Jump Smash Advice

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Optimal, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    Could a few of the more experienced players please give me some advise for the jump smash shot.

My situation is:

I hold a good firm standing smash, good technique, quite accurate and consistent.

The last few months Ive been adding the jump smash into my game, I think its due to playing with other players doing this and watching games online. The problem is I feel I'm not getting the same power as a standing smash it's also less consistent. On the other hand I've been using it as a deception shot, jumping going in hard on the shuttle and then slicing the shuttle to a drop shot quite often catching opponents out.

Pros,
    Deception.
    I'm supposing its the correct movement/ technique.
    Looks good : )

Cons,
    Less consistent.
    Less power.

I suppose practice makes perfect, the more I do it the more natural it will feel but I don't really want to be messing about with something I should leave to the pros.

Advice appreciated, also tips on developing the correct technique.

#1 Optimal, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. myic90

myic90 Regular Member

student
    sounds like you're not transferring the power of the jump into the smash. Could be:

1. incorrect form
    2. a weak core/trunk

hard to say without looking at a video of your jump smash. Do try to post it in here so we can have a look.

Also check out Peter Rasmussen's jump smash tutorial on youtube, he's a decent guide about it. If the issue is the timing of the jump, try a little jump at first and slowly build it up.

- Good luck

3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I think its through training and also jump smash at the right timing . You must be in front of the shutter all the time !

4. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Yes.. Dont Do it. Chen long, world number 2.. RARELY jump smashes, and still hits 250km+ smashes... all be it hes 6 foot 4 which helps with angle.. but seriously, in my opinion its a heavily overrated shot. Men On a less then proper professional level we play like womens singles/doubles... do they jump smash? no. Could they kick your arse? Yes. Altho if ur really that keen on it... you need incredible fitness to be able to lift your body off at a suitable height, without any strain (so u can keep steady) and then recover quickly.. not to mention technqiue and timing...

5. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Bro : Well said..World class ladies doubles and mix dont do jump smash . But their technique in timing of smash and movement is great.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Jump smash may look spectacular but the negative aspect of jump smash is lost/extended time for recovery for the next shot. Your feet needs more time to get land on the ground. The positive aspect is STEEPER angle of smash due to increased height of impact.

7. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Practice makes perfect but jump smashing is physically demanding so strengthening your core and legs and increasing fitness will help a lot.

8. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

Contrary to this reply, the shuttler needs to get behind the shuttle to execute the stroke.

9. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    depends on your age, and the mileage on your knee, it may be fun during the smashes.... but you may be in agony the next few days. But why not, we won't be here forever.....lol.

10. catman

catman Regular Member

I can see getting better angle - but do you really get more power with jump smashes?

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Of course! But only if there's proper weight transfer into the shuttle at strike.

12. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Trying having someone feed you a half court lift, and you come running from the baseline and "jump into it" smashing (make sure you angle your body while taking off). Let us know it is one your most powerful smash you have ever experienced!

Don't worry about the height at this point - experience the forward momentum into the smash. Please don't smash at your friend who is setting it up for you - lol.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is not entirely true.

One of the common mistakes with jump smashes is to smash at the peak or ascent of your jump. This results in lost time in recovery. A good jump smash should be at the point just past the peak, on the descent of your jump. This actually helps with recovery time as your landing preloads your muscles as you would with the split step.

The jump smash not only gives you height and angle for the smash, it can, if done properly give you more power. This comes from effective pre-tensioning of your trunk. When smashing with your feet on the ground, you are able to twist your trunk and uncoil it to release the power into the stroke. But it is difficult to effectively utilise your lower abdominal muscles vertically for extra power.

You may notice that pros would kick back their feet when airborne. There are several reasons for this. One of which is it loads/stretches the lower abdominal muscles to help generate a little more power and also helps with stability and the hanging effect.

My advice would be not to be caught up in how good it looks to the spectators. Form over function is not good here. Start with very small jumps, a few inches off the ground should be fine to get used to striking the shuttle without your feet planted.

