Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, that ungodly sound is amazing. Sometimes when I hit it just right and perfect, it sounds like a cross between a whip crack and a string breaking, then I immediately look at my racket to check for broken string or frame. :D

#1241 visor, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Is the boom from ZM70 anywhere close? I prefer bass over tinny/crackly/raspy noise and my frame can take the necessary higher tension. Used my last 65 but I hope it lasts :)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I prefer the crack of lightning more than the boom of thunder, but everyone is different. :)

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Lightning is technically silent but I forgive you. I know what you mean ;) If that's a good analogy I'll take some roll of thunder please!

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

au contraire - thunder IS the sound made by lightning! :)

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Go on....

You got something against webbed feet? :p

7. visor

visor Regular Member

What I mean is that I liken zm62 sound to be like the sharp crack sound that occurs before the rumbling sound of lightning. :)

8. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Ok, I'm a total zymax newbie but I have read through the 30 most recent pages of here but I'm not sure so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I have tried all the major yonex strings and also powergut 65/66, microlegend normal and xl, apacs stern 9 etc. and I have found I have liked bg80 the most for its durability and feel. Strung on my MX80 or Carlton VTE its really quite wonderful for the repulsion, grip and responsiveness and I also have bg80P on my spare racquet (for use with new partners and new players) which I have enjoyed using, but felt it lacked the responsiveness and grip I enjoy with BG80 although its hitting sound is unbelievable loud (to my ears) however recently I have felt that bg80 isn't putting out what I'm putting in when I smash or in backhand clears (straight and crosscourt) and backhand smashes (not a shot I do a lot, but when I do, I would like it to give what I put in) so I have been hunting for a new string. I usually string bg80 on my MX80 at 26/27lbs (depending on physical condition and expected playing conditions) and my VTE between 26-28lbs and I only play with feathers. If I find myself using plastics, my aforementioned spare racquet with BG80P@24lbs is used.

I am getting ready to start learning how to string and hopefully I will be stringing my own racquets soon so using ZM 62/65 wont be such a money drain so I want to start using one of these. I had the opportunity to try ZM67@ 26lbs on a borrowed arc10 pg and I was pleasantly surprised. I have used this exact racquet before but with bg80P@26lbs so I was surprised at the difference this string made but I felt it wasn't quite as fun or powerful as I would like. Also, slicing wasn't as easy as it is with BG80 but its not bad either so I decided to read a bit about similar strings. From my reading, it seems ZM62/65 are the ones to go for but I am going to be buying a whole reel to save money so I was hoping I could get some advice on which to get and which colour would be best and what tension I should use. I will also be stringing a VT80 for someone who uses their arm a lot more than me (I do most of my shots with about 80-90% wrist except smashes) and they like bg80 and powergut 65@ 24.5lb and 26lbs respectively and they will be using the same ZM string as me.

Thanks in advance for your advice and I hope to return the favour in the future.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Since you don't yet know exactly what you like, I would not recommend buying a reel to "save money".

Just buy individual sets of string until you settle on a string / tension combination that you really like. Then consider buying a reel.

10. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    I was hoping to find out the differences between these strings and similarities and differences to ZM67. I have used a lot of different strings and I have a good idea of what I want in a string, but if these don't have the attributes I'm looking for then I won't buy it. I am looking at these since durability is something I'm less concerned about as it will be considerably cheaper once I'm stringing for myself so I'm reconsidering my options and these seemed like strings I may enjoy.

It may transpire that neither of these appeal to me at all and I'll stick with BG80 but I can't afford to try a set of ZM62 and 65 in each colour at a variety of tensions since by the time I have done that, I will have spent over half what a reel would cost and I don't have enough court time to try them all in a reasonable amount of time which is why I am asking on here for some comparisons and opinions on these strings. At the very least it will reduce the number of strings I test myself and save me a lot of time and some money too.

11. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'm struggling for power with my 8dx @26x24, may drop it a couple of pound next time.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I only meant, "don't buy a reel before you try the string." ;) Anyway...

Instead of testing all possible combinations, narrow it down.

You already have a familiar tension, right? So use this. Maybe drop it slightly (say, 1 lb) for the thinner strings, especially if you're using very high tensions. Your choice.

This leaves you with at most three strings to try: Zymax 62, 65, and 67. You can ignore Zymax 70, since you're not after a super-durable string (it's thicker than BG-80).

You could start with ZM-62. If that breaks too fast, or is too difficult for your stringer (this happened to me), you could move up to ZM-65. But if ZM-62 works well for you, then you really don't need to try the others (unless you want to!).

