How to do a hard backhand smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ttktom, Aug 25, 2003.

1. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

i can do 1 sort of but it's a bit weak my forehand smash is great but i can do the backhand clear for one end to the other. but my back hand smash is a bit weak i either miss hit it or hit it too softly.

does any1 have any tips on how to do then

thank you :)

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

it all comes with correct technique. However you may want to build up some of the muscles that are used when doing a correct backhand.

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Height of the racquet - always try to hit the backhand smash as high as you can. If you are in good position, you can backhand smash with less wrist strength. The further behind you take the smash, you need greater wrist strength and flexibility. Also if you take a backhand smash behind you, you should also change your grip to a thumb and index finger hold.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    so a backhand smash is just all wrist? Pretty much everytime I try this, I usually end up with a backhand drive instead and just can't seem to get the angle down.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    If you use the supination method to generate your backhand, you have to make sure you are in proper position, since this method relies on the holding the racquet at roughly 90 degrees to the forearm. This method, although generates lots of power, can limit your motion, and your angle of attack, making it flatter - more of a drive as you mention.

The higher you take your smash from a backhand perspective, you need some way to increase the angle of steepness. If you only use your forearm, your wrist will be locked so you need to hit the backhand smash at least parallel to your body or forward.
    The further back the shuttle is hit behind you, you need to compensate some way to achieve the angle, which means more wrist and even a different grip on the racquet.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, most important thing is to get behind the birdie in time... just like a forehand smash. To change angle of smash, try taking the birdie more forward and lower in front of you. To affect angle of placement, adjust your position so that the closer the hit zone is to your face horizontally the wider your smash will be. Experiment with it, but you must take the birdie in front and as high as your racquet swing can reach. Good footwork is essential in all aspect of the game but it's especially important if you're to make BH smash a regular skill in your repertoire.

Also, note that generally a backhand smash will not be as powerful as a forehand smash. Backhand smash only when the return is half court, otherwise backhand clear or do over the shoulder smash. BH smash is good for netshot kills and snap shots at defensive gaps, but it won't likely overpower decent opposition.

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

my coach told me that when you do a backhand shot (smash, whatever, etc), in order to get ready for the shot, you have to already know you're going to do the backhand and when you prepare for the shot, you have to have your back facing the birdie when you make it. If you're late, the shot won't be as good because your timing will be out..having your back facing the bird will maximize your ability to get the full backhand extension if you do it correctly.

Doing that plus getting behind the bird is critical for any backhand shot..not just the backhand smash...like others have mentioned, if you're late, you'll have to add other components like more wrist, etc.

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    thanks for the advices, I'll give it a try next chance I get. I think my problem is taking the shuttle too high and actually a little behind me and therefore I cannot get a good angle. To compensate for my weak backhand ability, I've actually develop the over-the head method quite well and have been using that for majority of my backhand shots. Still would be nice to hit a decent backhand every once in a while though. :D

9. 9Cdn553Woba

9Cdn553Woba Regular Member

Computers
    Keep in mind that for most of us, no matter how good of a backhand you have, an over the head (aka around the head, aka wrap) is a much better shot choice. And dispite appearances, the over the head wrap shot allows for a lot of different angles. Just watch some singles sometime and look at how often the players are able to avoid a potentially weak backhand by wrapping. Of course, there will come a time when you need to hit a backhand....

If your having trouble generating a powerful backhand smash but are able to consitantly hit a backhand clear, you might just be trying too hard. Relax, keep your body flexible. People tend to tighten up when they are trying really hard to hit a shot, and all your doing is making it tougher on yourself.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    backhand smash, make sure you use plenty of wrist and fingers. the backhand stroke has more constraints and the muscles are weaker than the corresponding forehand ones. so it will take a long time to build up those muscles.

the rest is just practice and try to get the correct timing.