to short >_<

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dDOAN_007, May 27, 2004.

1. dDOAN_007

dDOAN_007 Regular Member

hi im a new player (1st year) in badminton and im not very tall (5.2) haha and whenever i play they always hit it realllllllllly high.. usually id like drop then go middle and theyd just blast it to the back and i can rarely get those what should i do?

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    you need :

1. grow tall, or

2. run faster (faster footwork)

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Suggestions by bluejeff would be useful if you can no longer grow. If you're 13 or 14 years of age, you'd suddenly grow some 10" in the next few years. Then it'll be time for you to smash downwards!

Anyway, two players at the interschool level that I know of, are perhaps on 5' tall and they can jump smash like a pro, the shuttles going on a downwards projectory.

4. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    If you still young (below 17-18), I think you can still grow taller.
    But if you are adult and grow no more, you have to exersice you physic performance : Jump and Footwork.

There were/are many short players nowaday.
    Hendrawan, Susi Susanti, Gong Zhi Zhau, Tri Kush, Han Jian. Mia Audina, etc, etc.

So.... don't worry.... be happy. :)

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm.

For my 2 cents,

I know of a badminton player for my school team, who is just under 5 feet, maybe aroudn 4 feet 7 inches or something around there, or shorter (I'm damn sure he's shorter than the net :D)

Anyways he's one of the most fantastic players in our school and at only around 14 he has made his way into the school team. His smashes are deadly, jump smash, sometimes he doesn't need to jump, his net plays are brilliant and he is one of the only players I have trouble with serving especially in doubles. Why??

Reason is if I serve short, he is so freaking short that he can catch all my short serves with ease, if I serve long the boy can run back to the base line faster than you can say USA. The thing is, even if he lacked height, he still used it to his advantage by being more agile and mobile. So I'd reccomend you do the same, work on your footwork and hits.

Btw that boy can hit end to end ;) his wrist is so powerful even though he is short. Also work on your technique.

My 2 cents, on what I think you should do.

Footwork
    Netplay
    Forehand and backhand hits, try to hit end to end and learn to vary your shots and you'll be on your way. God bless

6. dDOAN_007

dDOAN_007 Regular Member

how could i make my footwork faster??

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Here's how to improve your footwork.

mmm. This URL to a video was posted not long ago I think. Good video to start when learning the basics of footwork. Bear in mind that the technique here is for right handers only. If you are a southpaw like me :D:D:D, then do everything the opposite, as in if the left foot is first, use the other one.

http://www.aspxnet.co.uk/badmintonforum/footwork.zip

Hope this helps

8. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

hi, i found this post quite interesting. I am 14 at the moment, going tograde 10 coming september, and there is a badminton team at our school, and this is my first time trying to join... however I worry about height being a major disadvantage, and in a way I suffer the way dDOAN does (hard to return hits that are sudden and go back far), except I am 5' 4", and I worry about not growing in the future (I seem to hate anything that comes slowly, such as general skills in any aspect, or growth, or muscles), like you people said, as long as you are under 17 or 18 you can still grow? I became so worried about the height thing that I used calculators online, they all came up with 5' 8" adult height based on current height, age, parent heights, and such. Anyways I guess I am getting a bit too paranoid about this...anything you can tell me about height?

I have recently started to take 1 on 1 private lessons (at ClearOne in Richmond, B.C.), but then I now have to work on correcting my grip because I have been using panhandle for a few years. Anyways I also could use improving footwork because I find myself stumbling all the time, or tripping, or not having motivation to catch really sneaky deceiving net shots because I anticipate I cannot return it fast enough.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The men's singles world champion for 2001 is 170cm in height (about 5 foot 7)
    The men's singles world champion for 1999 is 174cm in height (Just over 5 foot 8)

Does that make you feel better? :D

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    For our college league, there was this guy that was short... and I mean short... I dont think he's even 5 feet... but he was good... and I mean GOOD!!! He wasn't very good at singles cuz of his height, but he was good in both doubles n mixed. Anyway... where's Timeless when you need him?

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    is there a downwards trend overall?

