Basic Grip for overhead backhand clear.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Anyone here uses the basic grip for the overhead backhand clear or supports the basic grip instead of the bevel grip? i was watching badminton videos of bao chunlai and i realise that he uses the basic grip for the overhead backhand clear( if im not wrong, 80% should be correct). And i watch another training video and this china coach oso teaches her students to use the basic grip for the overhead backhand clears. So the qns is..is the basic grip better than the bevel grip since those top players are using it???:)

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's certainly a viable alternative. Remember that the only difference is the thumb placement; these two grips are very similar. I use both, depending on the situation: generally I use the basic grip when the shuttle is level with me, and the bevel grip when it has travelled just slightly behind me. Next step is the panhandle grip (eep!).

I also find that the basic grip works better when you are playing a sudden backhand clear -- as when in the midcourt, intercepting a shallow lift. Here, there's less arm turn and more of a flat hit. Because the basic grip allows a more relaxed wrist, I feel you can get a little more "rebound" on your grip tightening.

On the other hand, I think the bevel grip provides more leverage, and therefore helps to support arm rotation. So if I were making a longer swing, I would use the bevel grip.

Whichever grip you use, it's important to keep the thumb straightened during the hitting action. If you use the basic grip, be careful not to allow your thumb to curl around the handle -- you need that support from behind.

#2 Gollum, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

haha yea gollum! thx for the advice! and i noe tat if ur thumb curl around the handle u will have a floppy backhand haha! been to ur badmintonbible a thousands times and its in my favourites haha! Anyway wads ur racket tension??

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks, glad you like the site. :)

My tension is 24 lbs. It used to be 25, but I've dropped it a little while recovering from my shoulder injury. Need to build up my shoulder some more before I go up again.

5. huynd

huynd Regular Member

IMHO the basic grip can be used for backhand clear, but not usable for backhand drop. The slicing action of the drop would be much more easily excecuted with a bevel grip or pan handle.

When I play single, I use pan handle every time the shuttle goes to my back hand corner, allowing it to fall a little steeply then I can either drop clear. If the shuttle goes to back hand but not deep, then I would go for round the head shots.

6. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

i use the basic grip for backhand drops..now im learning to use the basic grip for backhand cross drops haha!:)

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I agree that, for drop shots, the bevel grip should be better than the basic grip -- because the thumb position allows you more precise control of the racket head.

8. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Wow true ah? looks lyk im gonna test it out haha!:)

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The bevel grip is more of a "fingertip" grip than the basic grip -- so it can help for touch shots.