Hu Yun Net Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Charlie-SWUK, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    For reference, watch a little of his game with Chen Long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=habUOHvDv04

I have an opponent that's very good at playing these shots. They often play attacking clears, fairly flat lifts that have enough height to force me to move quickly, but not all the way to the back of the court, they aren't afraid to jump to smash, good shot placement with variation, and as this thread suggests - Hu Yun net shots.

I'm in quite a bind with this opponent. The shot combination is giving me some real troubles.

If I play the net shot and threaten the net, I run the risk of that quite flat lift. The depth isn't the problem, but it comes off quite fast, meaning it's tough to intercept right at the net. At the same time, those net shots are uncomfortably close.

If I don't commit at the net enough, I'm forced to play a high lift. With how close I am to the net, it's a struggle to move back into a defensive position. This makes me vulnerable to the smash following straight after.

I'm at a bit of a loss for countering this kind of opponent. I've tried increasing the pace, avoiding any drop shots that are too soft, but even from smashes he seems to be very good at taking the pace away from the shot. The form is quite similar, he comes from under the shuttle quite a lot, lifting it a little bit higher but taking pace away.

Kills aren't an easy option. The height isn't substantial enough for me to make a kill without committing.

What would BC's take on this play be?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

the video is >45 minutes... care to give some examples? :rolleyes:

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    #3 Charlie-SWUK, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

What you're saying is "If I challenge the net I can't handle a flat lift" and "If I cede the net his net shots are too good". So in summary he is just better than you at the net.

Bluntly, you don't pressure the net on a poor net shot, which is what you say you sometimes do if he has the option of a flat lift.

So 1: improve you net shots. 2: Don't pressure the net after a loose net shot. 3: Keep playing fast drops away from the net. 4: When blocking/pushing aim to keep them low over the net with a bit more distance - won't give the opportunity for him to play a *tight* net.

In summary, you can change some shots and tactics a bit to try and minimise his net strength. However, you should also spend time practising general net play and footwork from the net to the rear court. Be aware of the quality of your shot and take up stance & positioning accordingly!

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Thanks, now I know which shots you mean! fyi I noticed Tago tends to play these shots as well. My earlier reply was written not knowing that you didn't always mean 'net shot' when you wrote 'Hu Yun net shot', since some of these are block shots! Given this fact, my response may not be entirely applicable.

At least it's a grey area - the shots are played tight to the net but they are not played from particularly close to the net. Sometimes he plays these shots off smashes.

This type of loopy & tight shot necessarily gives you more time to reach the shuttle. So really you should be able to play a good net shot from it. If not it indicates some kind of mistake with your attack. Possibly it was from out of position or the quality of shot is not sufficient.

#5 amleto, Dec 11, 2015
  6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    That's ok! I knew what you meant about playing it a bit further into the court, and that's what I've been going for; I'm well aware playing a shot too close to the net opens the invitation for that kind of net play. My opponent is indeed good at countering with tight net shots from that position.

That's why I tried putting my drop shots nearer the mid court, aiming for around the service line, but that motion of coming underneath the shuttle still poses a problem. I'm not even entirely sure how they're doing them, when I try to play them the shuttle just kind of slides along my strings and hits the frame.

Chen Long is getting them back, but I feel like Hu Yun is applying less pressure with flat lifts because Chen Long is tall and has a fierce jump. But even then, he's having quite a bit of difficulty on some of these shots - he's sent scurrying for them off balance.

The commentators talk about it being a high risk shot, but thus far my opponent has been very consistent with them.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Something else you could try is to make the shuttle speed as slow as possible. Whether this be via more slice or just a slower shot... up to you to experiment with. The idea is that it is more difficult to judge things when you have to put all the pace back on the shuttle yourself, so hopefully his reply will be less consistent.

The obvious thing to point out is that he can only play these shots when you play to the front/mid court. Maybe you could employ more rear court shots, try to be more attacking with them, and then utilise the front court when you think it is more open.

#7 amleto, Dec 11, 2015
  8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Maybe worth a shot. Just a little worried that this'll only make those shots easier, but hey, it's worth a try.

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It sounds like your opponent is relatively skillful and potentially quite fast (although you haven't explicitly said this).

With that in mind though, one thing seems obvious to me - they like a fast game. Flat lifts, punch clears, jumping out to smash... you have fallen for their trap by thinking "I will try playing faster!!!" This is highly unlikely to work as it matches perfectly with his preferences.

What I would do? A very slow game. Lots of very deep high clears to make him wait for the shuttle to come down (no point in jumping to smash those!). Hit lots of pushes to the mid court, particularly towards the middle of the court (to where he is standing). Complement this by only playing fast drop shots and high clears from the rear court, with the occasional cross court stick smash/slice smash/fast dropshot.

But some things about what you have said bug me - the flat lifts. Whats the problem? Move back, take the shuttle late from behind you and play it safely as a hooked drop shot, or safely as a big straight clear or drive. Flat lifts aren't anything to be worried about.

