Returning serve - advanced techniques, deception etc

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Am an advanced player. I can play at good standard but I want my return of serve to b real good as this is an important shot. I'm 6ft 2 and stand 1ft from front line, wide stance, low down wit forehand grip. I stand with top of racket head at tape height. Am right handed so stand left foot forward.Generally I do a half court push to same side. If am in left court, I commonly do wee half court push to my left.I sometimes from left court do a deceptive push/drive cross court to the backhand side of the server which is great shot but I find this shot hard. Has any1 any tips for this shot? Is it jus a matter of practicing it?

Any other good returns I can do? ESP deceptive returns as this is 1 of the most important shots Thanks.

Any videos wud b good

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Phil, put in some effort and stand toeing the front service line. 6ft 2 is HUGE. Those drives will be easier when taken a foot earlier. Also, make sure your forward lunge (on either leg) is very positive (aggressive), rather than "comfortable".

Make sure you mix up your mid court pushes with drives to the back corners (same shot but hit harder), drives straight at your opponent, and a full variety of net shots (just rotate the racket face at contact to change that push into an acute angle net shot). Better yet, come on Pauls next coaching weekend!

3. Yuzo64

Yuzo64 Regular Member

Agreed with Mseeley, the best way to be effective is to have a good variety of shot so that your opponent never knows what you're about to do.

Returning it straight at the opponent is quite a nice shot to have, easy but effective when you use it scarcely.

I'd also have to add that, if you're playing Men's Doubles, net shots should be your first concern.
    You're tall, so you should have the time to play a very good netshot above net height and gain the attack immediately. Don't worry about the front player : if you hide your shot long enough (making him think you're gonna push or drive), he will be forced to lift, or at worst play a push.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I do mix things up althou I need to do it more often but I really want to work on the deceptive and harder returns of serve

For example the 1 I can do now but I want to be better at it.

Am recieving serve from left court. Short serve to the t, I come in, make it seem like am playing to my left but twist racket at last second to hit shuttle to my right (their backhand side) which catches them of guard!!

Any tips on this shot. I struggle to make it flat at times. I feel I hit it too softly or to late. Of course its it hit too late, its impossible to play!

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Was about to suggest to you, from the right hand side half court, fake a pus-to-body shot, and last minute rotate your racket face with fingers to actually place it to the right tram line. Looks like you're looking for the left-hand side trick. This could be more difficult, as your shot now has to pass the front player.