Badminton and squash?!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by HuichenAero, Sep 23, 2013.

1. HuichenAero

HuichenAero New Member

Student
    I am a medium level badminton player, progressing towards advanced level. Today I tried out squash, which was my first time to play. I found it quite different from badminton. I have heard that badminton player cannot play tennis, otherwise his badminton skills will be affected. Is it the same for badminton and squash? Will playing squash undermine my badminton skills?

2. Genghis

Genghis Regular Member

It will depend on how far you want to advance in the two sports. I play both badminton and squash. I also play tennis but at a very basic level. There are differences between the badminton and squash but there are enough similarities that you can play both to at least to an intermediate level. Beyond that, the differences between the two will begin to affect your muscle memory and you will have lapses of incorrect footwork, stroke, etc. that will make it difficult for you to play both at an advanced level.

If you are playing badminton at an intermediate level and are serious about playing at an advanced level (ie. club level/tournaments, etc) then you will need to consciously play squash with some incorrect strokes, footwork, etc. in order for it not to affect your badminton game.

Playing both at an advanced/club level with all correct strokes/footwork is difficult to do but definitely much easier that playing between badminton and tennis.

3. *___*

*___* Regular Member

I play squash occasionally (not very well)

It shouldn't really affect your game as you never hit any over head shots to interfere with your technique. The only time i get squash mixed with badminton is sometimes playing a drive/ flat backhand down the line.

It's also a great cv workout.

You should be fine.

4. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I used to play squash regularly before I took up badminton. As I got better at badminton I find that playing squash hurts my wrist esp the backhand stroke.

I reckon I was getting used to flexy wrist for badminton and when playing squash strokes which requires rather firm wrist, I was over extending/flexing my wrist which caused the pain.

I stopped playing squash altogether now apart from some very casual game.