Holding A Racket...Properly...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MonarchPryde, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MonarchPryde

MonarchPryde Regular Member

Student In High School
    Hi i was just wondering... Does it really Matter How you hold the racket? everyone tells me i hold the racket wrong and tahts why i cant smash as hard and fast. BUT when i hold my racket wrong it still doesnt really affect my gameplay i can sitll beat the people who holds the racket right (Like a handshake) i hold mines more like a tennis racket but 1 hand not two. does anyone else havea problem like me?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Holding the racquet properly is important for stability and proper transfer of power from the body to the face of the racquet. It also allows you to return shots more cleanly as it follows the path of your body swing, arm rotation, supination, pronation etc. Proper grip will also minimize the amount of wind resistance (my theory) no matter how small esp in smashes.

And when the grip had been sufficiently mastered and shots done consistently, it will open up the new possibility of well executed deceptions.

Last but not least, it can help reduce injuries to the arm and wrist as all the correct shots are done at the most economical and least strain of the muscle.

My own experience will be with the part on stability. Before I found out about using the extended forefinger to balance the upper half of the grip, I keep feeling the problem of 'vibrations' as well as lack of power. Once switching to the correct way of holding the racquet, I could make cleaner shots and more convincing deceptions than ever before.

3. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    beating all your peers is very different from having the potential to continuously improve with years of playing. theres also so much you can do and add with the proper form, deception as wilfred mentioned is one thing.

what works right now for you isnt guaranteed to work later on when your peers improve with the proper technique while you encounter a plateu in your improvement because of improper technique.

in case you do change your technique, be ready to lose games while getting used to it. :)

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    MonarchPryde,

Totally agreed with the other posters. Don't settle for just beating your peers, seek perfection... sometimes the reward is in the search itself:).

As you become more aware of different techniques out there, you will find that 'proper' grips are individual grips that are most efficient and effective in certain situations. For now, assuming that your peers are newbies or lower intermediates, their 'proper' v-grip technique allows them to simple concentrate on other fundmentals like footwork and general tactics. It's simpler for them to learn the basics of the game. As you progress, you'll find that no one grip is the best for all situations. It may surprise you to know that there are skilled players who still uses panhandle grip for most of their shots, because it's natural for them.

Also, singles players don't change their grip technique as much as doubles players... so it's helpful to know what the options are and keep an open-mind about them, as most of us amateurs play doubles more.

#4 cappy75, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  5. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Wow!.... There is a specific grip your supposed to use? :eek: I guess its a bit obvious now Im a noob even though Ive been playing since 1999 (only started playing a bit more seriously this year). Can someone post a few pics on the various grips your meant to use and with a caption letting us noobies (me) know when to use them :confused: Also I know this is off the topic but what are BG strings I know they are Yonex strings well I think they are but whats with the numbers all the FAQs say about strings are the tensions.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! BG strings are just strings... they won't matter much for most people anyway:p. For now, just let your stringer worry about them.

About grip techniques, sometimes knowing too much impedes your development... especially if other areas of your game's lacking. Specific grips are only helpful if you're on the spot in a timely manner to use it, so just stick to the v-grip for now and focus on your footwork:).

Also, tk009, search the forum and do a bit of reading... there's lots of issues you seek that's already been discussed before;).

7. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Thanks Cappy Ive been reading threads for the last week :D well ever since I broke my trusty Carbonex 8 Ti in two (I have REALLY lousy footwork) :( and started looking for a new raquet online. As for the strings I dont know any stringers that are actually NEAR where I live, and if they even do badminton strings, thats badminton in South Australia :(

Thanks again

8. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    hold the racket like a hand shake... that's what my coach teach me ...

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yes, Adelaide is not renown for its baddy scenes:D

Hey Tk009,

You're welcome! In your case, there's really little need to get so specific of anything then. Baddy equipment is pretty pricy once you get up to the mid-range models. Might I suggest you stick with an oval frame (just like your trusty Cab8), old Cab8's are really hefty so any of the latest lower CABs available in the department stores will be much easier for you to handle.

As you start learning the game, invest in the skills not the equipment. Get something cheap that'll get you by and get a good pair of dedicated baddy shoes (very important). Once you get better, you can start looking for better racquets. If you ever give up on the sport, at least you won't spend as much:D. Hope that helps!

#9 cappy75, Mar 15, 2004
  10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    True to an extend. For basics, that is how one should do it as, mentioned by cappy up there, it allows you to concentrate on more things at a time as it is close to a 'neutral grip'.

But as you play, you will find that somehow you will switch your grip to another that will suit you better, slowly moving away from the V or the handshake. I know of some good players (above average); they hold their racquets in various 'neutral' positions. One friend with rocket-powered jump smash and solid footwork holds his racquet in perpetual pan handle!

But there is a limit to what 'customized' grip styles can do, compared to the tried and tested methods. Perhaps the experts can explain better. I have only begun to find my own grip of late.

11. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Personally I love Adelaide, visited there a few times and really liked it, last time I was there in 2002 I played at a badminton centre in the south of Adelaide, it had 6 courts and the guy there ( forgotten his name ) had a shop in the hall selling rackets strings etc, he was also a good coach and I think he plays for Australia.
    I think it was called the South Australian badminton academy or something similar.

#11 gerry, Mar 15, 2004
  12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Hi tkoo9,

Glad you are enjoying badminton. Just out of intrests sake, how is breaking your racket related to your lousy footwork? Did you step on it and smash it in two?!

:) :) :) :)

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree with others.

Ppl playing better than you, might not necessary having the proper technique. Ppl can't match up against you, sometimes actually just need some more time to masterize their skill on top of their solid fundamental. This is especially true for fair low lvl of playing, i.e. school, rec. club, etc.

Even though, everyone has his/her own preference, and there's no perfect gripping method for everyone, it still wise to be open for more advice. If you see the majority talking about the same thing, might just take a try. Never know, u might be really surprised to see how much benefit u can get within a short period of time.