Crosscourt Lift Return

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Aug 20, 2011.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hello,

Can someone give me instructions on how to hit this shot with the most power when put into a situation where your opponent lifts crosscourt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMmokBFgk0
    (At around 7 seconds)

2. qingshun

qingshun Regular Member

I think good footwork will give you more time to generate more power and since the shuttle is lifting up high. U need to dash behind the shuttle and give it a good jump smash with all ur body weight by slamming yourself forward with ur legs bend 90 degrees with a beast probation of the arm and wrist power. Give it a try. If ur opponent return the shot, it will very good foot work to keep urself in the game.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

most power?? That shot doesnt require lots of power. :confused:

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Oops, sorry for the bad wording. I meant how to get into a position from the forecourt to the rear that gives you a choice of shots.

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Good footwork. Lot of players including myself find this hard ESP if u tend to split wit right foot forward slightly. Watch him carefully. Wot is he doin exactly. It's a step wit right and then a jumpin chasse movement which takes him rest of way. Mark out court in ur yard and c if u can make the distance. I did this ages ago lookin at Lin dans overhead footwork. It was the jump/skip part which it took me a while to figure out.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    When an opponent plays a cross court lift, one of several things can happen. Either it is so low you can hit it when it comes past, or you will have to move. If it is very high, you have plenty of time, so no problems. The one you show at the beginning of that video, is a very awkward height, it goes past quickly, and you have little real chance of getting it whilst its high (which gives the most options). Your best bet is to do what LCW did regarding the movement - he splits with racket leg (right leg) forwards, and the first thing he does is pivot on his left foot, and step towards the deep forehand corner with his right foot. Once you have made this turn, you can do whatever you like. If the shuttle is really low, you can simply take two more steps (left step then right lunge). If the shuttle is a little higher, you might take two steps (left then right) followed by an attacking jump (probably block jump) of some sort. If you are LCW, then after turning, just jump :)

Depending on the height of the shuttle, the quality of the shot (from a very good opponent) and how well balanced you are, you will have to do whatever is best and gets you to the shuttle quickest in any given situation. However, if you make that first step quickly (the step towards the corner, pivoting on the non racket foot), then you will be in good shape to get whatever you like!