Coach Lee Jae Bok intial jump step - really necessary?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ronnieman, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ronnieman

ronnieman Regular Member

I have a lot of respect for coach Lee Jae Bok and I generally like his training videos.

I have been wondering if his technique for footwork is considered the preferred way of moving around. His idea of the intial jump step before actually moving to the desired location seems somewhat unique to his traing approach.

What do you guys think?

2. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

The initial jump step (aka split step) is quite pronounced in his demonstration videos. In practice I have not seen anyone make so obvious a hop. The whole point of it is to preload your muscles in anticipation of moving. You can just drop a bit or split your stance and it accomplishes what the coaches are teaching. Watch any of the pro videos, they split step all the time. It's much more subtle than in coach Lee's videos. In coaching many of the actions are over pronounced to enforce the idea. Kinda like learning to drive. Hands 10 and 2, check mirrors every 3 seconds, etc.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The initial preloading step, normally called a split step or a split drop (or preload jump), which lee refers to as "step one" is essential to good badminton footwork. Every top professional generally uses this to initiate their movement to any shot. There are exceptions (notably after smashing, when you chose to run to the net) and sometimes you can get away with not doing it.

I would say there is nothing unique behind this initial step, but as pointed out by yeeah, coach Lee likes his students to be very pronounced in this motion (more so than many top players seem to).

4. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

I like to think of it as exaggerating for demonstration purposes.
    For example, when learning a new language, your language teacher will slow down the word and emphasize certain syllables for you to grasp the key parts of the word. In normal speech, you wouldn't hear your teacher speaking the same way.
    Same thing, the split step isn't supposed to be such a big motion in normal play.

But the split step is super important, especially in singles.
    Some quick (lazy) players can get away without it in doubles.

5. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    it has been exaggerated as b.leung correctly pointed out. Most good , advanced players would grasp the technique without realizing they are performing this step , they do this unconsciously. The video is just to demonstrate to club players or other beginners that have no knowledge of this step and showing them the correct way to move around the court .

''Some quick (lazy) players can get away without it in doubles.'' You cant be quick on the court without performing this step , unless you think you are , lol !!

6. event

event Regular Member

The other purpose of this hop, as I see it, is to simulate the return from a corner of the court. In other words, Lee has you do this to initiate a footwork pattern when you are being fed shuttles by the coach. However, if you practice a combination of footwork patterns, or if you move about the court in a real match, you normally return to a base position landing on two feet in the same manner. When my coach, who was trained by Lee Jae Bok, had us doing a combination of footwork patterns in a drill, the return from one corner ended in a landing on both feet in the centre, then that landing became step one of the next pattern. By emphasizing this initial hop, as the previous posters pointed out, you never practice any footwork pattern as starting from a lazy standstill.

7. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

Necessary? Absolutely. It's a must learn to play seriously. IMO, it's as important as playing with your own racket.

Cheers
    --Hugh

8. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

if you're good at predicting where the next shot is you can get away without doing the split step... but this is not good at all... haha

9. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Yes , the split step is but not the exaggerated ''jump'' step as shown in the video ....... split step enable you to get to the shuttle earlier and easier to change direction, is a ''must'' for all players ....if all badminton players can master this step before holding a racket than they will be a very decent player in the future

10. Sander1337

Sander1337 New Member

If you can predict where the next shot will come you are playing 3 levels under your own. If you play on your own level you will defenitly need the split step. If you want to learn this you can best look at younger national players from any country; they have not that much experience with the split step so you can very obviously see it. Players like Lin Dan are able to time the splitstep to a later moment because of their speed, making them less vulnerable for (don't know the engelish word, but i suppose it's) feints...

For an example you can check this guy, Edwin Ekiring... He has impressive footwork in my opinion: (he's the black guy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXdgH0Ac-lg

11. longan_defense

longan_defense Regular Member

professional
    Split step or step one keeps you as a player honest. Most of the time, if you are playing a good player, you won't know where the shuttle is going. The step one is a ready position and gives you a spring and an anticipation of the shot. Some people will think they're quick without the one step, but that just means they are cheating by moving before the shot.

You can do this with weaker players that telegraph their shots but if you're playing a good player, and you pull that stunt, he/she will just hit the shuttle in the opposite direction you're are headed. Some people call this deception.

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    "Split", dont "jump"!

It has become to much a hype with all this jumping...

13. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    split step is used in badminton and in tennis too

split step, to put it simple helps you to reduce time for your muscle to react
    when your feet on the ground completely, you need to lift your feet completely before moving

while on split step, your feet is in half lifted condition. this would help you to anticipate the next shot

why called split step? because this step will make your split second faster than your normal stance
    you might think it is not much, but when you against better player, with better shot, better accuracy and can hit very hard, usually those split second would save you

#13 Avenger, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  14. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

That guy is good!:cool:

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'm sure he thanks you for your comment after two years...

16. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

haha. Din't actually realise it was such an old thread til after I posted:eek:

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I just realise that Zhao YL does the initial jump step quite often.

Han Li also does it. But LXR does not.

#17 pcll99, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I am not sure which player you mean by LXR... I presume you mean Li Xuerui? If so, I am not sure what you are talking about. LXR does the "initial jump step" every single movement (as does every other professional player). Can you provide a video of where someone professional is not doing it? I would be interested to take a look.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes, I meant Li Xuerui.

What I meant was the "pronouncement" of the jump or hop.

For Zhao YL and Han Li, their initial jumps or hops are quite pronounced. LXR's are not so pronounced, such that I would not call it a jump or hop.

Is it better to call it "heels off the ground" or simply "pre-loading"?

20. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I understand what you mean - to say it doesn't happen though is misleading.

There are many different terms for the step:
    Pre-load jump
    Split step
    Split drop
    Split

to name a few.

My personal favourite is split step as its used in many other sports. Split drop is a good one because it implies the physical movement needed - a widening of the foot stance and a lowering of the body as you bend your knees. Calling it something like heels off the ground isn't necessarily appropriate, as the whole foot does come off the ground. Pre-load is a good name for it though.

Personally still think "split" or some variant is best.