Yonex Voltric 80 E-Tune

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Thank you sir for the review. Greatly appreciate it mate.

GobyShankar likes this.
  2. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    got one in 4u version in exchange for zf2. installed all 4 parts and got it strung with gosen r4x 110 at 26lbs. string job was quite tight and was nice.

sound from both the string and rackets are nice.
    racket is very slow, noticeably slower than same 4 u zf2.
    mine is headheavier than zf2, but oh boy! its in no way less. flex is more than zf2 and my wrists feel worked up!
    swing needs a lot of control with this one. more forgiving than zf2!
    suits my style of long swings and power is a pure joy! i suppose i have found the right string to go with my racket!

3. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

You should be fine, the transition from head-light to head-heavy was easy for me and I consider myself an amateur. In short, you'll have far less racquet head speed but much more force behind shots if your able to generate sufficient power. The head-heaviness actually makes it a lot easier to punch out backhand power shots. Initially, you might struggle with the slow response and bulkiness of moving the racquet around but remember that you have a flexible shaft of the Voltric 80 on your side.

I went from a headlight Lethal 70 (276mm bp) to a head-heavy ZF2 (305mm bp), then a modified DG10 (338mm+ bp); all bp's stated involve racquets in their playing form, ie, strung, with grip.

PS: It is interesting to note that bp's as high as 350mm+ are achieved on a bare wooden handle on a Voltric dg10 lol!

Matted likes this.
  4. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Thanks, i still haven't gotten the racket as of the moments due to delays but ive been playing with a really heavy conventional racket (2U/1U) and so far i haven't had any issues with it which is nice

5. yeahdionnel

yeahdionnel Regular Member

Another tip man,for the v80 etune,if you're going to add the grommets,be sure you have a good stringer. The method of stringing the etune is different from the basic stringing.

My voltric 80 etune has bg85,30 tension with 10% pre stretch

6. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Damn thats gonna be hard since i only string my rackets at those sports stores where they dont specialize in anything, not really many badminton only stores here in the Philippines.

A30 tension? Isnt the recommended 27? Is it not that risky to go out of the recommended tension cause iwas planning to string my racket at around 30 aswell.

7. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

The only difference in stringing is the starting knot. The Starting knot for crosses start at b4 instead of b6 for the v80e.

You can go above the recommended tension without any problem as long as the frame isnt damaged. 30 Pounds is save, but i wouldnt go much higher. (For reference JOJ uses 34 pounds with 10%PS, but he gets his rackets replaced if they break.)

8. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    well, the stringing pattern is very different for this racket, i changed my stringer for this racket alone and he was commenting on the difficulty and pattern mismatch with racket. also, r4x is a very twisty string and he was having some problems. took his time and came out ahead. we couldnt be happier! its a match made in heaven! all must try this string with racket at 26lbs

9. yeahdionnel

yeahdionnel Regular Member

Voltric 80 etune does not have any problem going higher than 30 especially if its new. As @mrarc2 said,no problem especially if the head isnt damaged.

Im a filipino too brother! I can recommend you to my stringer if you're located here in manila.

10. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

11. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Yep im at las pinas bro

12. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Do you guys know the reason for why the stringing pattern for the VT80ETN is different than any other racket? Is it because of the attached grommets or something?

13. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

The lower Etune parts replace grommets B6+B7. both of these are single holes.
    Like the lower Etune part is itself a combination of two grommets.

14. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

I think it relates to the fact that racquets utilize different head-frame shapes; some racquets, like your voltric 80 uses a conventional isometric head, others like my ZF2 and DG10's use a symmetrical quad oval shape and lastly there's the old school "egg" shape; Ashaway's are a good example of these egg shapes. As such, I believe that the recommended stringing pattern for your Voltric 80 fits the brief of the general pattern for most 76 hole layouts.

I am not sure about some of the other views here which state otherwise, as I gleamed this difference in stringing patterns between 76 hole isometrics vs 76 hole quads vs 72 hole eggs off the Yonex Catalogue itself. See the official reference here, page 18 / 32 - http://web.archive.org/web/20171123130054/http://www.sunrisecatalogue.com/uploads/catalogue/docs/2017 Badminton Catalogue.pdf

PS: This might be a small hunch of mine but I do suspect that Yonex's recommended performance stringing pattern for the quad oval shape racquets like mine place a larger emphasis on a higher but smaller sweetspot. The first cross sits quite a bit higher than the usual 76 / 72. Its also worth having a look for the official leak thread on Lee Chong Wei's infamous repainted Z Force 1 racquet and its grommet layout comparisons to actual Duoras.

15. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    i think this is what he was referring to:

interestingly, the AX77 pattern follows the compact head and FB GZ series, while only the VT80ETN specifically asks for a different stringing pattern
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So what should be the big deal about the VT80ETN pattern? It's exactly as @Mr Arc2 wrote - the only difference is that the crosses should start at b4 instead of b6.

The difference between AX77 etc. and VT80ETN/Arc11/VT7 etc. is the configuration of the single pass and shared grommets at the top sides. That makes the pattern drawing different, but doesn't change the flow when you are actually stringing it.

17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    80 pattern is nothing special. If you 1 pc it, it’s identical to other 76s.

18. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    I wasn't contesting any of that. My comment had to do with head shape if you had read it.

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I replied to that sentence, plain and simple.

20. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    all right pal i don't know what's aggravating you. i sent those pics to show that maybe it isn't compact vs isometric head stringing pattern as the person above me at the time had suggested.
    i never disputed whatever it was about the grommets in the vt80etn that someone else mentioned that could have explained its peculiar stringing pattern.
    you quoted my post, and asked a question which you seem to think is a reply to what i was inferring-- that is, the difference in head shape is not a predictor for different stringing patterns.