Furthermore, you say that if you don't challenge for the net, then you have to high lift. This is great - big high lift to the back line. Plenty of time to defend! And whilst his variation may be good, he is unlikely to hit a smash winner off the back line.

You say that kills aren't an option unless you commit. Then commit! Try and make the kill! Or come flying forwards and take it really early and hold the shuttle and flick it over his head, or drive it down the line, or play a cross net shot. But put the effort in - get it early!

Anyway. It sounds to me like there are plenty of things you could be doing, but perhaps you are uncomfortable playing a more defensive game.

Good luck!

Edit: The final thing I forgot to say, was to stop worrying about him, and manage your side of the court. Choose slower trajectory shots that allow you the time to get back into a good position on the court. Use pace and height to ensure that when he moves his feet are outside the court. You will quickly expose his weaknesses. Or he is considerably better than you are and you are unlikely to be able to put enough pressure on him to beat him with your current skill set.

#9 MSeeley, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    [MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION] the flat lifts themselves aren't the problem, I'm a pretty good retriever. It's the combination of those very tight net shots and flat lifts that can put me out of my comfort zone. :D

But it's true, I'm far less comfortable playing the defensive game. There aren't many opponents I can't take control of the rally from, so it's off setting when I have to be on the defense so much.

So knowing this player, even if I play a high deep clear, it's likely he'll smash, or drop and wait for the smash. Should I be replying with more lifts to keep him in the rear court?

I guess I'm gonna just have to be lightning fast on the net.

But yes my opponent is quite skillful, it's good to play against him.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Its obvious from the way you talk that you try to take control of games :) You appear to be constantly trying to find something to do to force your opponent to behave in a way that makes the game comfortable for you. Instead, consider if your mindset would be best changed. With each shot you play, consider if it is adding pressure or relieving pressure from yourself. Then experiment by playing shots that only relieve pressure, or shots that add pressure. When do you win most rallies? (Bear in mind you are either adding or relieving pressure from opponent too.

It sounds like you can easily handle the flat lifts, but are just being discontent about a perfectly viable solution!

To answer your question:
    You need to decide on your tactics. He smashes, why don't you play a cross block to make him move? He smashes, lift it straight back to him and see what he does. I bet he doesn't keep smashing - he probably tries to vary it. What about a straight block or a cross court drive? There are so many options, but just make sure he doesn't get through with his smash. Then a couple of shots on from there, play the really high lift again back to the same corner as before. He will probably get bored and look for an easy way out.

If he drops it, then you need to decide whether you want him to stand on the back line where he is, move along the baseline, or come forwards. Once again, just mix it up - lots of lifts to the back, retrieve everything, then throw in some high looping "hu yun" net shots (everyone does these... especially LCW).

What you need to remember is that the moment you make the game uncomfortable for him, the game he plays will change as he tries to work out how to handle the situation. You may prefer this game that he plays, as it allows you to beat him more easily.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun match.

Finally: do not feel you have to be lightning fast. Thats a clever way of tricking yourself into thinking that you are not capable of moving fast - you treat it as if its something extra special that you can't keep up, or something you will do grudgingly against this opponent only. Instead, try just accepting that you are very fast and that you can take net shots very early. Then go into a game and just be that really fast player!

12. phili

phili Regular Member

It looks easy to play a good net shot but because the shuttle is so tight to the net and it's coming down almost vertically and faster than a spinning net shot, it really isn't that easy. By the time you get to those the shuttle is well below the tape (otherwise it would have been a poor shot). Also most times the shot will be played away from you which makes it even more difficult to get there fast enough to pressure your opponent. Even CL had quite a big problem handling those.

13. cn1766

cn1766 Regular Member

MSeely great ideas. Please keep it coming. It helps the rest of us with our tactics too.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I wonder is this opponent plays dropshots? If he does, probably it's going to be more of the heavily sliced action ones.

Gotta say, Matt's right in standing back a bit on the base. You also have to take note of the shuttle speed. Is it faster that day or slower? This will affect what shots you decided to play.

That hairpin shot is a good one - popularised by Zhao Jian Hua. I think yuo have to spot the situation when it might come and also have good leg strength to cover the extra distance to get to the net. If you can reach the upper part of the net, you can play a netshot. Otherwise the option is to play a high shot right to the back of the court. i.e. give the opponent a neutral shot. You don't win a point but neither does he.

The important thing for you to note is that this part of the rally is about being patient. The person who tries to force the shuttle into a winning position and attempts to do too much will lose the point. And exactly because of that, that person will end up trying too hard and playing more errors/weak shots.

(Charlie, I love playing against guys like you. hehe)

#14 Cheung, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Against guys like me? :D

People you can trick with crafty tight net shots?

But yes he does play heavily sliced dropshots.

While my leg strength is decent, as previously mentioned, I get caught up a bit. It's tough to move between the very tight hair pin shots or the flat lift and do so skillfully. It's something to contact the shuttle, but it's also another thing entirely to avoid providing an error for your opponent to take advantage of.

Luckily I know his backhand rearcourt is a weakness, but it's also tough to keep moving him around and avoiding him taking his round the head smash, which unfortunately for me is quite accurate to the line.