Leave colour until last, or just ignore it. It probably makes no difference whatsoever; and if it does make a difference, the difference will be very subtle.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Just get some 62 and 65 from RKEP Eric... just as inexpensive as getting a reel.

And string 1-2 lbs lower. But be warned about 62, it doesn't tolerate any mishits off centre if strung over 24-25 lbs or so. ;)

14. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    [MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION]: Thank you for the advice. :) Sorry for my misunderstanding. Is there a big difference in power+grip between zm62 and 65 or are they similar? Also, should I prestretch either of them or string straight out of the packet?
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]: Good advice, didn't think of that. Although postage may take a long while. Should have bought it when I was buying grips and socks (arriving this week I think). Still will consider that. Thanks, if I try it I'll use 24lbs to be safe. Is 65 much more durable or fairly similar? Should I prestretch them or string straight out of the packet? How off-centre are we talking here? Also, do you need to change your grommets more or is it fairly similar to other strings?

Thanks guys.

15. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Well well well I tried zm62 for the first time yesterday and I gotta say I'm impressed. I'm not too worried about mishits with my MXJJS because I can string an extra top cross on it. And I usually end up cutting my strings after about 2-3 weeks because of the tension drop anyways.

I hope I don't like it too much again tonight because I might just sell all my 4 SW35's (and a few reels) to get more MXJJS.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

24 lbs should be ok. If above, any low power mishits within 2 inches of the frame would snap it. 65 is more durable of course... really, I found it to be exactly in between 62 and 67 in terms of repulsion, feel, control and durability.

No, no pre-stretch! These cores don't give much and will lose elasticity if pre-stretched. It's only done for strings that tend to lose tension easily like bg65 and vs850. Zm strings hold tension very well.

Grommets, yeah, that's the price we pay for thin strings... they will get damaged more easily due to higher stress in a narrower area.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Tonight I get my first try with ZM-65. Report to follow.

I'm in the process of following my own advice (for once!):

1. I tried ZM-62 @ 23 lbs, which was amazingly good -- until the tension dropped slightly after a week.
    2. My stringer struggled to cope with 24 lbs, since the string is extremely thin.
    3. I gave him ZM-65 to string @ 24 lbs. Hopefully this will be easier (and perhaps even act as training wheels for ZM-62...).

As for pre-stretching -- not sure, because I'm not a stringer. But I think BC stringers are saying "no". Search the forums for more info.

For fast experimentation, order from somewhere local (e.g. stringersworld). A single pack of strings is so cheap it doesn't matter. The cost only adds up when you are stringing regularly.

18. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]: Thank you. Since I am only an average level player I'm going to try a set of ZM65 first and see if I like it. If its not good enough then I'll try 62. Don't want to try 62 and then 65 because I'm worried I would constantly miss the extra power from 62 if I use 65 after but if I like 65, then nothing to miss and I save myself a little bit of money and time. :) Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some grommets then. Time to hunt for the right ones.:rolleyes:
    [MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION]: Good to hear, looking forward to your opinion. You're also playing in London like myself so similar conditions as well which is convenient. :) The tension dropped in a week? :eek: That's fast! My regular stringer is the opposite to yours. He is constantly encouraging me to use ZM62 'because it's easier'. Idk if that's because it really is easier for him, or because he wants me to give him more money from more frequent breakages? ;) Training your stringer? I'm reminded of that animated film called 'How to train your dragon'. Not sure 'How to train your stringer' would be quite as popular though. :p Seems no is the agreed answer. Yh, I'll buy a packet of 65 and one of 62 this week and see how it goes. If I like the 65, I'll just string my friend's VT80 with it so I get tempted to use it for myself.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not really. It's normal.

All strings lose tension as you play with them, and the biggest drop happens in the first few sessions of playing. After that, tension loss becomes much slower.

Some strings hold tension better than others, however. I would say that the tension drop was a little less than BG-80 (which itself is quite good for holding tension).

20. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    I know all strings drop tension. But usually mine don't drop for at least 2 weeks, although its usually 3/4 weeks however I know my stringer prestretches my strings for a bit longer than usual to make sure they hold (apparently keeping my strings at a constant highish tension is good business :p) so I'm surprised your's dropped so quickly. Do you keep your racquets in their cases or lose in your bag? And where do you usually store your racquets? I'm just wondering if maybe its conditions they are kept in but what do I know. :p