My coach has me playing singles tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Russ7, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

I've never played singles, in practice today I did pretty good I guess, but I'm so used to boys doubles. This is the first game of the season I'll be playing and it's my first year of competetive badminton (I'm in grade 11 but I'm still a junior because I was 15 at the beginning of the year). I did very good against the other really good junior in singles today... but I seriously think I'll get worked. Last year(grade 10) any junior high kid could've of beat me, I've progressed very well since then but don't know how I'll do.

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I find it unusual that you are at this age and haven't played Singles. Many of my fellow Juniors, myself included, preferred playing Singles when starting out.

Best thing to do is just relax, relax, relax.

Phil

3. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

I guess I should have more clear. I played singles recreationally against people I know, but all this year I've been playing boys doubles. I prefer boys doubles to singles.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Doubles are fun... singles are just plain workout. Stamina and mental focus is essential in singles whereas responsibilities in doubles are obviously shared. One can't really slack off if there's no partner to blame... er, I mean, help out:D.

5. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

Don't worry about it too Much Russ7 i was 14 when i played in the Adult League of badminton and i was nervous too.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    remember to do lots of stretching before u play singles...otherwise your leg will seize up when your leading into doubles figures and you have to stop running, and end up losing like me:)

hopefully you are more fit:)

7. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

Yeah lol... and I am fairly fit (muscle wise not endurance wise). I won today 15-10, 15-8. I was pretty tired after as I'm not in the best endurance shape after gaining 35 lbs since last year (muscle). My team's still #1 6-0 now. I wasn't playing the better of the two teams today though, I would have lost if I played them (our best player lost to the good team in singles).

8. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Good job Russ!!

From the descriptions of your first post, it sounds like you play in Alberta? And, are matches you're referring to, in the Edmonton High School Leagues?

Any way, keep at it. First year in singles will always bring about some nervousness.

9. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

I do play in Alberta. I play for Fort Saskatchewan High School and we played Salisbury(from Sherwood Park) and some French school from edmonton today (don't know the name) and the games were in Edmonton. I'll be going to zones for Juniors in boys doubles, and possibly singles. We play in Metro, not sure if it's the same league as you, but we play Ardrosson, Sherwood Park, and some Edmonton teams.