Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

so my gf has a mild case of ADD. It doesn't disrupt her normal working or studying, it's just she needs to put an extra effort into doing stuff and stay focused. Now that she's getting interested in badminton, she tells me that one problem during a match is that she gets bored between and during points. She tells me between rallies her mind will wonder about other things, totally badminton unrelated; and even during points, like her partner could be running around and she would think about some other stuff lol.

is there any way to train her to focus a bit more? or something to keep her interest high? when we play mixed, the 1st 10 or 12 points she can play really well, but then once she looses that interest, her game just drops.

Thanks.

2. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I found deep breathing (belly breathing) improves my focus and keeps mind relaxed.

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    stop making her play slow and boring games.
    my friend has ADD and he doesn't wanna stop when he's being challenged. But if you stick him with beginners, he will zone out by the third point.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    A boy I know has ADHD... and I persuaded his parents to enroll him in a regular badminton class conducted by a very respected coach.

Initially, things went exceedingly well.
    The warm-up routines kept him physically active and reduced his hyper-activity levels.
    And the learning routines were interesting enough to keep him mentally occupied.

The hitch was that the boy wanted to 'play the game' rightaway although he was still learning how to wield the racquet.
    Learning the routines wasn't challenging enough for him.

Pretty soon, it got out of hand... and he proceeded to whack a few other boys on the head :(

Of course, the coach threw him out.

In your gf's case, one method would be to get her to be the game's score-keeper.
    Keeping score doesn't require mental calisthenics but it's dynamic enough (especially in doubles) to keep her interest pegged to the game until it ends.

Good luck :)

#4 Oldhand, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I get bored a lot quicker during counting then when I play myself. Obviously it depends a bit who is playing. Counting while some profesional players are playing is a lot more fun.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Just make sure she takes her Adderall or Ritalin and she'll be fine... ;)

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    ask her how long she thinks to play the game, until the end of college/school, this season only, or longer than 5 years and then tell her she has already put so much effort into it (find examples to support the claim) and obviously the effort has payed in the first 11 points of every game, it's time to take the next step and challenge oneself to play to finish and win. by that she is going to improve pretty quickly on her skills ... then find better opponents who play faster, counterintuitive strokes ... (if your opponents always shoot long and diagonal after receiving a low serve on their backhand .... obviously they're bad players, I would be bored too)

8. alexh

alexh Regular Member

First of all, be clear about which problem you're trying to solve: is this for her benefit, or for yours? Is she enjoying her badminton? Is she frustrated that she loses concentration, or is she OK with it? Did she bring up the topic herself, or was it you (or someone else) that asked what was going through her mind?

Perhaps you need to be realistic here. Expect that her concentration will drop around the middle of the game, give her permission to play badly for, say, three to five points, then plan for her to regroup and concentrate hard again for the last part of the game. That is, if her goal really is to play well and try and win the game. She might have different goals...

9. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Hi there. This sounds a little like me when i was a youngster. I the thing about adhd is that kids will often need a helping hand to find something which they really enjoy and brings them pleasure.

How was the racket of the kid so many years back? Was it good and were the strings tight?

I played badminton yesterday and a new player said to me that there is just something so extremely satisfying in ”hitting that ball”. When I was a kid, not only did I have a bad racket, but also video games which were a thousand times more fun and engaging.

I wish my coach would have taught me how to love - Not only the sound of smashing my shuttle with aerosonics but also how to move like a cat and how to get into that zone when you feel safe and in control.

Badminton practice once a week does not cut it, it needs to come from friends and the individual as well.

ADHD is not so complex after all :D

10. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Losing focus with ADD is often a sign of information overload. This is often the case when you learn new stuff, on the other hand AD(H)D people often develop a hyperfocus for certain things. You can't really control the hyperfocus, but you can try to reduce the amount of information. When she is quite new to the sport, this is a challenge, especially when she need to learn a lot about the sport.

Some ideas to reduce the information overload:
    - Don't try to teach her during a match or discuss things with her, just let her play it they way she likes. Afterwards you can try to discuss about the match.
    - Remove counting points, either do it for her or think about some gadgets (I own a garmin watch with a badminton score app, releasing my brain from counting).
    - Try to reduce the amount of learning by picking simpler rotation system , maybe only play simple double system instead of a mix system.
    - At 11 points, or after finishing a match, take a longer break, let her relax and take in the information of the last match, don't add more information.