Timing of the jump is vital. Try not to compensate for poor timing by reaching out more or lowering your arm during the stroke. Your arm should be the same as though it was a normal smash. To get used to timing the jump and stroke, try starting with not following through fully.

As with all strokes, it is important to get behind the shuttle first and the jump smash is no exception. If you struggle to get behind the shuttle normally, I wouldn’t consider learning to jump yet. In most intermediate – advance level badminton you should find that a good grounded smash will be effective enough.

Although a jump smash may generate more power, if you’re not accurate with the smash, you will not see much benefit in doing it.

The jump smash also uses a lot of your energy, and if not done correctly you could injure yourself quite easily, particularly your knees – as I did in my younger days.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Yep. In jump smash, the bird is taken in exact the same height, distance, and angle relative to the player as in a regular grounded smash. The only difference is that it's 2 ft higher off the ground.

And for it to be powerful, you must transfer your body wt into the shuttle at strike by:
    1. hitting the bird while you're falling from the peak of the jump
    2. leaning into the bird at strike
    3. twisting your body and core muscles into the bird at strike.

If you don't do all these three things, then don't bother with the jump smash. ;)

15. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Good n important points of explanation of a good jumpsmash.
    However, which part of my statements IS NOT true? The part that the smasher has less recovery time or the steeper angle of smash?:confused:

16. visor

visor Regular Member

It wasn't me. But I agree with you.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks, I hope it helps someone.

Yes I was referring to the less recovery time but I wasn't saying it is not true. Just not always true.

If the jump smash was done incorrectly, e.g on the ascent, then yes I agree with you. As you may still be ascending after you've hit the shuttle and so will take a lot longer to recover. But a good jump smash as I described above shouldn't really slow you down particularly if you're jumping into the shot.
    Another thing to note is that the jump need not be 3ft in the air like a young FHF - who are able to recover quickly enough to compensate but can be just a very small leap.

18. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    try to make drop shot at the net first then when got high lifting back try to jump smash...simple tactics..or try make drop shot first then jump cross smash...

19. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

If the jump during a smash is not sufficiently high (ie < a foot) and both feet are not folded behind on the air, that is not really a good jump smash. This is a good j-smash by JJS;

GH6I6337-Swiss06_resized.jpg

Then, practically ALL our smashes are jump smashes. Both of our feet are always off the ground when we smash. I believe the OP is referring to the type of jump smash shown by JJS above. It is impossible to have same time recovery when u jump smash like that. Your feet are definitely > a foot high above the ground.

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Again, this is what I don't agree with. A jump smash is not defined by reaching above a certain height. Just as a smash is not defined by hitting above certain speed.

You could have elevated only a few inches or a few feet above the ground to play the shot but the shot is still a jump smash. What a lot of people get hooked up on is the height of jump smashes because it looks impressive - particularly when the legs are folded back, which makes it look higher than it is. They also think that jump smashes are only used to achieve a steeper angle. But it is not always about height. In MS for example, your average jump smash will not achieve the heights you often see in MD and MS players certainly cannot afford to lose any recovery time. Sometimes a jump smash is used for distance and making up ground quickly rather than height.

Of course, if you perform a jump smash to achieve decent height like in the photo you have shown, then obviously it will take a fraction longer to recover. I am not disputing that.

Yes and no. Yes in that most "grounded" smashes involve throwing your body weight into the stroke by stepping/jumping into it - which usually results in some air between the ground and your feet. But this is simply a result of your lower body rotating - just as sprinters would have both feet off the ground frequently as they run. Whether you wish to call that jumping is entirely up to you.

But with jump smashes, as I mentioned before. One of the reasons (or difference if you like) is that when you kick back your legs you are stretching the non-racquet side of your lower abdomin and front thigh muscles even more to enhance power and stability. However depending on the circumstances, you need not jump very high or kick back your legs very much - in fact a lot of professionals don't.