Clearing how long can you do it for?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by catman, Dec 17, 2013.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

I was hitting some clears with a friend and I got completely tired after about 3 minutes. I am not completely out of shape but not in great shape either.

How long would someone in average shape and perfect technique keeping clearing for before getting completely winded?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haven't done it in years. but in the old days, i once warmed up with a friend for 20 mins of clear. one single rally.

3. catman

catman Regular Member

Wow... 20mins, One rally, I found my self struggling after 3 mins - maybe would have lasted 5 mins max. So perhaps my technique needs improvement.

4. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

I think you can do hours if you combine with other shots.To practice with?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    3 mins is very little. even if you do the proper full body rotation, it is not that much of a workout.

i suggest working on your stamina, go out and do some running. start off with around 20-30mins of slow pace run. that will help your stamina by a lot after a few months.

6. SmashAndDash

SmashAndDash Regular Member

When I used to train, my old coach had us do 1v2 full court clearing after warm-ups. When the single player missed 10 birds, s/he would roate out until everyone finished.

I think I could keep a single rally going maybe ~3-5 minutes, though it was more of a movement issue than the actual stroke.

If you are just hitting clears halfcourt, you should be able to last more than 3 minutes if you have good form. How are you getting tired? Are you getting tired in the sense that clearing is too much cardio for you (you're breathing hard, but your arm/other muscles are fine), or is it that your arm is tired?

If it's the first example, follow kwun's advice and do some easy, long jogs for stamina.

If it's the second example, it's most likely your technique. With good technique, casual clearing is near effortless (if both parties are doing defensive clears, if you're both punch clearing, that might be a bit harder). You shouldn't be forcing the shot to happen; if you use too much "muscle" to power through a shot, you'll get tired quicker and be more likely to injure yourself.

7. catman

catman Regular Member

Ok, I am not familiar the various clears. The clears I was attempting were from back court to back court - full length.

Yes, cardio was the problem breathing hard and out of breath. Muscle wise I think I was ok - not sure I was breathing so hard thinking - I must be doing something wrong! Will pay more attention next time. It was just practice mode - so very little movement.

8. SmashAndDash

SmashAndDash Regular Member

By punch clear (I think I've heard it called an attacking clear), I mean a clear that's flatter and faster. A defensive clear has a bit more of a rainbow shape.

A punch clear requires a little more effort for me because I like 'em really...punch-y. Very fast/snappy, if I had to describe it.

Defensive clears are more relaxed for me. Maybe it actually requires more effort if you want to hit a really high clear, but the clear itself travels slower so, not as much effort put into it.

Definitely follow kwuns advice. Also, pay attention to your breathing. I notice some people hold their breath when they try to "force" a clear. (Similar to weightlifts who (mistakenly) hold their breath when trying to lift a heavy load. Funny story: My personal trainer told me his mentor learned to not hold his breath the hard way: he pooped his pants while lifting!)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are many way to do clear. most players can do baseline to baseline clear without much effort, by that i mean standing there, and not have to do full body rotation. that takes very little energy. however, for the diligent ones, they might attempt to do full body rotation clears, or maybe some mix of footwork in it as well, that would take more of a toll on the cardio system.

10. catman

catman Regular Member

I was doing defensive clears

Thanks - Yes, what I was doing were defensive clears - high and long. Very interesting, I might have been holding breath. Very good point - I remember thinking this wasn't feeling very smooth - kept thinking, it was too forced.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    post a video. it will be easier to analyze.

12. catman

catman Regular Member

I only know how to do the full body rotation clears. I'll have to go to a real badminton club and see how people do stuff - I don't think I have the strength to hit from baseline - baseline without using legs and body rotation.
    I'll try to take a video and post for comments.

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

if you have a good technique and just stand there and do clears, you can do that until you fall asleep...

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If just standing near the baseline doing clears, I don't think I've ever stopped because I'm tired but more because I was bored - after about circa 10mins or so. The only time I've been tired is when I'm warming up and I don't stand still and keep returning to the base after every clear - probably after 5-10mins continuous clearing and returning to base. Great workout for the quads.

Clearing is very easy once you have mastered the correct technique. It actually feels and looks effortless. Most of the effort is in the footwork and getting yourself behind the shuttle - unless you're simply standing at the baseline waiting for it.

15. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    A good exercise for clears is the line touch clear. What you do is that you begin by touching the forward service line go backwards and make a clear then repeat.
    In my club, we do this for 6 straight minutes with a small break afterwards and then another go for 6 minutes.

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes, this is similar to how I warm up although I don't touch the service line, I get close to it and also alternate forehand and backhand baseline-baseline clears at a ratio of about 1:5.

Really good warm up exercise and great for the thigh/quad muscles.

17. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    haha, if I do that for 6 mins, I am ready to fold and call it a night... this is for the youngs...

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    service line is quite far out. let me try that and see how i do. :)

19. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Are you sure you are using the proper techniques (arm rotation , loose grip, relaxed body and mind, raquet sqare to the shuttle direction)? I was using wrong techniques earlier and used to get tired after a few clearns. After correcting my technique I can clear even cross court with a little effort.

20. catman

catman Regular Member

Yeah, I'm beginning to think my technique night not be ideal. I think I am muscling the shuttle over - I am getting the length and height - but with a lot of effort.

I'll try and take video and see exactly what I'm doing. Good to know, you experienced the same problem and was able to correct it.