsive. I know Lee Yong Dae string his BS09 at 31lbs. I will try Ashaway Zymax 62 at 24, because I haven't gone to higher tension than 23. Please, gimme some feadbacks if I am going to the right direction!

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ With a head light balance racket that is med flex for smashes, you can't use much power from your shoulders. You need to use a "whipping" action with your arm and forearm to create racket acceleration and max speed at point of strike.

Gpower likes this.
  5. fmqpt791004

College Student
    Yes, my arm and elbow are quite sored after trying to adjust to BS12. I could not whip it with right time and right placement of contact point.

I am gonna try with a thicker grip and thinner string.
    I hope I find more to squizee. My hands are so wierd these days. I am 21 year old guy. My hands get sweaty someday or dry someday. They used to be sweaty all the time.

Do you recommand any other sponge overgrip than Gamma Super overgrip(cheaper than $5 usd)? I bought a bunch of towel grips... what a waste... I actually have Karakal Air point 75. I just need a sponge... advise needed and will be appreciated

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Maybe others can correct me, but imo, going thicker grip is going to tense up your forearm muscles more, which is the opposite of what you want. What you want is to have relaxed muscles in your forearm (imagine your forearm and racket as an extension of a whip system) in order for the whipping action to be effective.

You only "squeeze" your grip and tighten your forearm muscles right at impact, not before nor after.

7. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You need to generate a lot of head speed with headlite rackets like the BS12. From what you're saying, I think you might need a head heavier racket. I can almost guarantee you won't like ZM62 at 25lbs - you don't get more repulsion out of thinner strings at higher tension, you get less.

8. fmqpt791004

College Student
    Sored from squizeeing too late mostly... because my arm swing got so much faster. That is why I am gonna try a thicker grip.

I also wonder if Victor makes 2u of any brave sword series... in my opinion they should, because less air resistence makes it so light. I think it will be awesome!

9. fmqpt791004

College Student
    hm according victor 2010 catalogue, they make BS08 2u... I want to try that... lol

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    For some reason the 08 is the most unpopular Bravesword. No idea why. However, if you like heavier rackets, you should look at the Superwaves series instead as an option. Even a 3U SW35 is a bit of a beast, and you wont be asking for a 2U version of that, let me tell you. Anyway, for more non-BS12 chat, jump on over to the Victor Fans Club thread......

#310 Maklike Tier, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. fmqpt791004

College Student
    Thank you, Visor and Makike Tier, for your advise.

I will need more time to be a friend with BS12. I deeply consider your advise on game style, string choice, grip choice, and swing timing.

How y'all set up your BS12?
    what string and what grip do you use?
    I like to know pros and cons, and why you chose a certain grip and string with BS12.
    what kind of game would you like to play with BS12? MS, WS, MD, WD, XD?
    what type of game style youl like to play with BS12?
    I am guessing not so much smash, but the racket has good flexibility and rigidity.

12. niks

niks Regular Member

Hi,

I own a BS12 and agree with the earlier post. You really need to generate racket head speed with your wrist for this racket. Once you get the feel and timing, smashes and clears will become effortless!

Good luck!

Gpower likes this.
  13. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Hey, I have a BS12 too and I can say that it took some time to get used to it... At the beginning, I couldn't smash with it (it felt really different than my iso ti swing power ss) but I really liked its precision. After some practice time, it became much better. Now I just restrung it with some bg80 (I had the original string on).

14. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

I don't know if it's just me, but i also find for the BS12 and maybe even headlight rackets in general, you need to hit the sweetspot to get a nice, sharp feeling shot.

Or maybe Victor strings suck :p.

15. Swiftlegend

Student
    Hey Guys, just wondering, is the BS12 a light racket? Because when I felt it it felt really light to me yet in the victor brochure its 94g compared to the BS11 which is apparently only 87g. Is this true? Which feels lighter?

16. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

according to the racket label it is a 3U racket. So unstrung, it should be 85-89g

17. Swiftlegend

Student
    so its pretty average then.

18. the_mentalist

the_mentalist Regular Member

Student
    Can anybody compare bs10 and bs12 directly..speed,defense,power,control..etc..Would like to buy either one..

19. Swiftlegend

Student
    Here are my first impressions of my BS12, i'll post a bit more once I've had the chance to play with it.

I got the 4U (lighter) G2 (smaller grip) version of the racket. It seems very quick to manouvere, and once I thicken the grip it will be even faster. At the moment, it has a BP of nearly 305mm which is suprisingly high but the grip is very thin. Comparing to my ARC10 it seems more head heavy but that's down to the grip again I believe. Hopefully i'll add some more comments next week :)

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I tried a BS12 a few months ago, and I found it a bit insubstantial and tinny in 4U. IMO, the narrow Bravesword frame needs as much weight as possible. It didn't seem to like mis-hits either... really jarring.