12. hatecapletters

hatecapletters Regular Member

System developer
    short is not so bad

Actually, in at least one way, the shorter players have an advantage - assuming that the opponents clears to the baseline aren't ajusted according to your height, the shorter players have a bit more time to get in position for the return, because tha shuttle has to fall the height difference further before reaching the proper position for your stroke ;) Of course, if you opponent is smart/skilled enough to adjust the height of his clears, you're out of luck, then it turns into a matter of leg length (and footwork and reaction time and agility etc.)

take care all
    hatecapletters

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    short players have disadvantage in court coverage as well as reaching high for a shot.

however, short players have lower central of gravity and can initiate movements faster.

also, in doubles, most drives for shorter players are upperhands while for tall players, net height drives comes at the very awkward chest/heck height. bending down a bit is ok, but tiring.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In general, asian ppl are shorter than european and american ppl. However, most of the top elites are from asia. Badminton is not like basketball, in which if u r under 5'5, u can basically forget about it. So, don't feel too bad now, right? ;)

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i agree. badminton is a very "fair" sport, it is not biased towards certain group of people who are taller or shorter.

the reigning Olympics WS champion Gong Zhi Chao is only 5'3" (around 161cm) and she beat a much taller opponent (175cm) in the final.

16. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

There is no substitute for proper footwork.

Even though I have long legs I have to make sure I move quickly. Being taller does mean I'm heavier, so it is somewhat of a disadvantage. But then sometimes I can intercept a shuttle that surprise ppl :)

I remember back in high school the guys that are short were better than me, maybe because they played more? They hitted more accurately as well as running faster.

I agree about shorter people being advantaged in doing drives..so I tend to do lifts instead of having a driving contest :cool: I can return most smashes if they don't know what they're doing ;)

I think short ppl are advantaged playing at the net whereas tall ppl are at the back. But with sufficient training..the effects are reduced.

17. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

Yes, I guess as long as the basics are good, being short isn't a big issue, since you could hit deep and always get ready. Strengthening your weaknesses is useful in this purpose. However tall people can move faster, unless they are heavy, because their long legs or maybe they can jump higher (or maybe not) and their reach is certainly extended, such as if you have to return a net or drop shot within a short amount of time, it could be possibly, whereas the short players might have to put more effort into lunging jumping or dashing to return it. However, I found myself being able to return a lot of shots without moving all that much by just hitting deep, getting weak returns, or by pivoting (the range where you can reach to is very large). The only problem I am getting at the moment is inconsistency (some shots I miss for no reason, my racket just swings the air...) and that I find smashes still hard to return, as they alwaysss hit the ground a feet in front of me (arghh too sudden :eek: )

18. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    it doenst matter at all if your short..............whoever went to the toronto "unofsaa" would know :p me and my partner faced another pair that was considerably way shorter than us, and we didnt stand a CHANCE!!!!! If we dropped, they would always get it because they were so fast.......If we drived, they would drive it straight back at our chest level twice the speed of which we hit it to them...........and whenever we cleared, we had to run outa the way. Their jump smashes were so deadly it was impossible for me to intercept....actually, it was a bad birdie, so when they smashed, the birdie CURVED in mid air.........so being short has the same if not more advantages of being tall in badminton :p

19. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    well dude juss grow tall....
    stretching excercises....hanging by a wall or some rope lolz...well i used these things my self...i was like 5.1 5.2, an year ago...now i am 5.7....
    see ur physician

20. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    if you're complaining I'm barely 5 feet 1" and I'm nearing the end of my growth spurt. If you're panicing what about me????? :confused:

But height really shouldn't matter that much. I mean yes, it does matter (easier to get around and smash when you're taller). But if you're a better player, a smarter player, and a more developed player, then you'll win regardless of height.

I found out I could smash from back court (jump smash) and have the bird on the ground around the white service line. pretty good for a short person like me. I mean I'm 5 feet 1, but if I have my racquet, that's another foot and a bit, and then I jump and that's another 3-5 inches. That's not bad. I mean I end up being some 6 feet 5 or so.

And speed is everything. If you have better stamina, faster reaction, and longer, more efficeient strides the taller guy won't compare to you if he's wasting time staring at the bird, taking small steps instead of long leaps, and is huffing and puffing by the time you guys are on the sixth rally I doubt he'll survive very long.

So just aim to be better. Worry about the rest later. If you can't play, no matter how tall or short you are, you can't play. :) It's encouraging. I've seen little kids who turn vicious when they're on the court and they're at best 4 feet 8. I wouldn't want to play them, they seriously look like demons in uniform white.