struggling to grasp pronation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, May 8, 2014.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hey everyone,

I never quite understood how someone could consistently hit the birdie flat with pronation. For example, in the pronation tutorial by Jimmy Lin, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ, at 1:33 his slow-mo of the stroke looks like he would slice the shuttle to me, since his racket doesn't travel straight, it kind of swivels around.
    I've tried to do the pronation but I always end up reverse-slicing everything, or slicing it.
    Could someone help me out?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    If you observe his "real" swing at 2:45, you will see that his racket is actually almost vertical. This is what you should be concentrating on - using pronation (think about rotating the forearm with racket close to 90 degrees with the arm) whilst having the racket basically vertical at contact - note you do not need to reach as high as possible, just get to it as early as possible and keep it comfortable!Good luckp.s. reverse slicing can happen if you do not turn side on before you hit - make sure you have turned properly!

arsh likes this.
  3. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I agree with MSeeley that you have to have your racket vertical and switching feet when you hit. In addition, when you think you have found an ideal form, practice it a few times without a birdie before you complicate your technique by hitting a birdie.

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

thank you for the replies everyone, I actually tried what thejym did around 4:12 of the video to square up the racket face, seemed to work okay, although the contact point isn't completely vertical though, so i'm afraid i might be losing power

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Do not worry about it being vertical or power or anything like that. Worrying (and hence changing your technique) will lead to unnecessary "tweaking" of the technique, and not enough actual practising. Now your job is to go and hit 10,000 shots using this technique - once you have done that, you will have mastered the technique and will have very good clears, fast drops and smashes.Good luck

6. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Thank you! Practiced it again today, and it seems to be working better, feels like a more natural swing. I still need to practice it while doing a clear in the late forehand corner though, feels kind of awkward

7. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

uh oh, looks like I did it a little vigorously today, the lower part of my tricep near the elbow is hurting a bit.

8. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Take it easy you don't have to swing super fast to get this down, just start slow with clears.

9. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

yes definitely, sometimes I just get carried away because of how fast i can swing the racket using this technique. I'll have to give it some more practices till

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Try rallying half court for awhile each practice trust me it helps a lot!