The right spot on holding your racket grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by frictionman, Aug 12, 2003.

1. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    Just curious where is the right spot when you hold your racket grip, is it near or at the cone or near or at the bottom of the grip? what are it's advantages and disadvanteges?

2. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

most players i know (including me) use both. Hold near the the bottom for overhead shots, for a better angle, and for smash more power. And hold it high near the cone when im up doing drives or net shots, because its much quicker if the length you must move is shorter

3. badmad

badmad Regular Member

4. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    It's pretty much a mix of both. When you start as a beginner, you should hold it at the end towards the butt of the racquet. That's because beginners don't move as much and they need the extra reach to make up for their speed.

As you improve, you might find a favorite place to hold the racquet, especially since holding the racquet closer to the cone since it gives you better control and a faster swing.

But in the end, it's all about preference and you should be able to move your hand according to your situation. So there really is no right spot. If there was a right spot, they wouldn't make the handle so long. :)

5. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    sound logical... thx...

i usually hold it near the butt for extra reach and extra power for smashes.
    i'll try to hold it nearer the cone for defence, although my defence is also good i'm not
    satisfied with it.

6. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    My coach makes me think of it like this: as you get closer to the net, your hand goes closer to the "cone." And if you're in the back, it goes towards the butt.

But of course, it's often hard to constantly be thinking this during the game. But I'm still practicing :)

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Quite true, really. Just look at Candra-Sigit, they hold the racquet practically on the cone itself! At the back, they hold it further.

You are so right. :)

8. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Yes... Spclly when you change positions with your partner several times during rally...
    And I can't imagine how to do this in singles - it's always forward-backward action with no time to think of the grip... :D

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Well, usually in singles, I keep a normal grip (for me, this would be near the butt of the handle - middle of the handle)...doubles i usually do the same (for the overhead shots) which when i rush to the net/drives, i hold it near the cone.