Teaching the GF how to clear the shuttle, need help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I was trying to teach my gf how to clear the shuttle and she is finding it hard to get to the backline. I think im missing something or will it take a bit of time. She was using panhadle grip which i fixed. Got her side on to shuttle and got her at the back of the court to save on teaching the footwork for now. She cant seem to step into the shuttle thou yet but hopefully that will come. Also I got her to get her elbow up and racket back but because her shoulders were sunburnt, this for sore lol. I also explained the whole pronation and supination and showed her the action to hit the shuttle with but I feel she jus hasnt got the timing yet.

Any other tips or advice. Anything am possibly missing??

On a positive note, I got her doing a perfect forehand low serve, nice and tight to the net and landing within the 1st foot on the service box. Before, she hit it up to head height and that was it. I believe the players she plays with jus dont kill it out of kindness but now 7/10 the serve was low enough that I couldnt kill it :),So I was well pleased with the progess she made here :D

2. Yuzo64

Yuzo64 Regular Member

As you said, she has a problem with timing. That's what you should try to fix first. Is she usually hitting with a high contact point? If not, try to teach her that first. Without movement, pronation stuff or the like, just to get the feeling.

In those cases, the best is to break every thing down and repeat one part of the hitting action again and again to understand and actually experience (which is far more important than just a mental process) the difference with what she's currently doing.

This is awfully slow, but efficient.

Anyway, I'm no coach, if someone has a better way of teaching this stuff, please stand up :)

Please consider that there are people that are just not cut out for sports too, this is not nice to say, but it's true. When they can't, they can't, don't be too hard on her if that's the case :)

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Maybe she's holding the grip too tight. Squeeze as you "HIT" the shuttle. This will hopefully encourage a whippy action

4. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Im trying to tel her to slow it down to get the timing right 1st and Ive also told her about soft hands and having relaxed grip and tightening on point of impact.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Sounds like she may be struggling with "too much information"! Haha! sorry phil... by the way, have you tried clearing left handed? Then you will understand how she feels...

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Clearing end to end is certainly something that takes time. Focus on the technique and not the distance for now. Also, perhaps her shoulder girdle and forearm need a little strength work, away from the courts.

BTW, this is a great test of your relationship. How patient and kind can you be in teaching? And how patient and kind can she be putting up with your teaching? :rolleyes:
    Hope you are allowing her to teach you something, too. Ballroom dancing? Cooking? The lyrics to Justin Bieber songs?:)

7. Yuzo64

Yuzo64 Regular Member

Yes, you "told" her. Doesn't mean she understood, doesn't mean she knows what she has to change, doesn't mean she practiced all those things.

8. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Rub lotion into her shoulders to 'soften' the sunburnt skin, so she can move her arms better.
    Is she getting behind the shuttle? she needs to be hitting in front of her slightly, if the bird is too far back behind her it will go upwards somewhat.

9. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Matt: Yea I told her a lot lol but I think she needs more time at it. She def looked a lot better by the end and was getting an extra foot or 2.

Fidget: Yea she is enjoying it and had a lot of fun at my coaching session. Shes coachin me tennis tonit so should be fun.

Rykard: I told her to get behind it, thats why i made her stand at the back of court 1st so am not confusing her with footwork aswell. I will have to rub sum lotion into her shoulders lol

10. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I would say teach her footwork as well. The basic ready position then step behind the bird swing and back into ready. As other people said work with her timing and consistency, power will follow. Later on her hips will come into it and that will give her the power to get it even farther.

Just wanted to ask how long have you been teaching her? Because in my experience a base to base comes within a month or two and thats with everyday training.

11. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Only 1 training session of 1hr and 30 mins lol

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As a thought, have you considered goal setting? Measure where she hits the shuttle to today, and next time, the aim is to hit a further 2 feet beyond that. Set realistic goals! Aim to be hitting full length clears (with 2 training sessions a week) within 4 months or so. This gives plenty of time to develop, and hence should seem achievable. Together with sub goals (the distance ones) you should be there in no time. After clears, I recommend teaching finger power on drives and lifts!

I think that she will develop good technique if she reaches up to a high contact and uses the correct grip. Not a lot can go wrong then (although it is always possible).

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    oh, new girlfriend syndrome:) LOL

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Motivation: Tell her she gets a dollar for every good clear. In no time she will bring you to the nearest departmental store:D

15. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Real motivation would be ... get a genuine Louis Vuitton bag for a baseline to baseline clear.
    I'm positive...she will get there in shortest time possible.

16. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Sometimes the harder you try, the less far you hit. Really focus on technique and timing and not so much on distance, and the power will come over time. In particular, use your ears and listen for that crisp hitting sound on every clear.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

She's coaching you tennis? That means she's coming from a tennis background. In that case, make sure she doesn't force it and use too much shoulder. Remind her to use a loose arm like throwing a rock.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Cricket. A nice military medium-pace action. But most definitely not modelled along the Harmison style...

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

^One of the lads at my club clears like Malinga:D.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ooh! :eek: Not doing his elbow any favours, eh? :p