Yonex new racket is coming: Nanoray Z speed!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kumache, May 29, 2013.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    aha, [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] did it.

I speculate, it's for players who dont like to, or cannot, wield the VT80 and VTZF but don't want to compromise on more racket power when using the other series?

2. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    anyone care to post your personal review yet?

3. whs9988

whs9988 Regular Member

Can anyone review on Z-Speed vs Z-Slash as both are small head? Thanks.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Forgot to mention, I tested the 3U. I don't think the 2U is out yet and even if it is, it'll be harder to swing than the 3U VTZF! :eek:

Thinking about it some more, it feels like swinging a 3U VT70 but with about 4g of lead tape at the top of the frame.

Hopefully soon, but this is not it. It doesn't even have Nanoray specs. I don't even know why Yonex made this racket. I truly salute the player who can effectively use this in fast high level doubles games.

Test it first, if you like very stiff shafts, this is not it. It's what I'd say 3/5 stiffness whereas your MX80 and VTZF are 5/5 and 4.5/5 respectively.

Definitely you must demo test this racket first to avoid any unpleasant surprises or regrets.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=1495]demolidor[/MENTION]
    Measured the shaft length to be 222mm, from top of the cone to the bottom of the frame.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I think perhaps Yonex wanted to create an attacking racket in each line, so that's what this would be. But heck, if it plays like a Voltric, then call it a Voltric.

There's going to be a lot of nasty surprises for people who buy it thinking it's a Nanoray. Get ready for a glut of for sale listings in the next few months. :p

I happen to see a high beginner playing with one yesterday. I was shaking my head in pity and disbelief. If a store owner had recommended this to him, that is really unscrupulous.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    On one hand I have to say I'm confused about Yonex's logic on calling this a NR (and a little disappointed that it isn't what we expected) but on the other hand it is in some respects consistent.

As most of us know, Yonex has always maintained the three main lines of racquets namely

Voltric (Armortec) - Head Heavy
    Arc Saber - Even balanced
    Nanoray (Nanospeed) - Head Light

Although their balance points do overlap.

However when it comes to anything with a "Z" in it, it generally packs some head weight - which seems relatively consistent so far.

Voltric Z Force is head heavy, but because it is a Voltric, it would appear normal and no one bats an eyelid, however I have to say I think it up there with the most HH voltrics if not the most HH voltric.

The ArcSaber Z-Slash is not head heavy as such, but it is probably towards the upper boundary of the even balance band. And some have considered it as mildly head heavy as it is indeed one of the more head heavy of the even balanced arcsabers.

Now, whilst the NanoRay Z Speed is in the NR family, and as such one would expect it to be at the low end of the even balance band (or even headlight), it is a Z, and that would bump the BP up. And as the norm for a NanoRay would be in the region of 285-290, we are shocked when we see such a jump to 300.

In trying to make sense of all of this, I feel that with all the "Z" racquets, what determines the family in which they belong to are the other characteristics of the racquet such as the feel and the "technology" that is applied rather than the BP of the racquet.

For the headlight fans looking for a NS9900 replacement, I suspect it is in the pipeline, but this is not it. Accept and move on.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Thanks for measuring, it's the same as a Z-Slash. Also measured that at 222mm (and 7.0 thickness)

9. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

its not that bad visor, or is it? i just had another go with it for 2 hours just now and i was happy to have caught a couple of almost lethal shots, just so happened to be able to "hook" the shuttle back into the opponent's side when i was off position and they rushed in with a quick kill . i can easily do this with the FB or the Iforce, it seems achievable with nrzspd with a bit more practice and getting used to.

still testing/trying out... rather pleased still... it made my vt80s feel redundant!

10. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

Agree with vajrasattva on this ... though the BP is of HH (300mm) but it swings fast giving an edge on response time. It felt quite similar to ArcFB but with additional weight and solidness. Juz my 2 cents.

11. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

I agree, and all of the Z series has "compact frame" / semi-isometric

Arcsaber Z-Slash =
    Compact Frame - HM Graphite, HT Graphite, CS Carbon Nanotube
    Shaft - HM Graphite, Ultra PEF, Super HM Graphite

Voltric Z-Force =
    Compact Frame - HM Graphite, Sound Filter, EX-HM Graphite, Tungsten
    Shaft - HM Graphite, NanoPreme

Nanoray Z-Speed =
    Compact Frame - HM Graphite, Sonic Metal, EX-HM Graphite
    Shaft - HM Graphite, Nanometric, X-Fullerene

:)

12. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    I was able to do a side by side comparison with my Z-Slash. The head is not only a little bit narrower than the Z-slash but also shorter in comparison. Interesting! I did have the chance to play with it for a couple hours while showing it to other players. Incredible racquet I must say. Smashes are effortless with lots of power along with equal speed in defensive drives at the net. Only took me 10 minutes to adjust and get use to this hot new racquet. I must say, the colors are eye catching. Many people approached me to see what I was using. :p

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Well, MBS says mine are being packed - a day before the ETA:).

I'll probably play one off-the-shelf and move the other one down to 290 (assuming it's not there already). If the stock balance doesn't hinder the movement, who knows? Free power!

14. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

60860_404484519674287_1819085294_n.jpg

Kenichi Tago is using it at the moment.... but the racket looks very short in the picture.....

15. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

Z-Speed feels stiffer than the Z-Slash. If you are a wrist-player, Z-Speed should be powerfull. If you are a arm-player, Z-Slash would be easier to generate power.

16. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Good to see Tago using it already, although surely he now needs to change footwear :D

Always wanted the yellow 65FT's that he wears tho....

For me this is a must try racquet being a high-end NS/NR user that plays a lot of singles....

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Indeed - weird perspective. But it seems like he's really found his kind of racket - tiny head and well-marketed :D

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    What I like about this racquet head shape compared to the Zslash is that it keeps the top part of the racquet wide and reducing the size at the bottom of the racquet. This makes the racquet (in theory at least) more playable as no one hits the shuttle at the bottom of the racquet head.

19. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    and the wait for NS9900 upgrade continues......

20. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

iziit, which game?