Yonex ArcSaber 10 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jan 30, 2008.

1. sleepingforest

sleepingforest Regular Member

hiya

i'm by no means a pro player...but here's my take at it..i really think the arc is a love/hate racket as many ppl here have said...some ppl are able to use it comfortably and some just dont feel it...in my case i was lucky enough to feel really at home with the racket from the first time it touched a shuttle...i bought my arc a couple week ago and was able to settle in immediately on my first game..it maybe due to i was using an apacs edgesaber10; its clone before thus the transition was not as harsh..but having said that the es10 is a totally different racket though..it is 4u and is really head light...but so far i'm really enjoying my arc...no regrets at all great buy!:D

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Arc10 is, IMHO, one of the more beginner friendly high-end rackets. What it means is that if you are a beginner, do not care about value for money and have tonnes of money to burn, the ARC10 is not going to destroy your game (compared to e.g. NS9kX).

I am a beginner who prefers stiff rackets and bought a 2nd hand arc10 to see what this is all about. It's not really that bad for most shots but the smashes are weird. I find that my smashes are extremely loud but smashes are just not going out that fast.

My 3u arc10 is kinda heavy (heavier than my 3u cab30) but head lighter (by ~24mm). Defending is one of the strengths of this racket, as is directional control. Otherwise, my cab30 knocks it in every other department.

The arc10 also needs to be strung a bit higher than the normal tension. My arc10 at 28lbs (BG80) feels almost like my Cab30 at 26lbs (BG80).

Sum it up, from beginner to beginner, arc10 is not that bad a racket. At the asking price, there are so many other rackets to choose from that the arc10 is utterly hopeless in the value (ROI) attribute (for me). As beginners, we always run the risk of clashing in doubles so i will not advise this racket unless you do not mind destroying it.

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Yes, agree with Wee Yeh that amongst the high end Yonex racquets, the ARC10 is more beginner friendly than the NS9000/9900 or AT700/900. In fact, the ARC Saber series as a whole is more friendly, if you don't mind sacrificing abit of power, the ARC7/9 is pretty good also.

4. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Getting back another Arch 10.
    It is CP code, too good too be missed this one, a very rare racket.

String with NBG 98 at 28lbs.
    Played last night. Feel so much different with my AT900P JP.
    Felt like head light, easy to swing, very quick indeed, but power wasn't as strong as 900P.

5. AceSpade

AceSpade Regular Member

Day 02: Wielding the Arc10 felt more like aiming with a bazooka. Every shot had a solid loud BOOM to it, as if I was blowing down walls with a battering ram. Very unlike any rackets I had in the past. Solid clears/returns/smashes, however the racket needs certain amount of swing acceleration in order to achieve the momentum to unleash its power, I can no longer 'wing it' with my shots, without using proper technique & timing shots come off very nasty. heavy & powerful but not very nimble/agile. Currently relearning all my shots, accuracy is 60% at best, while absolutely zero finesse at the moment. I pray it improves with time??? As I prefer finesse over power any days..

FYI: found out my friend's Arc10 was a G5, no wonder it's so light. That feel was perfect to me... much lighter & agile. Think if I had bought that one I would have very little learning curve. NOTE TO SELF: Tryout racket before buying!! CHECK the grips size too!!

To Weeyeh: Yea & no doubt I bet NS9kx will be even less forgiving, with it being extra stiff & head light...

#1325 AceSpade, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. zqcebtmu

zqcebtmu Regular Member

Does anyone feel their arc 10 flexing when they smash? My smashes turn into drives sometimes and I'm wondering if my racket is flexing too much or is it because I'm getting tired and not snapping the wrist?

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    This sounds like a technique and timing issue if your smashes turns into drives.

8. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    as above, i have a member at university that has the same issue

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Doesn't quite make sense to blame the racket because it can be done on any. Wouldn't say smashes turn into drives because it was not hit properly. I also own an Arc10 myself.

Then I can say that my smashes look can look like flat drives on my Arc7 once a while because I'm out of position and trying to remain on the offensive.

#1329 Matt, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  10. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    WOW
    this has turned into quite the thread
    1330 comments?!

11. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

I agree...if you try doing a cross court smash with the right timing and power...you know that Arc10 is the cream of the crop as an all-rounder racket.

Tha's my 2 cents...:)

12. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Only one, Matt? Are you sure? :D

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yep, I've done it before, it's very powerful with my own Arc10 which also includes the jump smashing cross court. For the style of play, the Arc7 suits me better overall.

Lol, you can always check my bag! :D

14. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

15. Loglc

Loglc Regular Member

Lomographer
    i experienced this kind of problem before,for me it just me getting tired.got nothing to do with the racket

16. antonl

antonl Regular Member

I have this same problem (smashes to flat drives)...it happens when tired but more frequently, when I am in a poor position to smash. In a poor position, if not flat, my smashes lack any "punch".

While this happens with any racket, the problem is more acute with the ARC10. I have used the AT900T, SOTX13, SOTX CP5000, MP100, RSL 6900 among other rackets and they are all far more forgiving. You'll probably note with the mix of rackets...it isn't a head heavy vs even balanced issue.

I believe that the ARC10 is actually a VERY DEMANDING racket...when playing well, the ARC10 is fantastic and I cannot ask for anything more in a racket. When I am not playing well or competition forces me to run and take poor-positioned or hurried shots, the ARC10 is ....a terrible choice.

I still have to figure this out and would appreciate any ideas.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    have you found any racket that is actually good for when you are not playing well and under-pressure?

i personally have found that the ARC10 to be an excellent all rounder racket. the balance, weight, and liveliness are all superb.

the price however, can come down a bit. :mad:

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Ask around, there are deal to be found...

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    lower than US$150?? i am talking about HK prices here.

20. antonl

antonl Regular Member

When I know my opponent will have me running around like a monkey, I'd go for the AT900 or the W13. My theory is that added weight and head-heaviness would compensate for hurried shots. But I'd lose the advantages of better maneouverability, control, and placement of the ARC10. And I'd tire faster.

Now, I stick to the ARC10 which actually has forced me to make better shot selections, get into position faster, etc. As mentioned, when playing well, the ARC10 is fantastic. When not playing well...it's the racket's fault ha ha.

I do want to know what accounts for the the ARC10's "unforgiving" nature. Is it the material, the hold vs. repulsion thing (which I still cannot understand), or whatever it is that makes the ARC10 different from the rackets I've mentioned.