Backhand serve in singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Joseph, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I've been seeing a lot of this in some men's singles games I watched. So is there any advantage in doing a backhand serve in singles? How should one return such a serve? Net drop? Clear/drive to backhand corner? Do you ever do this?

2. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    i serve lke that when i play single, and for some of my opponent it confuse them. For me the chance of me going on the attack is higher, then a high serve. I found that i have more flexibility in my game with a short serve, which can unexpectedly turn into a high serve.

to me this is the best method, however others will disagreee, and that what they say is also sound.

3. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Advantage being that if you are reasonable strong and fast that you are on the attack rather than defending.

That is a high serve invites attacking opportunities such as drop, smash, attacking clear. While short serve means the opponent can only net or lift either flick or deep.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The backhand serve in singles is used primarily as a low serve with the occasional flick to the back to discourage the opponent from rushing at your service. The low serve has come into vogue in the modern singles game as players are now fitter and faster and the singles game has become very fast and furious.
    An ex-world champion says the low service is used for:
    1. When you want to attack
    2. Use it when your opponent is strong in attack and your defence is weak
    3. Use it when the shuttle is fast.
    4. Use it when you play with the wind behind you so that your smashes will be more effective
    If you are an attacking player, return a low serve with a tight net tumble to force a high return, hopefully short, so you can initiate an attack.

5. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    some international games i saw, some singles players delberately use the backhand serve. Its good to mix things up.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe you are referring to the backhand low serve, which has now become the standard serve in international tournaments. You can also use the backhand flick, as distinct from the backhand low serve. High serves using the forehand are now only used selectively for strategic reasons, i.e. to try to stop a losing streak. These comments apply only to international tournaments. For amateurs and mediocre players like us, a deep high serve is still preferred, simply because not many players at our level can return a high serve to the 4 corners (front and back) with enough speed and deception using clears, smashes, chops, drops.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What I would use a low backhand serve for is to make the opponent play the shuttle flatter. If the opponent plays to the back of the court, the natural shot is a flatter clear with pace on it. I like these returns.

If the opponent plays to the net, more difficult to play tighter net shots (in certain situations).

I also found that if I play two low serves which the opponent has played to the rear court, the next low serve I do, then they play to the net. So I anticipate this shot.:)

Of course, an opponent may be quite strong at returning low serves. i.e. play very good returns. If this is the case, then I try high serves. It's a case of being adaptable and observing the opponent.

Each opponent will have different strengths and weaknesses - it's for you, as the player, to work them out!:p

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I think I'll try this once in a while. Ooo...it seems like this thread has had lots of views. Maybe my threads are worth looking at.