Victor VS-850 Nanotec String

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sealman, Nov 27, 2009.

1. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Ooops...it may be due to ZyMax, three rackets strung with those versus one with VS-850
    ( ○.○)

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Same racquet on a dropweight machine.

25*26 1260Hz let the creep out. 2 hours to string.

26*27 1245Hz. 45minutes.

The first method seems to have a sort of prestretch, very leisurely pace though. I can't get any useful change over time comparison unfortunately but it is the same racquet.

I need to practice manual prestretch, I have a basis now to see if my method actually has any effect.

I just hope I can match the power from Mark's previous job on the racquet but with bigger sweetspot.

3. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I just bought a reel to try. I found that stringing these is very easy, but the tie off had slipped into the hole in my BS15. I tried a Double Half Hitch knot after and i still slipped.

Also, the first time I strung it, The strings just snapped outta nowhere when I was holding it, straightening out the crosses. I did it the 2nd time and I think its fine now...

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A few people have reported spontaneous breakages of VS850 recently, and I had one myself a few weeks ago. Weirdly, I see it more in sets than reels, and it never happened with the Mk1 VS850...

5. swunk

swunk Regular Member

i myself is a bit disappointed with it durability wise. basically, one average mishit and it's gone. went through half a dozen on several rackets - 5-6 sessions and it's gone. ZM65 is more durable and pretty close performance wise.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Funny..I've been using the new one for quite a long time now and I've never had a break yet.

7. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    I have just used a couple of samples of this string, as provided at a workshop that me and my son attended. I strung my PP UPK in this at 25lbs-27lbs and it lasted about 40mins of the first session playing with it! My son strung his Voltric 80 with it at 24lbs-26lbs and his lasted a warm up and to 4-4 in the first game of a mixed doubles match! No miss hits, just normal play! To be honest I would have expected it to be better than that, or was the string tension to tight?

8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I've used it at 30lb and whilst its only nice to play with for at most 3 weeks, its never broken on me. I string off a reel.

I don't mind that it doesn't last ages, nothing else plays as nicely.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Stranger and stranger - I played it at 30/32 on my old MX80 and JJS and I never broke it once. With plastic shuttles.

Something must have changed during the re-vamp...

10. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'm using the new version.

11. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    We must have been supplied with the new version, it was supplied to us fresh from the box, 2x 10mts reels in the packets from Paul Stewart, who was at the workshop. Maybe it was a bad batch, who knows but it didn't last, and I was disappointed as I had heard good things about it.

12. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Yes I'm disappointed too because I've strung so many rackets with this string without such early breakage. Just as a matter of interest, I wonder whether it's the green as I've never had the white break. I know Mark had the green and perhaps there's something in the dye that changes the string? Paul www.badminton-coach.co.uk

13. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Yes it was the green.

14. xZhongCheng

Systems Analyst
    Mine was a reel of white. I got it straight from Victor Canada in BC. I played with it yesterday, practising my smashes and getting a feel for the shuttle.

At first they felt a bit dead until I started hitting it hard. I am liking them so far.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Mine was also green, but I've had a couple of sets of white go, too.

Weirdly, the reels - mk1 and mk2 - have never presented a problem.

16. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Mark A, a mutual acquaintance of ours is supplying me with another sample of VS850, as he cannot understand why these strings broke so quickly. So we will give it another go and hopefully have some better results as I have read some good reports about it. As for it being green, is it classed as green, or is it more yellow? I would have thought it was more yellow personally. Just my view.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The official Victor name for that colour is "Lucifer green", so I've taken to calling it "green".

It's worth adding that I ran a set of green at 32x33 for a few of weeks before it broke (spontaneously, in my bag, in two places). As Paul said, it could be the dye.

This is very often where high-tension players come unstuck: our hunger for more feel goes past the string's limits:D.

18. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    That's a great name, but it is more yellow, they should also have Damon Blue, Prince of Darkness Black, but I would draw the line at Beelzebub Brown! Spontaneous breakage is not good, I have never had that happen, but the most I have strung is 29x31 in a PP UKP, with BG80.Now dropped my tension to 25x27 and feels good: obviously my hunger has waned!

19. xZhongCheng

Systems Analyst
    I've been playing with 29x31.5 with BG80 and VS850... and it feels amazing when you hit it right. Not so much when you mishit.

20. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I bought a few packs of 850 recently, only used 2 and they've both snapped really early. One at 24lb and one at 28lb.