How to improve when playing bad players?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ambushes, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

Well, I started getting serious coaching last year at some group lessons at a club.After a year, I've improved pretty damn fast and everyone else simply can't compare. So what can I do that will help me improve?Seriously, hardly any of them can keep up. I've tried not smashing (past few months) but all it does is make my smash gradually worse.

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    try to find a new club with better player in it..
    even thought it might be farther than your normal club, but if you want to improve, then it is the only way

3. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

Yes, I have considered this already. The problem is I already registered for one 'term.'I'm basically stuck here for 2 more months.

4. yosi11

yosi11 Regular Member

Student
    Don't go there play with your friends that better than you :p

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    feed directly to them and work on defense.
    play kings court and work on endurance.
    play entire games doing only drop shots (treat it like a drill). Then next game only clears, then only drives.

the hardest one is playing an entire game without letting the bird get within 2ft of the ground (unless it's out). It'll really test your footwork, speed, court positioning, and shot selection.

I spend the majority of time these days playing with lesser skilled players... be creative and find new ways of challenging and pushing yourself.

6. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

One thing you can do is train your trickery. Almost everything can be faked; Shot selection, placement, service, etc. For most people faking shots aren't natural and they need to think about it. Train it so it becomes natural. After that, train to fake your fakes. I think all professional players are experts at faking their shots.

7. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    there are so many things you can do when you are faced with this situation. In many respects this is your greatest opportunity for improvement.

So here's what you can do. Each time you're at club pick one small aspect of your game to work on e.g. return serve and try to place your shots low into mid court or, place them directly down the centre at your opponent.

You can do the same thing in terms of defence, moving and hitting around the head and so on. So, break down your game and create a priority list. Work on your highest priority first.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If you have a coach, suggest to do more 2 vs. 1 training, or more individual feeding sessions.. Much better than playing easy opposition. Another tip is to If they are weak suggest more modules, and training instead of matches, that will help you improve more. Then attend tournaments to hone your skills.

my 2c.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Don't finish the rally. In doubles, keep setting up your partner offensively. Placement shots only instead of smashing. Since you're stuck for 2 more months,make the best out of it and run them around. In singles, just play for the rally. Now that you have improved your skills, you need to improve your mind.

10. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

beside smashing

i am sure there r many other things u can improve on.

talk to yr coach, he knows what 's next best for u