User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 35 to 41 of 41
  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also notice that FHF doesn't seem to smash as hard as he used to. He only hits into the 260km/hr range these days.

    I think this is smart, its enough to win points and he wants to prolong his career into 2016. He seems to be more relaxed and at ease. Not straining himself to put more power into his smash.

  2. #36
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okooko View Post
    CY/FHF's pairing worked well with FHF being a the hammer from the back of the court and CY dominating the rest.
    ZN's pairing needs some work with FHF coz they play differently together due to various skills and it seems like FHF is improving his non-smashing plays.
    I think ZN should try to replace CY's role coz FHF is good where he was and was winning while he was there.
    If you look carefully, youll see that FHF started these improvements a long time ago. My guess is that he just feels more comfortable going to the net with ZN, whereas with CY he feels the need to go to the back as soon as he gets a chance.
    I also dont think the pairing would work with that 'classic' approach alone, the service situation and flat game are too important these days. I think playing primarily with Fu at the front, but being very interchangeable in their positions is the way to go for them.

  3. #37
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,471
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    Zhang Nan's approach to net play is surely very different. He almost never lifts and likes to play hairpin shots or pushes. But 1 thing i would like to see him change is that he is a bit TOO eager at times to get to the net. That makes FHF do almost all of the hard smashing work.

    Zhang Nan should feel comfortable to do some smashing as well. After all, he does all the smashing in his XD. He seems intimidated to smash in the MD.
    Most likely because he has to conserve his energy for his XD games with ZYL...

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    canada,vancouver
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Most likely because he has to conserve his energy for his XD games with ZYL...
    I've always thought that the concept of pro athletes getting tired after one match a bit iffy. On a typical day, the chinese athletes do a morning session for skills, afternoon session with matches, and then some no racket physical training (just from watching some youtube videos of their interviews). Sure they play fast in a match, but i'm sure they train just as hard as they play a match, or at least at a relatively fast pace. Do they really have to conserve energy in a MD match just to play well in XD? Also, regarding physicality, men are typically (and to quote daft punk) "harder better faster stronger". I honestly don't think athletes of their caliber need to save any juice for their second match of the day. If ZYL can consistently play 2 matches a day and still win both, why can't ZN? Sure the guy works harder, but even LYD, KSH and a wealth of korean men's doubles players have proven they can work in two disciplines and be world+olympic champs. Some would also say that doubles is a lot faster than singles, but you also get two players cover a full court, whilst singles players cover a full court by themselves.

    Just a thought to ponder upon, and it'd be interesting to hear other people's opinions on this.

  5. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well I think that Zhang Nan probably doesn't expend that much energy in his matches. He doesn't rely on a huge smash to win points. If you watch Xu Chen, sometimes he looks totally exhausted after just 2 sets in XD where he does almost all the hard work smashing from the baseline.

    My best guess is that ZN/FHF pulled out so that ZN can mentally and tactically prepare against natsir/ahmad. They lost pretty badly the last time, so CBA may be worried about the state of their top XD pair.

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,917
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0ozafo0 View Post
    I've always thought that the concept of pro athletes getting tired after one match a bit iffy. On a typical day, the chinese athletes do a morning session for skills, afternoon session with matches, and then some no racket physical training (just from watching some youtube videos of their interviews). Sure they play fast in a match, but i'm sure they train just as hard as they play a match, or at least at a relatively fast pace. Do they really have to conserve energy in a MD match just to play well in XD? Also, regarding physicality, men are typically (and to quote daft punk) "harder better faster stronger". I honestly don't think athletes of their caliber need to save any juice for their second match of the day. If ZYL can consistently play 2 matches a day and still win both, why can't ZN? Sure the guy works harder, but even LYD, KSH and a wealth of korean men's doubles players have proven they can work in two disciplines and be world+olympic champs. Some would also say that doubles is a lot faster than singles, but you also get two players cover a full court, whilst singles players cover a full court by themselves.

    Just a thought to ponder upon, and it'd be interesting to hear other people's opinions on this.
    training and playing a real match is a different things...

    to win a match, pro players need to be on top of the physical & mental abilities because their opponents are pro too...

    of cause, these pro can play day & night but not 100% focus and most likely not at top speed & power

    if a players face a lesser player, there will be no problem for them to whack morning till night, but to play equally good players, that's quite impossible

    even in one tight match, i noticed, players getting slower in game 3, making more mistake due to mental and physical fatigue.

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    canada,vancouver
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    training and playing a real match is a different things...

    to win a match, pro players need to be on top of the physical & mental abilities because their opponents are pro too...

    of cause, these pro can play day & night but not 100% focus and most likely not at top speed & power

    if a players face a lesser player, there will be no problem for them to whack morning till night, but to play equally good players, that's quite impossible

    even in one tight match, i noticed, players getting slower in game 3, making more mistake due to mental and physical fatigue.
    I agree that by the third set, the player might be slower from fatigue. A whole hour or non-stop movement is not the same as planned training. The players train with pro's, and in particular the chinese teams, these players get to spar against reigning world champs and olympic winners.

    But if they can play at the top level, I believe a "walkover" doesn't actually give the players that much advantage. In fact, not playing a game to ramp them up for ascending difficulty might even be disadvantageous.

    Given an hour or two to rest and get some food, possibly even slip in a good stretch and massage, I think ZN would be able to be physically rested enough for another match. However, to be able to play both disciplines, switch the thinking between the two events would be the trickier part to accomplish.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •